printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-02-2011, 10:15

Default I need advice on empire tutu

I have been approached by a friend to make an empire tutu dress for her little girl for an upcoming pageant in 2 weeks. She loves the look of them but can't afford the $65 most people want for them. I know that there is 2 rings of elastic but what I do not understand is how to knot around the second layer of elastic. Do you knot on the top and bottom of the 2nd elastic or just on the bottom. If just on the bottom how does it keep the elastic from moving? I know there are a few paid tutorials out there and I will go there as a last result as I am not going to be selling these at show nor on my website. Please help if you can
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2011, 10:25

Default Re: I need advice on empire tutu

I make 2 separate tutus, with one longer to serve as the bottom. Once they are constructed, I put one over the other and tack them with invisible thread. HTH

Also, it has been 147+ days since I have seen my DH, so don't expect me to be all rainbows and sunshine when you are being stupid. Oh, let us not forget the glitter.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46

I used to tie both top and bottom on the 2nd elastic layer. Tie a gentle yet sturdy square knot at the top on the elastic and again on the bottom. It also depends on how many layers of tulle you are using. For example, 3 layers of tulle then folded in half is 6 layers which doesn't knot nicely and can look bulky. When I use that much, I pick through and take 2-4 of the 6 layers and knot those few around and under the 2nd elastic. That way you can avoid a bulky noticeable knot and you can just lay the untied layers nicely behind the elastic..-Does that make any sense?

Now, I avoid the 2nd layer of elastic all together. After knotting the bottom on the top elastic I just let the tulle hang and when I'm done, I wrap a nice satin ribbon around the waist and add flowers, rhinestones, ect. I prefer not using the 2nd layer of elastic because (it's easier) and you can adjust the puffiness of the empire waist plus it can grow with the child. I attach the ribbon to the tutu by putting a few velcro dots on both the tutu and ribbon. Then add velcro to both ends of the ribbon to attach them together. HTH I normally don't post, I just lurk so I'm not too great at giving directions. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21

Helps a ton actually I had thought about making a sash and omitting the second layer of elastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiBug View Post
I used to tie both top and bottom on the 2nd elastic layer. Tie a gentle yet sturdy square knot at the top on the elastic and again on the bottom. It also depends on how many layers of tulle you are using. For example, 3 layers of tulle then folded in half is 6 layers which doesn't knot nicely and can look bulky. When I use that much, I pick through and take 2-4 of the 6 layers and knot those few around and under the 2nd elastic. That way you can avoid a bulky noticeable knot and you can just lay the untied layers nicely behind the elastic..-Does that make any sense?

Now, I avoid the 2nd layer of elastic all together. After knotting the bottom on the top elastic I just let the tulle hang and when I'm done, I wrap a nice satin ribbon around the waist and add flowers, rhinestones, ect. I prefer not using the 2nd layer of elastic because (it's easier) and you can adjust the puffiness of the empire waist plus it can grow with the child. I attach the ribbon to the tutu by putting a few velcro dots on both the tutu and ribbon. Then add velcro to both ends of the ribbon to attach them together. HTH I normally don't post, I just lurk so I'm not too great at giving directions. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiBug View Post

Ok so I was thinking about putting a sash around my tutu dress. I did not do the secon elastic as I just did the normal tutu dress. I treid to attempt putting a ribbon and I could not get it to look right. How in the world would I get it straight and all that without making a mess with glue?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark08 View Post
Ok so I was thinking about putting a sash around my tutu dress. I did not do the secon elastic as I just did the normal tutu dress. I treid to attempt putting a ribbon and I could not get it to look right. How in the world would I get it straight and all that without making a mess with glue?
I've had the best luck with those little Velcro adhesive dots. You can find them at almost any department store or craft store. Stick the rough dots of Velcro around where you want the sash/ribbon to go (ON THE TULLE). Then, place the soft Velcro spots on the sash. Make sure they match up perfectly. You'll most likely have to do a little measuring and marking. But this way, you can add more dots on both the tulle or ribbon if you need to expand or tighten it. Plus it makes the sash easily removable and interchangeable. I also use about 1" Velcro (the larger square adhesives)to connect both ends of the sash together. So make sure when you measure the ribbon, add an extra inch or 2 just to be safe because you want at least 1in of velcro on each end. I connect the 2 ends in front and center then place a flower or bow on only one end so it will overlap and hide where the little lines meet. But again, I may have made no sense right now. The little hour of sleep we all lost has thrown me a little bit off today. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark08 View Post
I ended up cutting another piece of elastic to hold the dress in place and then added velco to the ends...I made a tails down bow and pinned it to the back this way the dress could be worn either as a regular dress or as an empire dress.

This is the back
pageant dress4.jpg
hth
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif