Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-08-2011, 03:07

Default Re: Paracord/Survival/Military Bracelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by staysha12 View Post
I've read this whole thread a million times but can't remember if this was addressed or not, so sorry in advance if it was! For those of you making the 2 tone ones, wouldn't taking out the inner core and fusing them together lessen the "survival" tactic? I would think they wouldn't be able to be advertised as holding 550 lbs, etc. if you've fused them. Or, am I completely wrong? I made my first one today, and it's all black, but I would love to add some colors. This could become very addicting!!
You could always have a diclaimer stating per color not fused together. Also when you fuse them you are only taking out an inch or so of the inner strings so there is still plenty of inner strings for people to use. http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?n...uct_id=2915018 this listing has a disclaimer stating the strength of the bracelet
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 04-08-2011, 03:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by staysha12 View Post
I've read this whole thread a million times but can't remember if this was addressed or not, so sorry in advance if it was! For those of you making the 2 tone ones, wouldn't taking out the inner core and fusing them together lessen the "survival" tactic? I would think they wouldn't be able to be advertised as holding 550 lbs, etc. if you've fused them. Or, am I completely wrong? I made my first one today, and it's all black, but I would love to add some colors. This could become very addicting!!
Yes and no. The cord will still hold 550lbs, just not the two pieces fused together. If you use the pieces seperately, it'll still hold that weight amount, you just won't have as long of a cord. KWIM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frteach View Post
I think you are right. Once you fuse the two colors, you cannot have the whole length hold the same weight.

Part of the whole survivial thing is that you could use this cord for anything- making a shelter, splinting a leg, making a harness. I don't think it has to be only about rappeling down a cliff. Let's be real- is 8 or 10 feet going to get you very far anyway? That is how I still justify calling them survival bracelets. It's about having a supply of cord with you in case you need it.
I think its really meant for survival meaning more of using it for some of the other stuff you mentioned, it isn't meant for repelling. While it will hold that weight, its not thick enough for repelling (DH is a rock climber/repeller person lol) I mean, you could if you HAD to, but it wouldn't be a good idea lol. But point being, you're very right, its more for an easy, less bulky way of carrying cord incase you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobie View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't remove the entire inner core - just an inch or two where you want to fuse - but I could be wrong. I would still agree about the strength, though. As others have said, however, most are made for the look vs true survival.
Yeah, I agree,. Its more of a look thing vs. an actual usage deal. KWIM?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:02

Good point with the uses for survival.

I made my first 2 today and I'm doing something wrong. I'm just doing the knot end right now and the knot doesn't stay in the loop. Is the loop too big?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:29

I am not stating that they are survival bracelets. I have mostly made them for teens who are only looking at the bracelet and pretty colors! If I were advertising them, I would stick to the one color! I fuse them by taking out 1-2 inches and putting the other color inside then melting the edges together.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:22

I received my buckles today! So excited to start making these!

I splurged and ordered the buckles that have the whistle built in. I figured it might be an added selling point for hikers and hunters. I was afraid the whistle might be rinky-dink though. I am happy to say the whistle is ear blasting.

I made three bracelets this pm and will try to post a picture tomorrow once I figure out how to post pictures. I am actually going to hand these off to a friend to make since I have two shows to get ready for and she needs some cash. She keeps a percentage of each bracelet we sell, once materials are covered. I just couldn't resist making a couple though myself!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:29

just now seeing these, they are awesome.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:50

Here are the three I made. You can see the whistle buckle really well on the pink one. Please excuse the clutter on the desk behind them. That's kind of the state of my life right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEN_0130.jpg (60.0 KB, 87 views)
Old 04-10-2011, 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by frteach View Post
Here are the three I made. You can see the whistle buckle really well on the pink one. Please excuse the clutter on the desk behind them. That's kind of the state of my life right now.

Those are really cute
Old 04-10-2011, 08:04

They look great...where'd you get the buckles?????
Old 04-10-2011, 09:30

These are cool!