http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-07-2011, 12:11

Default Should I buy a Cricut or ...

So I am new to the Cricut and personal cutter machines,so I have no idea how they work. I know you have to buy dies or shapes (idk).

I am wondering do any of these machines out there that you can create your own shape/template and have the machine cut it?????? Does that make sense.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/candylandbeads.jpg
Old 03-07-2011, 12:48

Default Re: Should I buy a Cricut or ...

I have the Cricut Expression (the BIG one) and have never purchased a cartridge! They usually come with one, so that's all I needed to use Sure Cuts Alot. That cost me $75 3 years ago for 2 downloads. I think you can find it cheaper now. I have downloaded hundreds of free fonts and dingbats from the web. I've also installed Inkscape which is a free program, that allows me to import any image and saves it as a svg file, which is the type of file needed for SCAL. There are many tuts on youtube for using Inkscape and SCAL together. HTH!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:57

OMG, so is this what I need?????????? Like if I want to cut out a ton of fabric instead of hand cutting them I could have it do it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyshayngirl View Post
I have the Cricut Expression (the BIG one) and have never purchased a cartridge! They usually come with one, so that's all I needed to use Sure Cuts Alot. That cost me $75 3 years ago for 2 downloads. I think you can find it cheaper now. I have downloaded hundreds of free fonts and dingbats from the web. I've also installed Inkscape which is a free program, that allows me to import any image and saves it as a svg file, which is the type of file needed for SCAL. There are many tuts on youtube for using Inkscape and SCAL together. HTH!

Last edited by jos77; 03-07-2011 at 01:13.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:00

Oh and what are all those "cutting mats" for? Do I need them?? I feel like such an indiot asking these questions but I know NOTHING about these.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:03

I have the personal cutter machine.
The mats are sticky and your card stock goes on there and then through the machine to cut.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:04

Yes you absolutely need the cutting mats. I buy the 12x24 mats b/c I cut vinyl. I have cut fabric w/ mine, but I'd rather do it by hand. Sometimes the machine can catch the fabric and then you've wasted some. But I won't make that same mistake cutting by hand . If you do try it, you need to add the stabilizer first. The mats are sticky. Whatever you're cutting goes on the mat (paper, vinyl, fabric, does NOT cut felt) and then the mat feeds through while the blade cuts your design. I just used my cricut for the templates and still cut by hand. So if you're only wanting it to cut fabric, it's not worth the money.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12

Thanks for all the info, I am trying to cut down on my time because somethings I am cutting over 50 pcs, MY HANDS!! lol

Quote:
Yes you absolutely need the cutting mats. I buy the 12x24 mats b/c I cut vinyl. I have cut fabric w/ mine, but I'd rather do it by hand. Sometimes the machine can catch the fabric and then you've wasted some. But I won't make that same mistake cutting by hand . If you do try it, you need to add the stabilizer first. The mats are sticky. Whatever you're cutting goes on the mat (paper, vinyl, fabric, does NOT cut felt) and then the mat feeds through while the blade cuts your design. I just used my cricut for the templates and still cut by hand. So if you're only wanting it to cut fabric, it's not worth the money.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:26

Quote:
I was just going to ask if it could cut felt lol darn, my SIL has a cricut and I was wondering if it could help me with a project Im working on... I have to make 9 cute smiley faces (using felt maybe) and I thought if I could use that it would make it look a lot neater & would be easier.
hmmmm....
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies