Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-14-2011, 09:43

Default Can I see pics of your tutu waistbands?

I have been doing some research and looking at tons of pics of the really full tutus on etsy, etc. But, it is hard to see the waistbands in most pics. I am curious to see what they look like.

I use the slip knot and only one layer, BUT I add a ton on the elastic. Because of this, my loops around the band usually are overlapping each other. I hate it, but they are full. So, I am asking you to please post a pic of your waistbands and explain what process you use. TIA!!!

ETA: By explain the process, I mean a simple explanation like I gave....What knot? How many layers of tulle? I guess you can go into as much detail as you want. THANKS!

Last edited by ordi5103; 02-14-2011 at 09:45.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 02-14-2011, 10:08

Default Re: Can I see pics of your tutu waistbands?

I don't use the slip knot method and don't have a photo of the waistband of any tutus. Depending on how full I want them I do 2-3 layers adding stripes of tulle in between each knot all the way around.

If you use the slip knot method and want your tutu's full then might try the up/down method with them. It will make your tutu's full and hide the waistband. Do your slip knots all the way around without stretching your elastic to much then turn your tutu upside down and do another layer all the way around in between the first layer.

Wife to Rod and Momma to Tyreque, Ladaria, Raquel, Brayana, Destini, Jaleel, Makkiah, Taniyah and Cavelle along with my angel in heaven Angie and 85 foster kids who have left imprints on my heart
All Ribboned Out Remember Me Pillows to Remember your loved one whose far away
Old 02-14-2011, 10:15

I made a really amazing tutu for my husband's niece two day ago (everyone was very underwhelmed.....depressing! They aren't much for the frilly stuff ) and used the up and down method and did the slipknots. After I was finished, I lined the waistband with satin ribbon. Made it much prettier and I assume less itchy. But I agree with the pp.....if you want it really full, you should do the up and down method. Oh, and I used 100 yards of tulle for the 4T size.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:50

so when you say you go around the waistband with ribbon. How do you do that. do you just wrap it around and inbetween the tulle? Sorry I am new to tutu making.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste1977 View Post
I don't use the slip knot method and don't have a photo of the waistband of any tutus. Depending on how full I want them I do 2-3 layers adding stripes of tulle in between each knot all the way around.

If you use the slip knot method and want your tutu's full then might try the up/down method with them. It will make your tutu's full and hide the waistband. Do your slip knots all the way around without stretching your elastic to much then turn your tutu upside down and do another layer all the way around in between the first layer.
I saw another thread about full tutus and that is what got me thinking. Mine look pretty full, I think. (I added a pic) I just dont' like cramming all the tulle on the band because of the way it looks - and it stretches really bad from pushing them all together. I need to try your method of layering the tulle in between the first layer....I saw that on the other thread. And, I had heard of the up down method, but I didn't realize that you turned up the tutu upside down. I guess I just need to try some trial and error.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tutu July 4th back view.jpg (40.1 KB, 235 views)
Old 02-15-2011, 10:15

I was just on Angles babe and she has tutorial for her no-sew tutu for $6 and I'm really tempted to buy. But I don't know. I've spent so much in the past couple of weeks on supplies and I'm new about all of this. If I buy I'll let you know how it is. I don't want to mess up anything, even though I know there's trial and error when trying new things.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:23

I use square knots...so two layers. I like it the best so far...and it seems to stay together better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg random 010.jpg (56.7 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg val outfit 013.jpg (32.0 KB, 167 views)
Old 02-15-2011, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferua View Post
I was just on Angles babe and she has tutorial for her no-sew tutu for $6 and I'm really tempted to buy. But I don't know. I've spent so much in the past couple of weeks on supplies and I'm new about all of this. If I buy I'll let you know how it is. I don't want to mess up anything, even though I know there's trial and error when trying new things.
I am pretty sure I was on her site the other day. If you do buy it, please let me know what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingLorelei View Post
I use square knots...so two layers. I like it the best so far...and it seems to stay together better.
Thanks for the pics!!! Very cute!! I haven't tried a square knot - maybe I should try it!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferua View Post
I have it....love it! Very helpful
Old 02-16-2011, 02:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordi5103 View Post
I am pretty sure I was on her site the other day. If you do buy it, please let me know what you think.
I will definitely let you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordi5103 View Post
I saw another thread about full tutus and that is what got me thinking. Mine look pretty full, I think. (I added a pic) I just dont' like cramming all the tulle on the band because of the way it looks - and it stretches really bad from pushing them all together. I need to try your method of layering the tulle in between the first layer....I saw that on the other thread. And, I had heard of the up down method, but I didn't realize that you turned up the tutu upside down. I guess I just need to try some trial and error.
How did you tie the tulle at the end of the longer tulle pieces. Is it smaller pieces of tulle tied at the ends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingLorelei View Post
How do you do a square knot? Is it similar to a double knot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBow View Post
I have it....love it! Very helpful
I think I'm going to go buy it. Reading the description, I think it'll answer a lot of questions.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg