http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/disney-minnie-mickey-mouse-ribbon-52yd-store.jpg zebra grosgrain ribbon-new colors http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/20pc-1.5in-petal-flower-clips-cm.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3-8-frog-grosgrain-ribbon.jpg cheetah animal prints grosgrain ribbon grosgrain ribbon korkers
HipGirl 12pc Grosgrain Ribbon Wrapped 1/2" Headbands + Matching Large Hair Bow Alligator Clips. Interchangable Assorted Fashion Accessory for Girl Women Teen Kid Toddler Children Adult

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-03-2011, 11:09

Default Contacted through Etsy for a Tutorial

I am not sure if this is in the right place, but I need some advice. I was convoed through Etsy asking if I would sell my loopy bow headband instructions. Thats all it said nothing else. I am not sure what to think or how to respond. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2011, 12:06

Default Re: Contacted through Etsy for a Tutorial

unless you are willing to put the time/effort into making a really great tutorial, I would just tell the person that you don't sell tutorials.

if you want to be a bit more helpful, you can link them to similar tutorials.

personally, making a great tutorial is a lot of work and I really wouldn't do it if I didn't have to! LOL
Old 03-03-2011, 12:39

Well, no one can tell you what to think about it, but if it were me, I'd be flattered.

How to respond depends on what you want to do. People make good money from tutorials, and once your original work on it is done, you continue to make money as you keep selling it. But it's a lot of work initially.

If you don't want to do it, just politely decline and thank her for her interest in your work.

My opinion, you can't keep people from imitating you and you can't be the only one doing something for very long, so if you've got the next big thing, you might as well capitalize on people wanting to make your design.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleK View Post
Well, no one can tell you what to think about it, but if it were me, I'd be flattered.

How to respond depends on what you want to do. People make good money from tutorials, and once your original work on it is done, you continue to make money as you keep selling it. But it's a lot of work initially.

If you don't want to do it, just politely decline and thank her for her interest in your work.

My opinion, you can't keep people from imitating you and you can't be the only one doing something for very long, so if you've got the next big thing, you might as well capitalize on people wanting to make your design.
Agreed. Unless it is an UBER original idea, there are probably free similar tutorials out there, so might as well make some money off of it, if you have the time to put it together.

Likely someone who wants a tut for it will not buy it, they will search until they find the info to try to make it...

All of my tutorials are now available through my etsy store.

Check out my Tutorial Album on Picasa.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:44

Personally I also think it's nice that she asked you for paid directions. She didn't just ask you how? I agree with everyone else. You now need to decide if you want to make a tut.

I would be polite, and thank her for inquiry but I wouldn't feel obligated to show her, or tell her how to do if for free.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:47

John(DH) thinks I should do it. Since he is a photographer and graphic designer we could put together a great tutorial and if we make a couple bucks great it will help us with our move back to Missouri. And believe me I want to move now! LOL I would still love to hear other input from you great ladies!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberPerry View Post
John(DH) thinks I should do it. Since he is a photographer and graphic designer we could put together a great tutorial and if we make a couple bucks great it will help us with our move back to Missouri. And believe me I want to move now! LOL I would still love to hear other input from you great ladies!
You need to ask yourself if you'd rather sell the product or sell the tut. It's not wise to do both.

Tuts are nice but they aren't the end all be all in terms of cash flow. When you create a tut you are essentially handing someone else the keys to creating their own duplicate product. That means one less sale for you.

Also, tuts are shared (regardless of what the fine print may say). Meaning, you sell one tut for $8.00 (let's say) and 5 people share it. Now, you've lost out on several sales of both your product and your tut. Also, if you do decide to keep making the product you've now just increased your competitive playing ground. And don't forget, they can learn from you and then price their product to undercut you.

It's just my opinion, but if I were you I'd hold onto my designer originals a little longer.