3/8" HEART GROSGRAIN RIBBON zebra grosgrain ribbon-new colors 7/8" classic stripe grosgrain ribbon 7/8" frog grosgrain ribbon cheetah animal prints grosgrain ribbon grosgrain ribbon korkers
Shop by color--grosgrain ribbon, hair bows, craft supplies

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-09-2011, 08:32

Default How to price tutus and tutudress's

Ok so I am wondering how you ladies do this. I usually charge $20 for a tutu for toddlers with a bow. I realized that Im not making much off some of my things because I dont charge much. I was just asked to make a sz 12 year girl a tutu and Im like crap how much to charge. She wants 3 colors and zebra ribbon. How much would you guys charge? I also add $6 for the bow which is large double layer with spikes.

Tutu dress's obviously use a ton of tulle. How much would I charge for these for the bigger girls. I was thinking around $60 but it seems like ALOT of money but its alot of materials.Advice and idead please?
Sponsored Links
silk flowers
Old 03-09-2011, 09:19

Default Re: How to price tutus and tutudress's

60 seems too high to me. No one in the area I live would pay that I don't think but it depends on where you live. When I made them I charged in the 30ish range.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:24

I have a hard time pricing mine too, I hate to charge too much BUT at the same time there's no point in making them if I'm not going to make money off them kwim? I pretty much set a base price for my time then just add more based on how much tulle I need. So for a 12 month it's significantly less. I guess what I'm saying is if you charge $20 for a normal size tutu, for like a 4-5 year old, and lets say you're going to need an additional 4 rolls of tulle at $1.80 a roll (I round up to cover travel costs etc.) I'd just add another $8.00. Does that make sense?

Like I said I'm not good at pricing either lol
Old 03-09-2011, 09:28

Well off the top of my head, maybe $35. 3 layers would be 100 yards of tulle or more I think. I've never done one that big though.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:33

Yea that was my problem I have never done a size 12 so I have no idea how much tull it will take. The tutu dress is what i had at $60 for a size 12 year. The smaller sizes starts at $25 and go up a little for each bigger size. A size 12 is going to take ALOT of tull though so I was trying to figure in the extra cost. I have no idea how much it would take to make it though
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark08 View Post
Yea that was my problem I have never done a size 12 so I have no idea how much tull it will take. The tutu dress is what i had at $60 for a size 12 year. The smaller sizes starts at $25 and go up a little for each bigger size. A size 12 is going to take ALOT of tull though so I was trying to figure in the extra cost. I have no idea how much it would take to make it though
I don't think $60 for a 12 year old is too much at all! I mean, you look on etsy and there's 2-3T sizes for that much and even more. For the future, I would make a set price for each size, depending on the type of tutu and how much work goes into it. That way it's right there on your website, etsy, facebook....wherever you sell your stuff. If you have loyal customers, they will come back to you no matter the price. Trial and error for pricing is all you can do. If they're not selling for $60, put them "on sale" for a period of time for $50...that's a good way to get your repeat customers who will end up realizing your quality is good and won't mind paying the "retail price" once your "sale" ends
Old 03-09-2011, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvstarz2001 View Post
I don't think $60 for a 12 year old is too much at all! I mean, you look on etsy and there's 2-3T sizes for that much and even more. For the future, I would make a set price for each size, depending on the type of tutu and how much work goes into it. That way it's right there on your website, etsy, facebook....wherever you sell your stuff. If you have loyal customers, they will come back to you no matter the price. Trial and error for pricing is all you can do. If they're not selling for $60, put them "on sale" for a period of time for $50...that's a good way to get your repeat customers who will end up realizing your quality is good and won't mind paying the "retail price" once your "sale" ends
That helps appreciate it. Im thinking if I had to guess 300 yard of tulle for that size. I will deffinitly do the sale from time to time. Right now Im selling them very well but this was my first order for a bigger kid.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:08

I have no idea what to charge for tutus! I made one for my daughter to wear to dance class, now several of the moms have asked me how much I would charge for them!!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:30

Set your price according to what is worth your time and effort. Some of my dresses are $75 or more and I have no problem selling them, but I use a lot of tulle and the quality is better than others for less money. I wouldn't even consider buying a tutu dress that was only $30 for my DD because I would assume it was not good quality. That doesn't mean it isn't good, but that is just how people think. More money = better.
Also, charging $30 for something that costs you $15 in supplies and fees is just crazy. That is undercutting the market big time.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:38

I understand that but my customers prefer the cheaper the better. I have raised my prices on things because I started out not charging to much. Most of my customers were military wives who were stay at home moms but now that I have alot of online customers I had to raise a little. In my mind the tutu dress's I should make at least $20 off of each but I guess we will test the waters and see. If not its not worth me making them. Im not having any trouble selling them right now/ I looked online and tried to stay around the same prices as the ones on etsy. Some are pretty cheap on there. I am new at it so if I start doing fancier things and such then I will charge more
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/MMexclusivewholesaleribbon-300.jpg