http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-05-2011, 11:40

Default WWYD-honest opinions...

I make tutus and bows, and a friend of mine embroiders shirts so we make outfits to sell and split the profit. (we sell for $40). None of this really bothers me until I realized how much more work and frustration I am having to deal with just to sell outfits a.ka. her shirts!
First of all I love her dearly...she has helped me out so much but letting me borrow supplies to open my store etc...
But, on countless occasions she's messed up a shirt and then I am left to deal with "our" customer. The lastest incident was a mardi gras shirt I asked her to do for a customer that came in the shop and ordered...she was looking for a outfit for that coming up weekend and I showed her a pic of the lastest outfit "we" put together...she loved it. So called said friend asked her if she could get it done in a week. she agreed.
The customer was going to come in on Saturday to pick it up, shirt friend drops off the shirt that morning...IT WAS LONG SLEEVE!!! WTH....so here is where the opinions are needed. I ended up giving the customer $5 off...selling the embroidered shirt for $15 instead of $20
When I told shirt friend why I gave the discount she got pissed. saying noone knows how much time and work is involved etc...
But keep in mind we are in the south and its hella hot right now, spring is right around the corner...and the girl ordered what was in the pic...short sleeve not long sleeve...am I right or wrong for taking it upon myself to give her a discount?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 03-05-2011, 11:48

Default Re: WWYD-honest opinions...

I think you might need to redo the arrangement. Figure up what you want to earn and what she wants to make and then add those 2. I wouldn't just split the $$$ right down the middle, that's crazy. Or maybe sell the pieces separarely and give a discount if they buy the whole set?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:02

We did it that way because I sell my tutus for $20, and she sells her shirts for $20....so I throw in a free bow for them buying the whole outfit. But I am the one that usually buys the shirt, takes it to her, picks it up, and takes the stock photos for the website...hers and mine...

She's always saying how ppl on etsy get way more for what SHE does, and always makes the comment "all these ppl wanna order last minute, what do they expect". Like I said I always take into consideration that most orders are a time crunch but I always ask her first.My opinion she could say no right?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:09

if i was you i would keep the shirts and tutus as seperate item and the customer can speak with her directly on special orders so you have nothing to do with it if it turns into a mess the only thing is it could hurt your reputation along with hers
Old 03-05-2011, 12:26

well first of all i dont think that you were wrong in giving the customer a discount since what she saw in the picture was short sleeve and that's what the customer wanted - it was your friends fault for not doing the order right in the first place. secondly i would keep photos of your friends shirts and show them to the customer and tell the customer i know of a person that does embroidered tees here is her work if you would like one here is her number so that you can order one from her. that way you are still sending her business BUT she is solely responsible for everything and has noone to blame but herself. thirdly i also agree with OP that you shouldnt be splitting the profits down the middle - you are doing more work than she is by buying the shirt, taking it to her, picking it up, taking picutres for the website; what is she doing just embroidering the tee? you are getting the short end of the deal here since she is just sitting at home waiting for you to do the rest....a partnership is 50/50 on EVERYTHING, work included not just profits.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:35

Does she have an embroidery machine or do them the old way? The reason I ask is I do both, and honestly it takes me considerably more time to do a tutu and probably my bows for that matter. I tweak and retweak them quite a bit. The shirts take hardly any time to set up, and the machine runs while I do everything else.

I personally think you were absolutely in the right for the discount and that maybe you should look at redoing the agreement.

Also, it has been 147+ days since I have seen my DH, so don't expect me to be all rainbows and sunshine when you are being stupid. Oh, let us not forget the glitter.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:51

no advice just want to say I was sorr you are going through this
Old 03-05-2011, 02:07

I think I would take pictures of the tutu and shirts together to show the customer what they look like together but I would let the customer deal with the friend on the shirt. Then she can charge what she wants and deal with customer when she makes the mistake.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:00

She does them by machine. I know its hard work either way but she has pretty much made me feel at times as if I'm just throwing a tutu and bow together, while her line of work is much more involved.

I think I just got my feelings hurt more than anything cause I do take such pride into what I do. Yes I do it for $$ otherwise I wouldn't have taken it to the next level by opening a shop. But that being said I like customers to be happy and fall in love with what they are buying.

I have even had to give customers refunds due to her really jacking up shirts before.

She justified the long sleeve tee by saying it is middle of winter, and that onsie's have been messing up since they are $2 walmart tees so she decided to give her a better quality (LONG SLEEVE) shirt...but why not corispond with me on that? Then she even said that it was for a baby so they are probally putting long sleeve tess on her anyway...ummm no not when you live in the south!!

My main question is....in these sorta situations should we be giving each other discounts for selling for each other...and what is the going rate for a custom appliqued shirt and time frame given to make it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaredithRoberts View Post
Does she have an embroidery machine or do them the old way? The reason I ask is I do both, and honestly it takes me considerably more time to do a tutu and probably my bows for that matter. I tweak and retweak them quite a bit. The shirts take hardly any time to set up, and the machine runs while I do everything else.

I personally think you were absolutely in the right for the discount and that maybe you should look at redoing the agreement.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:10

I carry friends work, I ask what they want to recieve for it and what it costs them to make, then mark the price what i belileve it will sell for. But I do have signed agreements that if for some reason there is something wrong, (say a flaw, or mistake in colour or something) that I am allowed to sell at discount. I generally don't go below what they want or what it cost to make. I have had some get really mad at me, and I remind them about the fact we want a repeat customer not a angry customer and if they don't like it then I do no need them and will find someone else. Genereally they agree in the end and are fine.

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.