New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-08-2011, 10:12

Default Cutting Tulle

Ok ladies my business is picking up especially with Easter coming. I started making tutu dress's. These are pretty popular. I have seen quicker methods to cutting the tulle but Im wondering where do you get cardboard or foam board that long. So you cut it to the length you need the tulle strips to be and wrap it around and then cut at both ends and walla you have quicker tulle strips then cutting each and every piece.

Where and what should I try for these strips. I got foam board but its only long enough for infant size. Also, how do you make sure your tulle ends are even and not messy/ Mine come out crooked and I have to go back and cut and cut to make them all even. Thanks guys any help or ideas would be awesome.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17

Default Re: Cutting Tulle

I use corrugated cardboard cut from boxes (so far ones just in my house - diaper boxes, storage boxes etc. lol) but I cut it HALF the length of the strip I need (or the length I want the skirt to be plus 1 or 2" for the knot). Then you only cut at ONE end and you end up with strips two times the length of your cardboard. This way I don't need crazy long strips of cardboard!!
When you cut, you need to make sure your scizzors are in between the layers of cardboard, making it a straight cut!
HTH!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17

Michael's and Hobby Lobby have the foam board. I'm pretty sure the size that they sell on the floor is big enough, but if you need bigger they sell as big as 48"x60" and in the frame shop. They'll even cut it for you for a small fee.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenni2times View Post
I use corrugated cardboard cut from boxes (so far ones just in my house - diaper boxes, storage boxes etc. lol) but I cut it HALF the length of the strip I need (or the length I want the skirt to be plus 1 or 2" for the knot). Then you only cut at ONE end and you end up with strips two times the length of your cardboard. This way I don't need crazy long strips of cardboard!!
When you cut, you need to make sure your scizzors are in between the layers of cardboard, making it a straight cut!
HTH!
This is what I do as well. I first did it with the cardboard the actual length of the piece (i.e. 20", 22", etc.) and then I switched to the half length method. Either way works just fine
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21

I use a box. I only cut once and in the opening that way it is smooth. Plus, I always trim the tulle after it is together anyway.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:23

Ok Thanks guys. That is what I did the last time was just cut once so they are twice as long. Ill just stick to that. I wanted to make sure there was not an easier way lol.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:07

I wrap mine around a really thick board book of my son's. I tuck one end in the pages and wrap. Then I cut once. I pretty much have a different board book for each size. What's nice is that the books are already kicking around and I don't have to store different sizes of cardboard or anything like that!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenni2times View Post
HTH!
This makes a lot of since and I was going to suggest this as well. When I wrap my tulle around the cardboard piece, I try to keep it as even as possible and make sure it overlaps. When I cut I make long cuts instead of short ones. I've noticed that with the short cuts it tends to be more choppy, but the longer cuts give you more of a straight finish. I also hold my tulle down with four rubber bands (two at both ends).

Mom to Kali & Sia
http://kalihunefer.blogspot.com/ - Our Miracle
Old 03-08-2011, 07:27

I wrap mine around a cookie sheet. It doesn't bend so everything is uniform.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:55

I use a rotary cutter to cut mine and it makes it even!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg