http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-12-2011, 10:47

Arrow Petti tutu help!!!!

Hi, I'm trying to make my dd a petti tutu for a small baby pageant coming up soon and can't seem to figure out how to make it super duper fluffy at the bottom and actually all around. I read somewhere here that I can use as much as 3 strands of tulle per slip knot. When I did that I had big gaps between the knots, kwim? I don't want to sew a tutu because I don't like sewing. I know I've seen fluffy tutus without sewing. Does anyone have another way of doing this? I've read and read threads here, looked up free tutorials, etc... Am I missing something?. TIA! I know we have a lot of awesome tutu makers here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tutu 001.jpg (85.3 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by sweetgirlythings; 03-12-2011 at 11:39. Reason: added pic
Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2011, 11:08

Default Re: Petti tutu help!!!!

Im interested in the "secret" too! Mine dont seem to be as full as some Ive seen. But as for the gaps between knots I pinch mine thin before I do the loop and then squish them together as much as I can after knotting about 4-5. I hope you can get a good visual because I am terrible at explaining on paper sorry!!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:23

Hi, thanks for responding. I've tried that too. I'm wondering if I'm making the knots too tight. It seems like somethings missing. I'll take a pic and post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani-Glam View Post
Im interested in the "secret" too! Mine dont seem to be as full as some Ive seen. But as for the gaps between knots I pinch mine thin before I do the loop and then squish them together as much as I can after knotting about 4-5. I hope you can get a good visual because I am terrible at explaining on paper sorry!!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:14

You need to add a lot more knots to it for it to be full. Really pack them in there tightly to get a fuller tutu.

Last edited by richardson42; 03-13-2011 at 12:15. Reason: typo
Old 03-13-2011, 12:26

Thanks. How will I know when enough is enough? I've read where if you put too many knots, it will stretch out the elastic. That's what I'm afraid of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardson42 View Post
You need to add a lot more knots to it for it to be full. Really pack them in there tightly to get a fuller tutu.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgirlythings View Post
Thanks. How will I know when enough is enough? I've read where if you put too many knots, it will stretch out the elastic. That's what I'm afraid of.
The tutu God has spoken! Jessica is THE best.

If I do too many and stretch it out I just cut and resew it until it fits. Highly scientific.

Want to know what all the fuss is about? Join Bownanas on facebook. 1,300 members and growing!

I'll let you sleep with my husband before I give you my supplier information, so don't ask.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:31

HERE IS THE ANSWER: Use a crochet headband as the waistband instead of elastic. You can put at least 3 rows of tulle on it and they stay even because of the holes in the band. Just poke through the holes and tie. Easy-schmeezy. When the holes are all filled, you are done. There are other ways too I am sure, but this is what works the best for me.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:35

Awesome, thanks! Btw, is everything okay? I read something in the Ruby room. I will continue to add knots...I will post the finished product..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMamaof4 View Post
The tutu God has spoken! Jessica is THE best.

If I do too many and stretch it out I just cut and resew it until it fits. Highly scientific.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:37

I've read about crochet headbands as waistbands. I've heard they stretch out. I might try it the next time i decide to make a tutu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhendersonmomof2 View Post
HERE IS THE ANSWER: Use a crochet headband as the waistband instead of elastic. You can put at least 3 rows of tulle on it and they stay even because of the holes in the band. Just poke through the holes and tie. Easy-schmeezy. When the holes are all filled, you are done. There are other ways too I am sure, but this is what works the best for me.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgirlythings View Post
Awesome, thanks! Btw, is everything okay? I read something in the Ruby room. I will continue to add knots...I will post the finished product..

Yes, thank you. We got to come home. He's still on treatments round-the-clock, but he's stable now.

Want to know what all the fuss is about? Join Bownanas on facebook. 1,300 members and growing!

I'll let you sleep with my husband before I give you my supplier information, so don't ask.
Sponsored Links

Tags
dress, petti tutu, tutu, tutu skirts