ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-04-2011, 07:07

Default Re: Gotta figure this out, help me please!

First off, please excuse my chipped fingernail polish, I almost re-did the pics because it looks so tacky!
Hopefully these will help you a little.

pic 1 - this is what your ribbon should look like after you fold it and before you pull out the pieces to make the loops

pic 2 - another view of the folded ribbon

pic 3 -this is what it should look like after you start pulling out your loops. This is the bottom view. The very top ribbon goes down and the ribbon on the inside, left goes down. The ribbon on the bottom right goes down, the ribbon on the top left goes up and the tail piece (this would be the tail piece on the inside) goes up.

pic 4 - this is the top view of the ribbons coming apart

pic 5 - this is what your ribbon should look like now. You should have an X in the front and the ribbon that is in the back should be straight across.

I have 5 more pics for you, but I gotta take care of the kids and dh I'll finish posting in a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (79.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (75.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (74.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (75.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (86.4 KB, 70 views)
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhite214 View Post
I'm not positive, but it looks like you didn't pull the loops apart the right way. What tut are you using?
That's what it looks like to me too. I made that same mistake when learning the twisted bow! Don't give up...you can do it! I use the brilliant bowmaker templates and they are great!! Worth the money.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:30

Ok here is the rest:

pic 6 - this is what the back of the bow should look like before you sew the center

pic 7 - you are ready to sew your center when the front looks like an X and the back ribbons are straight across. Start at the top of the bow and put your needle in on the front side, don't pull your needle all the way through. Next you want to sew 3 stitches down the middle, again, without pulling your needle all the way through. After you have 3 stitches pinch your bow middle and wrap your thread a few times, wrap it tight, but not too tight. If you wrap it too tight you won't have enough wiggle room to twist your loops.

pic 8 - this is what your bow should look like after you sew and wrap the thread around it. When you get finished with wrapping the thread, don't tie it off yet. Now is when you want to perk your loops. This is hard to explain, you just start pulling them up until they look like you think they should. After you get you the loops perked you can pull the center a little tighter and tie off the thread.

pic 9 - this is what your finished bow should look like. Don't forget to starch and bake or hairspray and blow dry your finished

I hope this is helpful to you in some way. If you are still having trouble let me know and I'll do what I can to help you!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:36

Lol, I guess it would be helpful if I attach the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (60.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (55.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (48.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (45.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-04-2011, 10:20

Quote:
Lol, I guess it would be helpful if I attach the pics

The pictures are helping!! I already figured out I was trying to pull the top loose end with the solid piece directly behind it, instead of alternating to the next lvl, if that makes any sense. I was getting it shaped to a simi bow shape, then literally twisting the ribbon of the loops to get them to look close to what I wanted.

I have a couple that I am comfortable with, but going to try a few more before I take pictures. I am getting kicked off the computer so if I don't make it back on before morning, I will be on as soon as I get home from the vball tourney.

Thanks so much, I don't know why your mini tut worked for me, but for some reason you spoke my language!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:06

I'm glad it helped! I'll be out tomorrow but will be be checking for some pics of your bows tomorrow afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-custom-dressed-kids View Post
The pictures are helping!! I already figured out I was trying to pull the top loose end with the solid piece directly behind it, instead of alternating to the next lvl, if that makes any sense. I was getting it shaped to a simi bow shape, then literally twisting the ribbon of the loops to get them to look close to what I wanted.

I have a couple that I am comfortable with, but going to try a few more before I take pictures. I am getting kicked off the computer so if I don't make it back on before morning, I will be on as soon as I get home from the vball tourney.

Thanks so much, I don't know why your mini tut worked for me, but for some reason you spoke my language!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:37

Great instructions and use of pics to describe this bow. I still have troubles with this bow and you make it look so easy.

Quote:
First off, please excuse my chipped fingernail polish, I almost re-did the pics because it looks so tacky!
Hopefully these will help you a little.

pic 1 - this is what your ribbon should look like after you fold it and before you pull out the pieces to make the loops

pic 2 - another view of the folded ribbon

pic 3 -this is what it should look like after you start pulling out your loops. This is the bottom view. The very top ribbon goes down and the ribbon on the inside, left goes down. The ribbon on the bottom right goes down, the ribbon on the top left goes up and the tail piece (this would be the tail piece on the inside) goes up.

pic 4 - this is the top view of the ribbons coming apart

pic 5 - this is what your ribbon should look like now. You should have an X in the front and the ribbon that is in the back should be straight across.

I have 5 more pics for you, but I gotta take care of the kids and dh I'll finish posting in a bit.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:19

Quote:
I'm glad it helped! I'll be out tomorrow but will be be checking for some pics of your bows tomorrow afternoon
Is it tomorrow yet? LOL Okay so it took me a bit longer than I thought to have time to get a picture and have time to type all at once, but the good news is WE WON 1ST! Okay, not we, but my daughter's 8th grade volleyball team did!!!!!

I think I got it, the picture is HORRIBLE, really need to find where my 2yr old hid the camera and stop taking pictures with my phone. LMK if I still need to work on it, but after your tut it just seems right now, actually so easy that I am kicking myself for fighting them so much. (easy means I probably have it wrong!) I wasn't able to get online to check lengths for ribbon for different sizes when I was playing with them so I guessed, still need to go check how close I was.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:58

Lol, that's ok, I figured you would be back when you had time. Congratulations on the win

Your bows are looking much better! You are definitely on the right track! Are any of them made with 7/8" ribbon? It looks like the camo ribbon one is 1.5" ribbon? I'll post a pic of my 1.5" one tomorrow. I think the loops on the left need to be poked out a little bit...if that makes any sense. Like close to the center the loops look a little too flat. I'll post another pic tomorrow and maybe you'll see what I'm talking about. Your 3/8" ones are looking pretty good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-custom-dressed-kids View Post
Is it tomorrow yet? LOL Okay so it took me a bit longer than I thought to have time to get a picture and have time to type all at once, but the good news is WE WON 1ST! Okay, not we, but my daughter's 8th grade volleyball team did!!!!!

I think I got it, the picture is HORRIBLE, really need to find where my 2yr old hid the camera and stop taking pictures with my phone. LMK if I still need to work on it, but after your tut it just seems right now, actually so easy that I am kicking myself for fighting them so much. (easy means I probably have it wrong!) I wasn't able to get online to check lengths for ribbon for different sizes when I was playing with them so I guessed, still need to go check how close I was.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:00

What width is the red one? That one looks pretty good. I know from experience that sometimes the camera angle can affect what your bows look like in pics. That might be why the camo one looks like it needs just a little something. Have you tried making your own templates? I started off just doing the measuring thing, but the templates helped me SO much!
Sponsored Links