Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE!

Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! (http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/)
-   How to make... (http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/how-make/)
-   -   Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :) (http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/how-make/77607-share-tip-feel-good-thread.html)

Maxine 02-13-2011 02:30

Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

I was thinking it might be a good idea to start a thread whereby we share one of our favorite crafting tips with our fellow hipgirls.

No drama... just fellowship and camaraderie (and and we'll have fun while doing it too!) :smile:

To participate:

Post a reply that includes one of your best crafting tips. It can be about bows, supplies, tutus, embroidery, sewing.. whatever you choose!

Feel free to post more than one tip. Maybe post one today, one in a few days, one when the mood moves you! ;-D

Here's mine:

Wood Burner

When using my wood burner, I don't use any type of special stand or anything to hold it. What I use is an old ceramic coffee mug placed on top of a pot holder. The wood burner stays secure and I don't fear it being knocked over. The tip stays down and away from anyone or anything brushing up against it.

:)

Lastly...

*** This compilation of tips and information can not be reproduced and sold in any information booklet, pdf or tutorial.
This information is FREE to those that read this thread ***

heatherjdrake 02-13-2011 02:34

Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Yay! I like this idea!

Here is my tip:

My husband and I like Rachel Ray a lot and we like her idea of a "trash bowl". One day while cooking and using my trash bowl, I thought it would be a good idea while making bows.

So...get a tupperware container or your favorite bowl and as you clip ribbons, open packages, or whatever, put the trash in the bowl and throw the scraps away when you're done!

This keeps your work area nice and neat and clear of clutter...bow:)

mommyto2divas 02-13-2011 02:45

Awesome!!!

My tip that saves time and works great for me so far is that when I'm making stacked and layered bows, and layering ribbon, I use my Xyron and run the ribbon through! So far, it works great and so much easier than using fabri-tac all along the ribbon. :smile:

autwinmom 02-13-2011 02:52

Never thought about using the xyron for that!

bowmania 02-13-2011 02:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyto2divas (Post 957472)
Awesome!!!

My tip that saves time and works great for me so far is that when I'm making stacked and layered bows, and layering ribbon, I use my Xyron and run the ribbon through! So far, it works great and so much easier than using fabri-tac all along the ribbon. :smile:

What is xyron?

ronnie 02-13-2011 02:58

isabellasmommy2010 02-13-2011 03:01

really like the woodburner holder and trashbowl ideas...going to have to borrow these ideas :smile:

auntto4 02-13-2011 03:07

I love all these ideas (although I don't quite understand the woodburner one - do you have a pic.?)

Here is my tip - Save money on sewing thread and buy it on the cones (usually made for the serger). It is alot cheaper and you get so much more.
I bought this http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd12768 and it holds the cone so that it can be used on any machine - I love it!!

LovingLorelei 02-13-2011 03:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntto4 (Post 957509)
I love all these ideas (although I don't quite understand the woodburner one - do you have a pic.?)

Here is my tip - Save money on sewing thread and buy it on the cones (usually made for the serger). It is alot cheaper and you get so much more.
I bought this http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd12768 and it holds the cone so that it can be used on any machine - I love it!!

I am kind of new to sewing, but isn't it usually a thinner thread on the cones? I could be wrong.

My tip is pretty commonly used, but it was awesome when I heard of it so maybe it will help somebody out.

Instead of trying to cut the tulle eacch piece at a time, roll it around a cookie sheet or a piece of cardboard and cut several pieces at once. It is a GREAT timesaver!

Oh another tip is to make your pacifier clips universal by adding a thin ribbon loop at the end instead of the snap. I make the hole to thread the loop through by burning a hole with my woodburner and then just crease and stitch. ;-)

lulafairy 02-13-2011 03:49

Someone else shared this one not to long ago but Ill share it again.
dot a bit of hot glue to the end of a new stick when you load it. This way it does not slip back out.