150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-24-2011, 12:42

Default Re: Korkers on flip flops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
Ok, some bad news

The ribbon I put on Christine's flip flops yesterday morning with E6000 (and let dry fully overnight and into the afternoon) has come off the shoe

I just went to pick them up off the table to work on them and the ribbon was already peeling away from the shoe in several places.

Now, I have to say, I did *not* wrap them. What I did was glue the 3/8" ribbon to the top of the sides. I didn't want to wrap them because, first of all, they have a back-strap (it's a toddler shoe). Secondly, I thought the wrapped ribbon might bother her.

So, it's back to the drawing board. But I'm not really sure how I can fix this
Are you using Old Navy flops? I had problems witht he toddler ones last year. The rubber is not the same as the bigger flops
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 02-24-2011, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclements73 View Post
Ahhh thanks so much I sell so many of them in the summer I am all flopped out by the time the summer is over...LOL

Ok for the NUB...haha
First i glue with the e6000 and yes hold it down with clothspins.
Let that cure over night
Next I take the zip tie and tie that sucker down....THEN the nub,
I take a 3/8 peice of ribbon and the wrap it around the zip tie lie twice once around each side of the thong part and then glue it down.

NUB covered!
lol....is the NUB on the bottom or top? do you have any piks of the zip tie on the flip flops before the ribbon in the middle part?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
Ok, some bad news

The ribbon I put on Christine's flip flops yesterday morning with E6000 (and let dry fully overnight and into the afternoon) has come off the shoe

I just went to pick them up off the table to work on them and the ribbon was already peeling away from the shoe in several places.

Now, I have to say, I did *not* wrap them. What I did was glue the 3/8" ribbon to the top of the sides. I didn't want to wrap them because, first of all, they have a back-strap (it's a toddler shoe). Secondly, I thought the wrapped ribbon might bother her.

So, it's back to the drawing board. But I'm not really sure how I can fix this
I'm sure you did, but did you use quite a bit of glue? I also go back several times and push the bow/korker down to make sure its touching the glue.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:19

holy crap - they're making flip flop glue!

wonder if this stuff will work . . . http://www.beaconadhesives.com/cgflip2.html

and they advertise . . . "FLIP FLOP GLUE is never runny so only a small amount is ever needed to really hold stones in place without clamping or pressing."

and they suggest cleaning the strap w/vinegar . . . cause "
Plastic, jelly type straps contain a softening agent to keep them soft and flexible. This softening agent continually oozes out of the plastic leaving an oily feeling on the surface. Even if you wash it off, it eventually oozes out again. Heat helps release the agent, so keep decorated flip flops cool"

lol - i'm gonna keep w/my original crochet technique = no glue!

edit - gotta find out what kind of glue they used - lol! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnid2LcBSO0

edit edit - here's another article that says nothing will stick to the cheap ones - oozing factor is high! http://www.rhinestoneguy.com/FlipFlo...-sneakers.html

edit edit edit . . . & here's the unofficial test of e6000 vs gem tac on f/flops . . . http://www.dazed-n-confused.net/flipflops.html

Last edited by prleaf; 02-24-2011 at 06:52.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBow View Post
Are you using Old Navy flops? I had problems witht he toddler ones last year. The rubber is not the same as the bigger flops
Yep! I sure am! You had trouble with them as well? These are the ones that are giving me a problem (pic at bottom).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhardison1 View Post
I'm sure you did, but did you use quite a bit of glue? I also go back several times and push the bow/korker down to make sure its touching the glue.
I'm very glad you asked this question because this is the type of step that could've been overlooked.. but yes, I did do this (several times in fact). I haven't attached the korker bow yet because I can't get the ribbon to adhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by prleaf View Post
holy crap - they're making flip flop glue!

wonder if this stuff will work . . . http://www.beaconadhesives.com/cgflip2.html

and they advertise . . . "FLIP FLOP GLUE is never runny so only a small amount is ever needed to really hold stones in place without clamping or pressing."

