key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-14-2011, 12:57

Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Here is my tip,
I always have a tooth pick handy when working with a glue gun as you can use it to apply small amounts in areas that the end of the glue gun can't reach or you want a precise seal, also it can be used to pick out the glue strings by using a twirling motion.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 12-14-2011, 03:10

I can't believe it, but I actually made it through all 29 pages! I love all of your tips!

Here are a couple of mine:

1. D-rings are really expensive at the craft store, so I buy old belts at yard sales and just cut the rings out to be re-used.

2. I then use my re-purposed D-rings and attach long pieces of ribbon (old or poor quality stuff I won't use for my bows.) with either hot glue, or a tack gun. Next, I get those wreath hangers that slip over the top of a door and come down in a hook, and hang my ring with the ribbon on it. I don't have room on my door, so I hang them from my bi-fold closet doors. When I finish a bow, I just clip it to one of my ribbons. It stays safe and fluffy, and I can see how much I have made!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:20

Finally finished reading all the wonderful tips! I don't think this one was posted but I store my ribbon in an over the door spice rack, the long kind. They are about $20. I've tried the other methods and this one works the best for me.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulafairy View Post
Someone else shared this one not to long ago but Ill share it again.
dot a bit of hot glue to the end of a new stick when you load it. This way it does not slip back out.
I LOVE this idea!!! Can't believe I never thought of it!!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleymom View Post
Ah, exactly what I do only my ribbon iron is also plugged into it. Our bedroom is upstairs and if I can't remember at night if I turned it off or not, I can just look out the sliding glass door down to my workroom window and check it. (Assuming the bulb hasn't burned out!)

I don't use a silicone pad. I have a glue gun holder since it's a pain to have to constantly move the stand on the glue gun back and forth. I line the *supposedly* non-stick plastic pad in front of the holder with non-stick aluminum foil. I also clip bows over the non-stick foil after I've put shelf liner on them so I don't have to spend any time holding them down. And when I make a ribbon rose, I hot glue across the bottom and press it onto the foil. Just so many uses for that foil, hot glue just pops right off!!

Lighters - I use the Scripto Views because I get the least amount of soot with them. (Maybe it's a different type of fuel than other lighters I've tried?) I put a rubber finger tip thingy over my thumb before I flick the lighter. It not only makes it more comfortable to flick it, my thumb stays clean and cooler than if it was not covered.

Oh, one last tip for now, if hot glue falls directly on the top of a finger, do not pull off the glue right away, it will pull off your skin with it! Yeah, I found that out a few years ago. I'm guessing it would be better to cool it under very cold water first and then remove it. I don't know for sure as I haven't done it since. And I think your fingertips will get acclimated to the hot glue after a while. After years of making bows, I was at my in-laws for dinner once and my b-i-l who was an auto mechanic and I ended up shredding the hot, hot chicken for enchiladas because we were the only two who could handle the heat on our fingertips. LOL
The foil works, but wax paper does too...i keep a roll of wax paper in my craft room. I use it when ever i'm hot gluing or if i have to spray paint anything because i can paint the edges and it will pull right off when dry and not take the paint with it!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:15

So, I was never told this when making Tutu's and looking through tutorials I never really saw how to correct when you can see the elastic waist band. I found that if you make sure that the band is stretched slightly bigger than the largest waist size you intend to wear it then attach your tulle that this eliminates the elastic showing when you stretch the waist band.

For a 0-6 month i can use a full paper towel roll, above that I use my thigh or a large shoe box.

Oh and I found keeping the plastic on the paper towel rolls actually makes it easier for me to thread my tulle around the waist band because it will slide easier.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:16

OH an because I don't have a large enough craft room to have my sewing machine sit out all the time, I usually sew my waistbands by hand when I make tutu's. I found that sewing a Z pattern then completing the square around the Z seems to be a very strong hold.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:06

Thanks for all the helpful tips!!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:22

When I cut tulle I use my rotary blade paper cutter. Nice straight clean cuts.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:59

When making tied on tutus, I have found shoe boxes are perfect for holding the elastic while tying or you can place the elastic on your leg for tying.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif

Tags
baby hairbow, ribbon, tips, wood burner