new products--pop dot diy pinwheel bows

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/no-liner-bottle-cap-combo.jpg

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-soft-ball.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-dizzy-bees-ribbon-grosgrain-combo-.JPG
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/ladybug-applique-red-dot.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/half-wrapped%2050mm-snap-clips.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/flat-back-pearl-shpk.JPG

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 09:34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,156
Default Re: How do you know when a tutu is "done" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
I took a look at the tutu this morning (it's sitting there waiting to be worked on) and the thing looks like a solid wall of tulle lol

I think I need to spread the pieces out and see what happens then.
Maxine,

I ran into the same problem with the Valentine's Day tutu I started to make for DD1. Once I realized I would have to shorten the elastic since I'd stretched it to much I decided to finish it for DD2 since it was too short in the back for DD1.

Good luck.

Kel
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 09:37
Matt'nNat's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 2,974
Default Re: How do you know when a tutu is "done" ?

Instead of tying one strip at a time, I stack 3 strips and tie them at once. It makes it more full yet doesn't crown with knots. HTH
__________________
~~ Dana
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 09:46
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: How do you know when a tutu is "done" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac View Post
Maxine,

I ran into the same problem with the Valentine's Day tutu I started to make for DD1. Once I realized I would have to shorten the elastic since I'd stretched it to much I decided to finish it for DD2 since it was too short in the back for DD1.

Good luck.

Kel
Thanks for sharing Kel I've got it wrapped around a tube that is standing on a table. There is still plenty of open elastic showing in the back so maybe all hope isn't lost (yet! lol )

I'm going to move some of the pieces around this afternoon when we get home from class.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 09:49
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: How do you know when a tutu is "done" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braids'nBows View Post
Instead of tying one strip at a time, I stack 3 strips and tie them at once. It makes it more full yet doesn't crown with knots. HTH
Yep, that's how I'm making it. 3 strips at a time I did a lot of reading before attempting this lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 09:53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,156
Default Re: How do you know when a tutu is "done" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
Thanks for sharing Kel I've got it wrapped around a tube that is standing on a table. There is still plenty of open elastic showing in the back so maybe all hope isn't lost (yet! lol )

I'm going to move some of the pieces around this afternoon when we get home from class.
In my case, even after shifting the elastic around it was still pretty full, (which is one of the reasons it was too short on DD1, even though the strips were 15" long) and the elastic I'd apparently over stretched only bounced back so much. My guess is that you may wind up needing to shorten the elastic.

Have fun with it.

Kel
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: How do you know when a tutu is "done" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac View Post
In my case, even after shifting the elastic around it was still pretty full, (which is one of the reasons it was too short on DD1, even though the strips were 15" long) and the elastic I'd apparently over stretched only bounced back so much. My guess is that you may wind up needing to shorten the elastic.

Have fun with it.

Kel
I labored over exactly how long to make the strips. When I first cut them, I made them 22" long. I tied a few on and then saw that the tutu would be too short. So, I increased the length and now it seems to be long enough. But the question of fullness is still an issue.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 10:10
Matt'nNat's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 2,974
Default Re: How do you know when a tutu is "done" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl9dg...eature=related
This is the type of knot I use, as she does in this video. She also shows the slip knot method beside it to compare how much fuller it is than the slipknot. I think its a square knot? Like when you tie your shoe, doubled.
__________________
~~ Dana
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 10:43
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: How do you know when a tutu is "done" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braids'nBows View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl9dg...eature=related
This is the type of knot I use, as she does in this video. She also shows the slip knot method beside it to compare how much fuller it is than the slipknot. I think its a square knot? Like when you tie your shoe, doubled.
Thanks BnB I didn't tie using a square knot (although, that type of knot is probably more secure). I just made slip knots.

We have to leave for class now, but I'm going to play around with this when we get back. Thanks for all your help
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 01:55
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: How do you know when a tutu is "done" ?

Well, I tried the tutu on Christine and it is a solid wall of tulle. It's ginormously full.

I think I'll finish off a few more strips and then be done with it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 04:27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,156
Default Re: How do you know when a tutu is "done" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braids'nBows View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl9dg...eature=related
This is the type of knot I use, as she does in this video. She also shows the slip knot method beside it to compare how much fuller it is than the slipknot. I think its a square knot? Like when you tie your shoe, doubled.
Thanks so much for the video link. I think you've cleared up some confusion for me over the use of the term "square knot", as applied to "No Sew Tutus".

She describes the first method she shows as the "double knot" method. She compares it to the knot you use to secure your shoe laces after they've already been tied. First you tie it on, making sure the ends are even, and then you tie the ends.

A square knot is very different and is used in macrame. From what I've read it's sometimes used in double layered tutus, but only after two colors have been linked together. I think that's what makes the knot "square" the fact that you are working 4 strips together ... or to be more accurate, two strips times 2 ends on each strip.

Anyone that has made a "gimp" keychain is familiar with the square knot. It's pretty easy with the plasticized cord once you get going. But I imagine it's tedious and cumbersome with tulle; and it's probably hard to get the ends even. It might be worth trying if it created a sharper distinction between colors than the "up down" method with slip knots.

Anyhow, from now on unless someone is describing a two toned, reversible tutu I think I'll assume that when they say square knot they mean double knot.

Kel
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger