Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-14-2011, 05:48

Default For those of you who make adult tutus...

...how do you measure your tulle? I am wanting to make a few adult tutus and would like to know the best way to do this. For kids sizes I cut a piece of cardboard to length and then wrap it around that. It's hard to find a piece of cardboard that long though! Any tips?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2011, 07:16

Default Re: For those of you who make adult tutus...

when you say measure, do you mean the length of tulle???
If so i always measure from my waist to 4" above my knees. I always make sure to put longer tulle in the back so that way it will be even and not so short on adults backhind.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:57

If you're talking about measuring to cut you can get a cardboard that is the length of the tutu you want and only cut one end so it's twice as long.

So, you want a 20" tutu in length, wrap it around a 20" board but cut one end so that when it's laying flat it's 40".
Old 03-24-2011, 08:06

I think the OP is referring to longer tutus rather than the shorter ones. If that's the case, you can get a large cardboard box at any moving supply place or even Walmart carries some pretty cheap (in the shipping aisle with tape, padded envelopes, etc). I do have an issue with the cardboard folding a little, but to remedy that situation, I just duct tape it to where it won't bend (as much)....haven't figured out a better way yet so until I do, duct tape it is!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:22

This is another reason why I love bolt tulle! I have a 8ft cutting table and I cut everything there...no need for pieces of cardboard or cookie sheets.
Yvonne
Old 03-24-2011, 09:17

I never got any updates on this thread until now.

I was actually referring to when you cut the tulle. I wish I had room for a cutting table-right now my "studio" is a corner in my living room. Will try finding a large heavy duty box.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydelaney View Post
This is another reason why I love bolt tulle! I have a 8ft cutting table and I cut everything there...no need for pieces of cardboard or cookie sheets.
Yvonne
This is how we do it! And believe me we have made 1000's of adult tutus!!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:31

I have foamboard from the dollar store and tape 2 together at whatever length I need and wrap it.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberPerry View Post
This is how we do it! And believe me we have made 1000's of adult tutus!!
I believe you one that one! I was so shocked to see your name for the first time on here. I look at your etsy shop from time to time-you have fab things!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardson42 View Post
I have foamboard from the dollar store and tape 2 together at whatever length I need and wrap it.
I think I will try the foam core board for now. That is until I can talk hubby into building me my own separate house devoted only to crafting!! That would be so awesome! If richardson42 can make her amazing tutus on it then it should be good enough for mine!

(BTW...I am still getting compliments on the adorable petti/leg warmer pics you did for me a while back! You do such beautiful work!)
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.

Tags
adult, measure, tulle, tutu