and they suggest cleaning the strap w/vinegar . . . cause "
Plastic, jelly type straps contain a softening agent to keep them soft and flexible. This softening agent continually oozes out of the plastic leaving an oily feeling on the surface. Even if you wash it off, it eventually oozes out again. Heat helps release the agent, so keep decorated flip flops cool"

lol - i'm gonna keep w/my original crochet technique = no glue!

edit - gotta find out what kind of glue they used - lol! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnid2LcBSO0

edit edit - here's another article that says nothing will stick to the cheap ones - oozing factor is high! http://www.rhinestoneguy.com/FlipFlo...-sneakers.html
Yes!! That's what's happening to me! The ribbon just isn't sticking to the straps. They are indeed very soft and pliable.

Phooey. That means in order to decorate the straps I'm going to have to wrap them. With the back strap, that's going to be awkward.

Does anyone have any pics of fully wrapped toddler back-strapped flip flops they could share with me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flipflops.jpg (16.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 02-24-2011, 07:32

hey maxine - time to get out your crochet hook no glue!

just do this where you want the embellishment . . . skinny strips of fabric also work great . . . or use fishing line for the invisible look!

if this young girl can do it - you can too!

http://www.ehow.com/video_4468282_ma...lip-flops.html

with this method - i don't think you'd have to wrap the back strap . . . unless i'm not picturing in my muddled mind what you're trying to do!

edit - hahah - just saw the pic you attached . . . you could start this just above where the 2 straps meet in light pink . . .

Last edited by prleaf; 02-24-2011 at 07:35.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:05

Quote:
hey maxine - time to get out your crochet hook no glue!

just do this where you want the embellishment . . . skinny strips of fabric also work great . . . or use fishing line for the invisible look!

if this young girl can do it - you can too!

http://www.ehow.com/video_4468282_ma...lip-flops.html

with this method - i don't think you'd have to wrap the back strap . . . unless i'm not picturing in my muddled mind what you're trying to do!

edit - hahah - just saw the pic you attached . . . you could start this just above where the 2 straps meet in light pink . . .
You and I share similar art/craft backgrounds (basketweaving [had to take this to get my master's, it was difficult!] pottery, rug hooking, needlepoint, yadda yadda yadda) but crocheting is something that I haven't really done.

The problem is, I really don't want to wrap the entire strap area because if I do, there is a big possibility she won't wear them then. She doesn't want the ribbon against her skin.

I did order a tube of the flip flop glue so I'm anxious to see how that goes (thank you for sharing that)
Old 02-24-2011, 08:25

okay . . . next possible solution is to try to drill a hole thru the flip flop band!

or . . would she mind if you sewed a button on . . . and then attached your korker to that?

i'm trying to get you away from glue!

edit - just rereading . . . this is going waaay beyond the kiss theory . . . gotta be a better way!

Last edited by prleaf; 02-24-2011 at 08:29.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:48

Flip flops are a big part of my business. After lots of trial and error I make my flip flops with e600 glue, hot glue and dental floss.

I do not use cheap flip flops...Old Navy and am now going to use Inbop for my boutique stores.

I only glue ribbon on top of the straps with e600 and then use alligator clips to secure overnight. I then hot glue the bow and then take dental floss and wrap around the straps twice. Then I take ribbon and wrap it around the straps covering the floss.

I have never had one pair of flip flops come back with problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Soccer Flip FlopsWebshotWebshot.jpg (28.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Boston Bruins Flips 02.jpg (30.4 KB, 90 views)
Old 02-24-2011, 08:48

Quote:
okay . . . next possible solution is to try to drill a hole thru the flip flop band!

or . . would she mind if you sewed a button on . . . and then attached your korker to that?

i'm trying to get you away from glue!

edit - just rereading . . . this is going waaay beyond the kiss theory . . . gotta be a better way!
I'm laughing because I wonder how many people know what the "kiss" theory is! I haven't heard that term in ages! lol

I think what I'm going to try and do is glue the ribbon one more time using the flip flop glue. I know how I'm going to attach the korker (using ribbon) but I'm primarily concerned with the straps at this point. This is turning out to be quite the project!