http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-14-2011, 12:47

Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie View Post
Use a 2" metal triangular ruler to help make your "v" cuts. The ruler can be found at HL where all of the supplies for making the doll houses are. It makes it so easy for me to use with my wood burner.
Awesome tip! I am always having trouble with this. I just cut because I can never get it to look good with the woodnburner, but then when I heat seal with the lighter sometimes it curls up and rounds out.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlilhunnybee876 View Post
I also spend one whole day korking ribbon & put it in a 3-draw thingy.. then when I have to make korkers or need a piece of korker ribbon I don't have to bake any.
I do this as well. Makes making korkers a wayyyyyyy more fun task when you go to assemble them if you're not running back and fourth to the oven!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:24

Oooo look at me using the multi quote function :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBow View Post
Learning a lot tonight!
Ok, I sew my korkers and sometimes my needle gets stuck. I use a rubber jar gripper (like this) http://www.shopwiki.com/_Rubber-Grip...15542&s=292691 to pull the needle out. Works everytime time.
Really gross but useful tip from an old sewing relative, lube your needle oil from your scalp (I use vaseline) Just rub a teeny bit between your fingers & then slide it over your needle. it is so much easier to pull through stacks of korked ribbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurey08 View Post
I love all of these tips!!! Especially the wood burner and hot glue tip! I have my wood burner taped down to my table ha ha I'm so scared of it!!!

For my hot gule gun I place it on a plastic piece so it just comes right off as well....
I always masking tape (the blue low tack tape) the woodburner cord to my table too!! And keep it in my hubby's coffee mug that he got from work That bugger took one bite out of my polyester slipper and will not get away from me ever again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie View Post
Use a 2" metal triangular ruler to help make your "v" cuts. The ruler can be found at HL where all of the supplies for making the doll houses are. It makes it so easy for me to use with my wood burner.
I so want one of these!!!!

Old 02-14-2011, 01:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
Oooo look at me using the multi quote function :P

Really gross but useful tip from an old sewing relative, lube your needle oil from your scalp (I use vaseline) Just rub a teeny bit between your fingers & then slide it over your needle. it is so much easier to pull through stacks of korked ribbon.

I always masking tape (the blue low tack tape) the woodburner cord to my table too!! And keep it in my hubby's coffee mug that he got from work That bugger took one bite out of my polyester slipper and will not get away from me ever again!

I so want one of these!!!!
Hahahaha yes my wood burner has fallen once and never again! Plus my son is in and out of my room constantly he is 18 months this month! Anyways, since I'm always working he is in there and I always say "HOT" and he says it back and pays attention but still scares me lol. I am gonna put it in a coffee mug since I don't drink coffee just hot chocolate ha ha. I want to build ma a whole new desk area so I can put the cord going along the wall and bring it out another way so he will never be near it!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:53

These tips are wonderful!! Thanks everyone for sharing! Let's keep going!!

This tip was originally shared by mothermayi ~

When making korkers, use a "Glovers Leather Needle". It has a triangular needle point and will help you push through the layers of ribbon.

(thank you mothermayi!)
Old 02-14-2011, 07:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntto4 View Post
I love all these ideas (although I don't quite understand the woodburner one - do you have a pic.?)

Here is my tip - Save money on sewing thread and buy it on the cones (usually made for the serger). It is alot cheaper and you get so much more.
I bought this http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd12768 and it holds the cone so that it can be used on any machine - I love it!!
In a pinch serger thread works when sewing. For everyday use, I would not use it. It is thinner and meant to be used on a serger. I would not trust a seam sewn with serger thread to hold/last as long as a seam sewn with thread meant for a sewing machine.
~Janet~ Bow Hobbyist, retired WAHM.... When we move out of the way and give the Lord room to stand in our lives He will glorify Himself in us ~Isaiah 60:13

Last edited by Mama2my3ks; 02-14-2011 at 07:18.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:45

Credit for my tip goes to my mother. My bow centers were out of control, and with 2 toddlers everytime I would open a container to get one out I had hands grabbing whatever they could reach.

My mom keeps everything, I called thinking that I could save spending money on a new organizer and possibly get an old tackle box or maybe the kaboodles I had as a teen, and instead I got my grandparents old pill boxes. You know the ones marked with days of the week, or my favorite one, each day has 4 compartments for morning, noon, evening, and bed. I just taped a label on top of each and only have to open one tiny compartment at a time, so much less to dig through and so much less for little hands to run off with!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by masha1999 View Post
When threading a needle, fold the thread and poke the loop through the hole instead of putting the end in your mouth or purchasing a threader. The loop pushes through and then you just pull it out the small end of the thread on the other side.

Read a magazine with a good recipe, craft idea or article? Then later you can't find which issue had the craft in it? This used to happen to me a lot. Now, I tape an index card on the back of the magazine or cookbook and write what I liked. Months later when I'm trying to find the cute way to paint a chair I found at a yardsale, I can flip through the backs of the books w/o opening each and searching for hours.
lol - the old lickum doesn't work - you're right! i use 6 lb. fishing line alot for sewing ribbons . . . and it makes a great thread looper to get those thicker threads thru . . . and i always know where my fishing line is (in lieu of searching for that tiny thread gadget that breaks/unusable after a couple uses).
Old 02-14-2011, 07:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2my3ks View Post
In a pinch serger thread works when sewing. For everyday use, I would not use it. It is thinner and meant to be used on a serger. I would not trust a seam sewn with serger thread to hold/last as long as a seam sewn with thread meant for a sewing machine.
i tend to agree w/you . . . but i do cheat & use thinner/cheaper cone thread in the bobbin when machine embroidering . . . why waste the good stuff!

but, a downside to using this thread is that a fair amount of lint does accumulate in the bobbin case - so it has to be blown/brushed out a little more frequently.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
And when you do get those glue strings, use a hair dryer on high and they will disappear

I actually bought a silicone mat by the glue guns (made specifically as a glue gun rest) at my local craft store. I think it was made by the same company as my glue gun, but I can't remember. LOVE this thing. Its great for making marabou puffs on!!!! Squirt a blob of glue on the mat and shove the 2 ends of the marabou boa in it! Peels right off!
i love love love my mat as well . . . and i cut off a little piece (1/2" - 1" x 3") & punched a hole in the end and tied a big fat orange ribbon thru it (so i could easily find it) . . . and use this when pressing down with my finger . . . saves a lot of burns!

wow maxine - great idea for a thread . . . i've learned sooo much - thanks!
Sponsored Links

Tags
baby hairbow, ribbon, tips, wood burner