New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-06-2011, 05:28

Question How do you know when a tutu is "done" ?

I've been working on my first tutu project for the past few days. I keep adding strips and moving them over down the elastic.

My question is, how do you know when you're done? Right now, it looks pretty full but there's still quite a bit of room left on the elastic band. Am I pushing them too close together? Should I space them further apart?

Thanks girls
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 03-06-2011, 05:41

Default Re: How do you know when a tutu is "done" ?

are the strips bunching up or overlapping one another? if they are i think you are done
Old 03-06-2011, 05:42

I cant make tutus because of this! I made one super full skirt because I kept adding and adding and then it was like so big it wouldnt fit my DD! Im not sure when and where to add everything because mine got huge!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly760 View Post
are the strips bunching up or overlapping one another? if they are i think you are done
They're really suuuper close to one another. I wonder if I should spread them out?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCheek View Post
I cant make tutus because of this! I made one super full skirt because I kept adding and adding and then it was like so big it wouldnt fit my DD! Im not sure when and where to add everything because mine got huge!
Exactly! That's what it's beginning to look like!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
They're really suuuper close to one another. I wonder if I should spread them out?

yes spread them around, the more you add the more you will stretch the elastic and then it will be too big for her...on an average for my daughters waist size i use 50 yards of tulle to make it super full, no more and my daughter is a size 3t in bottoms
Old 03-06-2011, 05:45

You don't want to stretch the elastic too much; otherwise there won't be any give to it when someone wears it. When I make my tutus I stretch it just enough so when I pull on the elastic there are no spaces where you can see the elastic if it's stretched. The elastic keeps its shape and will still stretch. If you get it so tight it's not stretching anymore you've gone too far. As far as waist measurements. I've found using 7/8" no roll elastic that if I make it 5" less than the waist size I want it works perfectly. HTH
Old 03-06-2011, 05:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly760 View Post
yes spread them around, the more you add the more you will stretch the elastic and then it will be too big for her...on an average for my daughters waist size i use 50 yards of tulle to make it super full, no more and my daughter is a size 3t in bottoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinasK View Post
You don't want to stretch the elastic too much; otherwise there won't be any give to it when someone wears it. When I make my tutus I stretch it just enough so when I pull on the elastic there are no spaces where you can see the elastic if it's stretched. The elastic keeps its shape and will still stretch. If you get it so tight it's not stretching anymore you've gone too far. As far as waist measurements. I've found using 7/8" no roll elastic that if I make it 5" less than the waist size I want it works perfectly. HTH
Ahhhhh

Yeah, I think I'm crowding too many strips on. Thanks so much for the great advice everyone

(it'll have to wait until tomorrow though.. I'm all tutu'd out for today )
Old 03-07-2011, 02:17

This is a really good post. I wondered the same thing and when I noticed my band start to stretch, I stopped adding the pieces on. I'm wondering how much to take off the actual size of the waist. I've heard some say take off 2 to 3 inches or even more. Then when sewing the elastic piece to overlap the elastic an inch or 1/2 an inch. I think most of it is preference.

Mom to Kali & Sia
http://kalihunefer.blogspot.com/ - Our Miracle
Old 03-07-2011, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferua View Post
This is a really good post. I wondered the same thing and when I noticed my band start to stretch, I stopped adding the pieces on. I'm wondering how much to take off the actual size of the waist. I've heard some say take off 2 to 3 inches or even more. Then when sewing the elastic piece to overlap the elastic an inch or 1/2 an inch. I think most of it is preference.
I took a look at the tutu this morning (it's sitting there waiting to be worked on) and the thing looks like a solid wall of tulle lol

I think I need to spread the pieces out and see what happens then.

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.