Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-15-2011, 09:57

Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsewdiane View Post
everyone has mentioned awesome tips! the only thing i cant think of is

lighters!---use the ones you just push down. 4 for $1 at family dollar.

not the lighters w/ the wheel, the ones with the button. hope this help someones thumb
I love the electronic lighters! They don't seem to last as long for me though.

Want to know what all the fuss is about? Join Bownanas on facebook. 1,300 members and growing!

I'll let you sleep with my husband before I give you my supplier information, so don't ask.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 02-15-2011, 10:00

thats weird, in 3 months i have gone through maybe12-15, which doesnt seem like alot. but mine are the 1" x 2' long.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:06

Those are some great tips, helped me a lot.
Mine is my hands get sweaty working with needles, so I use a little baby powder like when you play pool and such. My hands dry out and my bows smell like babies.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:45

When i layer my flowers, i use two pliers(the light weght, with long jaw and flat back) to press the center(after glue). Recently my fingers are being very sensitive to hotglue, and this saves my skin from surprise burn. It feels like holding the chopstick, but i can layer them really fast. I do the same for maraboa puffs too. Less mess.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:06

I'm a very busy mom with kids who play sports, go to different schools and sometimes we have to wait inbetween. I work full time, so downtime is precious.

I keep a stocked bag in my car with small projects that I can do while sitting. This way I can still chat with the kids, get something done while waiting and relax my mind from work stresses.

Last edited by masha1999; 02-16-2011 at 07:50.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:20

My walmart didnt have a glue gun mat, so I bought a silicone mat used to sit your iron on for my glue gun. It does the same as a mat made for glue guns.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:06

I just bought a lot of 12 x 12 scrapbook paper to use as "walls/floors" when taking pics of headbands, bows, etc.

Just prop them up on boxes with the left and right sides cut down to let in light. It will look just like a professional photo backdrop. Some backdrops sell for $80 or more, and 2' x 2' mini-backdrops can sell for $20 .

Joann's is having a 40% off sale on papercrafting supplies right now:
http://www.joann.com/joann/home/home.jsp

Last edited by Gr82cre8; 02-19-2011 at 08:02. Reason: spelling
Old 02-16-2011, 08:50

These tips are all wonderful!

A few months ago, Pearberry shared her recipe with us for her fabulous stacked bow:

Pearberry's Stacked Bow Recipe

Heck no I don't mind sharing... I look at it as giving back to those you've helped me!! It's definitely still needing a little bit of tweaking, but here's what I used for that specific bow:

Base= 26'', 1.5''
Spikes= 6'', 1.5'' and 5/8''
Loops= 23'' divided into (4) 5.75 sections... hope that makes sense LOL
Top Bow= 20'', 7/8''
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (105.2 KB, 266 views)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr82cre8 View Post
I just bought a lot of 12 x 12 scrapbook paper to use as "walls/floors" when takiing pics of headbands, bows, etc.
I also do this! Its great because you can pick the background color that will look best and make your bow stand out!

Great tips ladies, always appreciated.

My Tip- I use a pair of very fine tip tweezers to place my tiny rhinestones on the bows. As long as your hand is steady, it will get it exactly where you want it!! I also use the tweezers for glue spill over. If it spreads to a place where I don't want it on the bow, I use my lighter to heat up the end of the tweezers and heat up that glue spill over and it comes right off!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:49

Here's something that helps me out. ....

When I'm matching all my ribbons(for new bows) and picking out bow centers. I will precut a bunch of them out(like enough for 20 bows or more) I then put each bow in its own little pouch of an over the door shoe organizer I have hanging on my door. That way when I get the time to make them I pull a few out at a time and work on them from start to finish and all my pieces are precut including the thread to sew them and I just need to assemble them.

With my little one I have to take advantage of working standing up in the kitchen or sitting in the playroom so its nice to be able to have everything all organized on the fly...lol

All the tips I've read so far are fabulous thanks to op for starting this and for everyone that has shared..it's very nice.
Sponsored Links

Tags
baby hairbow, ribbon, tips, wood burner