printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-24-2011, 11:15

Default Re: Vinegar Before Baking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetapple View Post
Does it make the bows smell? Is that a weird question
Nothing has escaped my nose lately being pregnant and I smell nothing on the bow after it was dry

Off to put in another at a lower temp!

Krista
Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2011, 12:00

It makes sense because vinegar is used to set dye. When using some fabrics for quilts you use a vinegar bath to set the dye so when the quilt is made and washed the colors won't bleed.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:03

I have not done this... never baked or starched, either-BUT I soak new (bright/ dark) clothes in vinegar/ water before their first wash to prevent fading. I guess that's where the idea came from... to use it for color-fastness. I wouldn't have guessed that it'd work on prints that are more like "screen printing" than "dyed." KWIM?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:04

Attempt 2: FAILED

I sprayed with vinegar, put in the oven for 18 minutes at 220. Bow is no longer shocking pink with white dots. It is shocking pink, again with splotches of purple (although not as bad as last time) and the white dots are now light pink.

I just put another in at 200....

Should I let the vinegar dry before baking? Would that make a difference?

I am determined now to figure something out!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by khofkamp View Post
Attempt 2: FAILED

I sprayed with vinegar, put in the oven for 18 minutes at 220. Bow is no longer shocking pink with white dots. It is shocking pink, again with splotches of purple (although not as bad as last time) and the white dots are now light pink.

I just put another in at 200....

Should I let the vinegar dry before baking? Would that make a difference?

I am determined now to figure something out!!!
Maybe you should wet the ribbon (like dunk it in a bowl) so that it's uniformly wet with the vinegar/ water solution. That may help with the purple splotching; but I'm not so sure about the fading of the dots. Using vinegar in the wash is supposed to remove residues... that's why I wasn't so sure about how it's work for the printed ribbon...
Drying before baking might help.
I also use a salt water soak for new black clothes.... wonder what effect that might have on printed ribbon? I guess I'll be "searching" later.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:12
ksterling628

At this rate, i'm going to need a microwave and oven in my craft room, LOL.

I have just learned to make the classic bows correctly so I haven't baked a thing~yet. Thanks for posting this.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:55

My success story~

I put the bow in the oven for about 3-5 minutes just to get it warm (I figured it would make the vinegar solution dry faster and I am inpatient! LOL).

Pulled the bow out, lightly sprayed with 50/50 vinegar water solution, let dry for 10-15 minutes.

Put the bow back in the oven at 200 degrees for 15-18 minutes (I am terrible about watching the clock ).

PERFECTION!

Now I have 3 orders down .......6 more to go, see how I get side tracked trying something new?

Krista
Old 02-24-2011, 03:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashanwrn View Post
You dilute it 50/50 white vinegar and water, it still smells a little, but after it dries there is no smell!!!! My mother uses an open jar of vinegar in her kitchen for odors, and as it evaporates you can't smell it anymore! Kinda same concept I guess!?!?!? I only tried one bow, but I wanna try some more today!
that makes perfect sense! My mom does the same. lol. Good idea. I always have my dots bleed when making korkers!

"We love because he first loved us."
1 John 4:19
Old 02-24-2011, 06:38

I have the same problem with my maroon and white polka dot ribbon when I am making korkers. I will have to give that a try. Thanks for sharing and all your trail and error work.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:35

Krista,
Stay away from the kitchen! How many times do I need to tell you, ribbon doesn't taste good, no matter how and what you put on it!

I bet that smelled good! Putting a 1/2 cup to 1 cup in new colored clothes in the washer is suppose to keep them bright without fading and seal in the colors, but baking?!
Sponsored Links