New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-21-2011, 07:29

Default Glazes for bottle caps? HELP!

I am new to making bottle caps and have done some with the image in the bottle cap using Mod Podge Dimensional Magic. I like it. However, it only comes in small bottles and I'm wanting something that comes in larger bottles because I use quite a bit of it.

I also want to do images on top of the caps but never tried it and want to know what I'm doing and what is best to use for it.

I've read on here that many of you use an adhesive to or make your images into stickers before doing a glaze. Is buying the $8 sticker maker easier? I imagine it becomes expensive to do that. If you adhere them, what do you use that works best?

Also, what glaze do you use? I hear all about Diamond Glaze but cannot find it anywhere at my craft stores and even online it's sold out in the larger bottles on almost every site I find or it's $20 for a 10oz. bottle. Any cheaper suggestions, or is it worth the $20?

Help!!! I'm also going to purchase the tutorial for GIMP from Amanda today to start making my own images.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 07:59

Default Re: Glazes for bottle caps? HELP!

ET Light is a good glaze but there is another if ya five me a second I will find it for ya. Also I use therma webbing which is in scrap booking and its a sheet of double sided sticky sheets to put images on. I just punch them out the same way I punch the images.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsking14 View Post
I am new to making bottle caps and have done some with the image in the bottle cap using Mod Podge Dimensional Magic. I like it. However, it only comes in small bottles and I'm wanting something that comes in larger bottles because I use quite a bit of it.

I also want to do images on top of the caps but never tried it and want to know what I'm doing and what is best to use for it.

I've read on here that many of you use an adhesive to or make your images into stickers before doing a glaze. Is buying the $8 sticker maker easier? I imagine it becomes expensive to do that. If you adhere them, what do you use that works best?

Also, what glaze do you use? I hear all about Diamond Glaze but cannot find it anywhere at my craft stores and even online it's sold out in the larger bottles on almost every site I find or it's $20 for a 10oz. bottle. Any cheaper suggestions, or is it worth the $20?

Help!!! I'm also going to purchase the tutorial for GIMP from Amanda today to start making my own images.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/...lores%26trade%

Here it is I believe it also has a video for it on the site
Old 03-21-2011, 09:09

I use a glaze called Triple Thick on top of the images. It works great, but my craft stores locally just stopped selling it, so I need another option.
I also just use a dab of tacky glue to adhere my images onto the cap. I do like the idea of using the double sided squares from the scrapbooking section. That would work well too!

Another tip? When I first started with bottlecaps I purchased them from another crafter- she put a touch of glitter on top of the image/glaze. It just adds a nice touch. So I do that too!

Good luck-

www.simplystitching.etsy.com
Old 08-16-2011, 01:07

Did you have any trouble with the Mod Podge DM cracking or causing any distortion to the image after a while? Did you print your image on paper or photo paper?

I just did some and they look great but just found out from someone else that using this Mod Podge Dimensional Magic is not good and it will be a problem in time. I want to make sure I am ok to give the bow to the customer.

Please let me know your experience was with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsking14 View Post

Old 08-16-2011, 01:13

The diamond glaze is the best IMO, so I woul pay the $20 but you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:45

I just ordered some other glaze that was recommended to me but I am wondering if I am safe to give the one I already made to my customer. I am not going to use it again for fear it will be a problem, but I saw some people here were using it before and I wondered if they ended up with any problems later with the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammperry2 View Post
The diamond glaze is the best IMO, so I woul pay the $20 but you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:59

Diamond glaze has always worked well for me. I tried something else once (can't remember what) and didn't like it. The large bottle goes a loooooong way when making bottlecaps. Just remember it looks better if you don't get it too thick.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg