150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-14-2011, 11:23

Default Beginner Question - Tutus and Hair Bows

Hello Ladies,

First of all , I would like to thank you all for sharing great tutorials and tips. I started doing some hair bows for my daughter with the help of these tutorials. Now my question is on the Tutu's. Just to be able to have a couple of tutu's for my daughter, is it cheaper to buy them [I have seen great collections in the etsy stores] or make them. Supplies wise , will I be investing a lot more than I would have paid to purchase them etsy. Hope I am making some sense.

For example, IF I just need a couple of bows, it does not make sense to invest in glue gun, box of alligator clips, couple of yards of diff color ribbons etc. Right?

Thanks for reading my explaination and sorry If I posted something that does not make any sense!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 03-14-2011, 11:47

Default Re: Beginner Question - Tutus and Hair Bows

I definitely know what you mean. This is the story of my craft life! lol

I don't sell anything I make as I only make bows, tutus and hair accessories for one tiny toddler. I pay retail prices for most things thereby over-paying for most things I use.

Would it be cheaper for me to buy her a tutu than make one? Yes. Would it be cheaper to buy her korker bows than make them? Probably yes.

The thing is, I truly enjoy making these things for her. I love seeing her wear them. So I spend the money it takes to make them myself.

However, I have a huge supply of basic craft necessities. Scissors, glue guns, self-healing mats, etc. so I didn't have to buy those. If you need to literally start from scratch, then you might want to ask yourself how much you want to invest in buying supplies.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:19

If you have friends that would be interested in making bows for their daughters, have "Bow Making Parties". Everyone brings a few rolls of ribbon, a glue gun and some accessories (alligator clips, buttons or other centers). This way you are not buying a roll of ribbon for just one bow or a bag of centers and only using 1 or 2. It cuts down on expenses some and a fun way to get new ideas.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:19

actually it would probably be cheaper to make a tutu you just need some elastic and most stores cut for you so you only have to get as much as you need and probably about two rolls of tulle and you will probably use it all or most of it even at the store that only cost about 6-7 dollars
Old 03-14-2011, 12:34

I think it depends on what type of tutus you are wanting, a simple single or 2-tone color basic tutu I think you could probably do on your own quite easily and not hurt yourself by spending more. The more elaborate tutus aren't so much more expensive to make, but are definately more time consuming and take more 'work' to understand and figure out. I think it more depends on what you love to do. I love playing with ribbon and making bows and sculptures, I love taking tulle and see how I can manipulate it to make something special for my little girl. But I can't seem to find joy in yarn, and rolled flowers just seem to make my head spin. I really want to sew, but my christmas present is still sitting 2.5 hours away, and I have no desire at all to learn to use an embroidery machine. If you don't love doing it, it is just work, and for the amount of pain and headache it causes you it is often less 'expensive' over all to just buy it from someone that does love to do it.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:07

Like Maxine, I only have one "customer," but I am also a craft supply hoarder so it's easy for me to make something up with minimal cost. And I admit to the ego boost when she gets compliments.

The tutu I wanted for her cost $40, so I knew I could make it for less. Even for a huge, super complicated tutu (the famous "magic tutu") the cost was under $10. I waited for Hobby Lobby to have a sale on the rolls of tulle before I bought. Otherwise a lot of fabric stores will have sales on tulle yardage for a buck/yard. If you already own a healing mat and rotary cutter, this is super cheap, but will take longer. It just depends on what you already own and what your time is worth.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:09

I think that it is cheaper to make your own tutu. However, it is slightly time consuming until you become good at it. Bows, on the other hand, I don't think it is worth buying ribbon at retail prices to make one bow. You could have bought 2 or 3 for that price. However, if you love to do it and you make something unique with it...then it is worth it. :-)
Old 03-14-2011, 01:15

Thanks for reading my post and all your input. I do not have any craft supplies. I will wait until HObby Lobby has a sale and get the things needed. I know exactly what you all mean when you make somthing for your DD and she when she loves to wear them. I made a couple of bows and she was all excited to wear them and was telling everybody in her class that " my mommy made these for me". The tutu that i liked on etsy is close to $35, keeping that in mind I may try to collect the tutorials and tips and try to make a couple! who knows may be I will get addicted to the tutus just like the bows.
Thanks Ladies
Old 03-14-2011, 01:40

Yep -- I agree with the rest -- tutus are definitely cheaper to make! Bows can be expensive to make if you're only planning to make one here or there.

Deanna
www.birdsongbows.etsy.com
www.birdsongbows.blogspot.com
Old 03-14-2011, 02:06

Let me clear one thing up lol When I was saying it might be cheaper to buy a tutu than make one, I was referring to the cheap, inexpensive ones from HH. For the fancier kind, it is cheaper to make them than buy one.

"Magic" tutu is the same as "Mafia" tutu, correct? At least, that's how I understand it. (Is that right?)