printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-04-2011, 06:16

Wink "I wouldn't buy something that's been lying on the floor"

Something happened yesterday that I thought I'd share with all the etsy/website bow mommas here at HG

I was sitting in the waiting area just outside where Christine's class was being held (gymboree type stuff). Anyway, I had some time on my hands so I started cruising through etsy, looking at all the pretty photos.

One of the moms leans over my shoulder and blurts out "I wouldn't buy something that's been lying on the floor".

I checked the pic she was pointing at and it was one of those where the photog used that fake whitish-board floor up against a fake wall.

Her comment got the other moms buzzing so they all came over to look too. Each and every single one of them said the exact same thing. They didn't like the pics with bows on the floor! (now, at this point, they didn't know the floor setup was fake).

After these 20+ women agreed in unison, I showed them a pic of a bow that was photographed on a picture frame. They all thought that was a very pretty and clever idea.

I eventually told them that the rough wood floor was fake and that "no bows were harmed during production" (with a little laugh).

Then one mother said, "Doesn't matter. If you hadn't of told us it was fake, we wouldn't have known. It looks like they put their bows on dirty floors. And like Nicole said (she was the first mom to speak up).. "I wouldn't buy something that's been lying on the floor".

So there you have it. A very hands-on, quasi-scientific study

Old 03-04-2011, 06:19

Default Re: "I wouldn't buy something that's been lying on the floor"

Would love to see the link you're specifically talking about. I know I won't buy anything thats been photographed on tiles, dirty carpets, grotty tables etc..
Old 03-04-2011, 06:19

Interesting point!! Thanks for sharing!!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:21

Glad you posted this. I have been drooling over fake wood floor backdrops and now I won't go buy one!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:21

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing
Old 03-04-2011, 06:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaryka View Post
Would love to see the link you're specifically talking about. I know I won't buy anything thats been photographed on tiles, dirty carpets, grotty tables etc..
No, it was several shops. The white rough wood floor against the fake wall is very, very popular on etsy.

The point of the story was that the people taking the pic aren't really putting their products on a dirty floor (that rough wood white one can give that impression). But the consumer doesn't know that. They think it's actually a floor.

And, when you think about it, why would you want to buy something that's been on the floor? Especially because it's ribbon, light colored fabric, etc. and you're buying it to put in your kids' hair?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:23

I'm actually kinda bothered by this because I was just beginning to get the hang of editting my photos that were taken on the fake wood floor lol.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
Glad you posted this. I have been drooling over fake wood floor backdrops and now I won't go buy one!!!
It's funny because we all take it for granted... we *know* it's a fake set up. But to hear the other side of it was an eye-opener.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTrends View Post
I'm actually kinda bothered by this because I was just beginning to get the hang of editting my photos that were taken on the fake wood floor lol.
LoL! You rock
Old 03-04-2011, 06:31

I actually always kind of wondered about that. A lot of those fake wood floors look very real. And, even though I know they're fake, not everyone does. So it really does look like someone put their pretty bow on a floor that seriously needs to be refinished. I figured there were some people who would pass on purchasing something because of that...

It appears my viewpoint has been validated in your "scientific" study
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg