New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-04-2011, 07:37

Default How do you make your tutu's, single or double?

I was just wondering if you make your tutu's double layered or single. I have thus far made double layers and some even more then that. Like for example when I do it on a headband. I might do another layer on the next line up.

So mine turn out really nice and full I charge $20 if it's just one with 2-3 colors. But if there is glitter tulle, princess inspired, criss cross ect... Then I charge more.

I am finding that some people would like a cheaper option. I don't mind doing a single layer, as long as they know what they are getting. I haven't tried it yet, not even sure if I will like it. But I do feel like if it still looks nice, but uses less. I would be willing to sell them cheaper. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2011, 08:19

Default Re: How do you make your tutu's, single or double?

triple and i sell them for 20.00 petti tutus 40.00

veronica

*I will not tell you your UGLY bow is PRETTY but I will try to help you make it better..............wish someone would of told me my first bows were ugly. I do this out of love not wickedness *
Old 03-04-2011, 08:34

I haven't ever made a single layer on a headband (I always use elastic), but on an elastic waistband, a single layer can look extremely full if you make sure to squeeze as many knots into an inch as you can while keeping it looking nice (usually about 5-6). I took a single layer as an example to show a ballet class, and they all thought it was multiple layers. HTH. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:01

Thanks ladies, I tried a single one last night, well not really. I still did. 3 layers, but one strand in each hole (rows). I really like using the headbands. But think I am going to do some more elastic ones as well.

I added up the tulle I used as I went by them time I am done. I have about $6 dollars in supplies in this particualr one. But some others I did could go as high as $10. Anyone have an average?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:35

I just started, actually I've only made 3 to date. I made the single layer, but use 3 strips for every knot I tie, and I do a square knot (I think it is--like the kind you tie your shoe with, two of those) and it looks super full. I just use 2 colors. Just under 50 yards each tutu. So really, thats only $2 in tulle. Where are you buying tulle from? You may be able to cut costs there and provide a cheaper product if people are asking.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:34

I am doing mine single (with only one strand of tulle). I squeeze them together as tight as I can.

I am also using headbands, but I am so confused about what you are saying about doing more than one row. What kind of headbands are you using? I am using the ones that look like a piece of colored elastic that is really thick. There are no holes in it. Are you talking about the ones that people are putting the bows on (the crocheted ones)? If so, are those really big enough to go around a waist?

I would appreciate any help. I am just making these for the first time. I was planning on selling mine for $7.50. I am from OK and craft shows are not what they used to be here. If you don't sell stuff cheap it just doesn't sell.

I think mine look full enough though.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2tfaith View Post
I am doing mine single (with only one strand of tulle). I squeeze them together as tight as I can.

I am also using headbands, but I am so confused about what you are saying about doing more than one row. What kind of headbands are you using? I am using the ones that look like a piece of colored elastic that is really thick. There are no holes in it. Are you talking about the ones that people are putting the bows on (the crocheted ones)? If so, are those really big enough to go around a waist?

I would appreciate any help. I am just making these for the first time. I was planning on selling mine for $7.50. I am from OK and craft shows are not what they used to be here. If you don't sell stuff cheap it just doesn't sell.

I think mine look full enough though.

Yes, I am talking about the crochet headbands. They are very stretchy. I have done them on elastic is well, but I always doubled. Those, I am thinking that squeezing them closer together might get some of the same effect.

I buy my tulle HL only when it's half off. I don't have anymore avenues available to me unless I ordered online. I may have to consider that. But I really just started.

I can't see how you can make any money at 7.50. I am sure they look great, and you might be cheating yourself. I wouldn't go any lower then $12. For me it wouldn't be worth my time. But I have a 40 hour a week job. So I have to maximize my time.

Thanks ladies. I am going to post one I did last night later, but I still think I won't want do less then $18.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:58

For crochet headbands, I make them two or three layers, but for elastic, its usually one very full layer. I do the same with squeezing on as much tulle as I can.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:59

I haven't made one on a headband, but I have a question about it. Doesn't the headband stretch out to much? I know my daughter can stretch one quite large.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:19

Like I said, I just started. I did lace a ribbon in the back of a couple of them. I think I will start doing it for all. Then they can cinch if needs be. Or take it off if not.
Sponsored Links