New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-07-2011, 02:01

Default Re: Paracord/Survival/Military Bracelets

Help! I am having trouble with the ends of the bracelet. I heat seal them but I have two that seem really lose (one even came through). Any tips? I don't want to make these and have them unravel. What am I doing wrong? Also, the tips get really black and look bad.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2011, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiof2 View Post
Help! I am having trouble with the ends of the bracelet. I heat seal them but I have two that seem really lose (one even came through). Any tips? I don't want to make these and have them unravel. What am I doing wrong? Also, the tips get really black and look bad.
It's kind of hard to explain, but I will try. On the back side, I would cut off one end and use my wood burning tool to seal it to the bracelet. I would heat it up a bit and then use a pliers to really sqeeze the hot paracord against the bracelet. Usually mine do not get black. Then I would take the other end and bring it across the back to the same spot and cut it and then do the same heating and squeezing, so that there is only one dot where both cords some together. By using the pliers, they both sit really flat and are not scratchy.

Make sure you weave really tightly to the buckle. You may need to push your stiches up and add one or two more, even after you think you are done. It makes that buckle sit nice against the weave.

Hope this helps.

Wholesale site: http://www.zibbet.com/TheCraftCorner
Old 06-08-2011, 10:31

I think they are pretty neat.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:18

I make these quite often and use a variety of ends. I also use elastics, the kids seem to prefer them over buckles and knots and can be stretched to your preferred size. I also add ribbons, bottle caps and charms to them.

Your best bet for the ends is to burn them together and make them appear as one piece. (If they turn black you have burned them too long, trim them and try again.) I used a candle when I first started. Takes some practice but looks way better than many I have seen.

You can see a small sample of my work here. I really need to update my Etsy!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:53

I've been making these for a while now, but haven't had any custom orders until now. After you measure the kid's wrist, do you measure the bracelet between the buckles (I make them w/the 3/8 contour clips)? So if I measured the wrist at 7", is the final bracelet from clip end to clip end supposed to be 7"? I thought I was supposed to allow for the buckle, so I measured from inside clip to inside clip (cord part of bracelet only), but the mom tells me it's really big. Am I making sense? What's the right way? THANKS!!

Last edited by Woobie; 11-15-2011 at 09:53. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2011, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobie View Post
I've been making these for a while now, but haven't had any custom orders until now. After you measure the kid's wrist, do you measure the bracelet between the buckles (I make them w/the 3/8 contour clips)? So if I measured the wrist at 7", is the final bracelet from clip end to clip end supposed to be 7"? I thought I was supposed to allow for the buckle, so I measured from inside clip to inside clip (cord part of bracelet only), but the mom tells me it's really big. Am I making sense? What's the right way? THANKS!!
You need to allow a little for the buckle, but not too much. I typically add about 1/2 inch for the buckle to the wrist measurement. 6.5-7.5 inches including buckle fits most kids (not toddlers, but kids) up to about 14. After that, you really need the total length to be about 8 inches. This size will also fit your average female adult. I am wearing one right now that is 8 inches from tip of buckle to tip of buckle. Adult men need them larger, closer to 9 inches for an average male.

HTH!

Wholesale site: http://www.zibbet.com/TheCraftCorner
Old 11-16-2011, 04:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqflame View Post
I make these quite often and use a variety of ends. I also use elastics, the kids seem to prefer them over buckles and knots and can be stretched to your preferred size. I also add ribbons, bottle caps and charms to them.

Your best bet for the ends is to burn them together and make them appear as one piece. (If they turn black you have burned them too long, trim them and try again.) I used a candle when I first started. Takes some practice but looks way better than many I have seen.

You can see a small sample of my work here. I really need to update my Etsy!
omg - the name of your etsy - priceless!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:48

I work in a police department and these are starting to pop up everywhere, I am have to try to make them now, lol.

I really like the clasp on these does anyone know what they are called or where to get them?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by frteach View Post
You need to allow a little for the buckle, but not too much. I typically add about 1/2 inch for the buckle to the wrist measurement. 6.5-7.5 inches including buckle fits most kids (not toddlers, but kids) up to about 14. After that, you really need the total length to be about 8 inches. This size will also fit your average female adult. I am wearing one right now that is 8 inches from tip of buckle to tip of buckle. Adult men need them larger, closer to 9 inches for an average male.

HTH!
Thank you. I think an extra 1/2 inch may do. I just need to play around more I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdana1105 View Post
I work in a police department and these are starting to pop up everywhere, I am have to try to make them now, lol.

I really like the clasp on these does anyone know what they are called or where to get them?
I get my suppkies here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/550-Paracord...ht_2481wt_1139

I get their 3/8" contoured buckle (click on see other items). You may prefer straight so it can be worn to show either side. I find the contour to be more comfortable, though.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:25

My son and I have been making these & he's been selling them at the high school. We buy our paracord from Supply Captain & got our buckles from ScrubHatLady on ebay. Very cheap price for the buckles, and they work great. (we got 100 for $16, including shipping, and we were able to get up to 4 colors) Supply Captain has the best prices that I've found on paracord, and if you call in order, the shipping seems a little better. I called in my last one & still was able to go pay through paypal, so it worked out great! 100 ft is $7, but even just to try it out, 25 ft is $1.95, so that isn't so bad either.

We heat seal our ends with a candle flame. I found that slower heating is better if you don't want it to turn black, but it still happens sometimes. Once it gets "molten" we use the end of needle nose pliers to smoosh it against the bracelet so it's secure. You also have to make sure that you weave the ends back through a bit, or at least twist them, otherwise they will pull out.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif