http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-21-2011, 08:40

Wink What do you use for Bottle cap necklaces?

Good morning. This is my 1st thread to start here, so I apologize if I put it in the wrong spot.

I make a few bottlecap necklaces and scrabble tile necklaces.

So far I have only used pantyhose and sheer ribbon for the necklaces. I am so tired of only having white, black, and navy blue to offer for the chokers.

Would anyone be willing to tell me what they use for the nylon chokers? I have searched for colored pantyhose and if I am lucky enough to find a color that is bright then they are for kids. I just can't put something tight around a kids neck. I just can't.

I even tried to tie dye and RIT dye some hose last wek. The RIT dye did okay, but the Tye Die just ran all over the place.

Someone told me to use the bands that people use to make potholders with. So, I wasted my money and bought a big bag. When I got them home they were not stretchy enough.

I would so greatly appreciate anyone helping me figure out what to use for chokers. Thanks so much for all of your help. My craft season starts Friday so I need to get them pretty quick if possible.

Tammy
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 03-21-2011, 12:12

Default Re: What do you use for Bottle cap necklaces?

Bottle Cap Co. is my favorite store for bottlecap supplies. Here's the link to their chokers. http://www.bottlecapco.com/Bottle-Ca...aces_c_33.html

Some of the more experienced crafters on here may have a cheaper source though!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:38

I use colored tights to make mine with. I've used lil girls before and haven't had a problem with them being tight on them. They stretch a lot.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:37

I use Microfiber tights. I buy the kids size 14 - 16, but you can also buy them in adult sizes if you want the choker a little bigger. I have tried the 14 - 16 on me, and it is not too tight at all, plus as someone said, they are very stretchy.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00

You can find them already made on Etsy. I just finally bought some right now, so we will see if they help me with getting rid of my magnetic bottle caps. I just bought a pack of 20 asst to see.

Right now I'm trying black satin and colorful shoestring adjustable cords and they are just not selling locally. I sell more of the ones with the split ring.

I went searching for fabric in the L.A. garment district and have a ton of stretchy fabric to try, but still have yet to take the time to make them. I finally decided that it's probably just easier for me to purchase some already made.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43

I sell a TON of these on the stretchy tights with washer. They are perfect for the magnetic/interchangeable necklaces. I usually take a bottlecap with to Lowes or Home Depot to match up with the washers. I like for the magnet to "sit" in the hole of the washer. It's has a stronger hold and the bottlecap doesn't spin upside down and go all over the place.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:12

Thanks so much everyone.

I use washers as well.

It is really funny, I just bought magnets from 2 separate sellers on eBay. One I have bought from before. Well I saw 100 of them for .99 (bid not a buy it now) and the S&H was $1.99 from China. OMG I wish I could describe how TINY these magnets are. LOL ALL 100 of the fit in a baggie the size of my thumb. They are smaller than any pill I have ever seen/taken. They are even smaller than a sweet pea. I feel like such a fool. I guess I misread the size or something.
Don't get me wrong. They are strong little boogers, but I would be afraid that if for some reason they did fall off then the person would never find it again. I would take a picture of them, but you still couldn't picture how teeny they are.

I am going to try gluing a couple of them on a bottle cap or scrabble tile to see just how well or NOT they hold. Oh well, I guess I got what I paid for. Tee Hee

Do you find bright colored hose at Wal-Mart of where do you buy them from? I think if the tie dyed shirts that we made sell then I am going to buy a bunch of RIT dye and just dye some hose when I do the next shirts that we make. I just hate to spend that much on dye for just panty hose.

I would consider buying the pre-made ones, but I hate spending that much money on them when I know that they probably made them themselves somehow, ya know? I guess I just try to spend as little as possible to still have a quality item so that I can sell it myself for as little as possible.

Thanks to the person who sent me the website. I am going to check that out. I won't be able to order until after the first because I have 2 craft shows in the next two weeks. Way too busy trying to get everything done.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:06

I bought some of the tiny, tiny rare earth magnets for something else and when I ran out of the ones I bought for the bottle caps I used them. They work, just not as nicer as the bigger ones... and they fit a little funny on the washer, kind of goes in them.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:12

I've seen the premade nylon stretchy bands.. whenyou make your own, do you just cut the pantyhouse like 1" bands?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:47

Welcome to hipgirls Tammy!

I agree with the poster who mentioned etsy as a place to see several different styles of necklaces. What's nice is you can buy just a few to see if you like them first

Tags
bottle caps, chokers, scrabble tile