new products--pop dot diy pinwheel bows

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/no-liner-bottle-cap-combo.jpg

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-soft-ball.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-dizzy-bees-ribbon-grosgrain-combo-.JPG
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/ladybug-applique-red-dot.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/half-wrapped%2050mm-snap-clips.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/flat-back-pearl-shpk.JPG

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-20-2011, 10:48

Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasisash View Post
I leave my lamp plugged into the power strip with my wood burner and my glue gun, that way I can just look at my craft room and know if my tools are on or off.
Ah, exactly what I do only my ribbon iron is also plugged into it. Our bedroom is upstairs and if I can't remember at night if I turned it off or not, I can just look out the sliding glass door down to my workroom window and check it. (Assuming the bulb hasn't burned out!)

I don't use a silicone pad. I have a glue gun holder since it's a pain to have to constantly move the stand on the glue gun back and forth. I line the *supposedly* non-stick plastic pad in front of the holder with non-stick aluminum foil. I also clip bows over the non-stick foil after I've put shelf liner on them so I don't have to spend any time holding them down. And when I make a ribbon rose, I hot glue across the bottom and press it onto the foil. Just so many uses for that foil, hot glue just pops right off!!

Lighters - I use the Scripto Views because I get the least amount of soot with them. (Maybe it's a different type of fuel than other lighters I've tried?) I put a rubber finger tip thingy over my thumb before I flick the lighter. It not only makes it more comfortable to flick it, my thumb stays clean and cooler than if it was not covered.

Oh, one last tip for now, if hot glue falls directly on the top of a finger, do not pull off the glue right away, it will pull off your skin with it! Yeah, I found that out a few years ago. I'm guessing it would be better to cool it under very cold water first and then remove it. I don't know for sure as I haven't done it since. And I think your fingertips will get acclimated to the hot glue after a while. After years of making bows, I was at my in-laws for dinner once and my b-i-l who was an auto mechanic and I ended up shredding the hot, hot chicken for enchiladas because we were the only two who could handle the heat on our fingertips. LOL
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 09-20-2011, 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinaz View Post

You can also use glitter eyeshadow (sold at dollar stores) and mix it in with your spray starch to give your bows a little extra shine.

OMG, this is a FANTASTIC tip, thanks so much for sharing!!! I am so going to try this!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleymom View Post
Ah, exactly what I do only my ribbon iron is also plugged into it. Our bedroom is upstairs and if I can't remember at night if I turned it off or not, I can just look out the sliding glass door down to my workroom window and check it. (Assuming the bulb hasn't burned out!)

I don't use a silicone pad. I have a glue gun holder since it's a pain to have to constantly move the stand on the glue gun back and forth. I line the *supposedly* non-stick plastic pad in front of the holder with non-stick aluminum foil. I also clip bows over the non-stick foil after I've put shelf liner on them so I don't have to spend any time holding them down. And when I make a ribbon rose, I hot glue across the bottom and press it onto the foil. Just so many uses for that foil, hot glue just pops right off!!

Lighters - I use the Scripto Views because I get the least amount of soot with them. (Maybe it's a different type of fuel than other lighters I've tried?) I put a rubber finger tip thingy over my thumb before I flick the lighter. It not only makes it more comfortable to flick it, my thumb stays clean and cooler than if it was not covered.

Oh, one last tip for now, if hot glue falls directly on the top of a finger, do not pull off the glue right away, it will pull off your skin with it! Yeah, I found that out a few years ago. I'm guessing it would be better to cool it under very cold water first and then remove it. I don't know for sure as I haven't done it since. And I think your fingertips will get acclimated to the hot glue after a while. After years of making bows, I was at my in-laws for dinner once and my b-i-l who was an auto mechanic and I ended up shredding the hot, hot chicken for enchiladas because we were the only two who could handle the heat on our fingertips. LOL
omg - i use the non-stick a/foil all the time for roasting veggies . . . and never thought to use it for h/glue gun pad . . . & attaching a no slip pad to it is pure genius!

t/you!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:33

I am going to have to drag some foil up to my craft room....I use non stick all the time, and I never thought of using it for crafts! Thanks so much sharing!

Proud Army Wife and Momma to 6 wonderful Kids....

Follow me as I indulge in my crafting and pinterest addictions.....
http://confessionsofapinner.blogspot.com/

Wholesale Felties available here, www.facebook.com/owlalwayslovefelties
Old 09-21-2011, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabear74 View Post
I am going to have to drag some foil up to my craft room....I use non stick all the time, and I never thought of using it for crafts! Thanks so much sharing!
You're welcome. It's also great when I put a sheer knot on a bow. When I glue the ends on the backside of the hardware, I just put a piece between the ribbon and my finger so I don't get bits of glue on my finger that comes up through the sheer ribbon. Those tiny bits of glue all over a finger seem to be the hardest to remove. You can also hold it on the backside of tulle if you are gluing rhinestones or other trim onto it.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzy teez View Post
One I use to keep track of ideas when I see them on the internet (or on this site) I "browse" a lot while at work, and to remember ideas, I bookmark pages in my favorites. In the evening before I leave, I email myself the links in a word document so that I have them at home as well!
This is a FANTASTIC idea!! I usually have a notepad on my desk that I write links (no matter how long) to take home. Can you hear me slapping my forehead??? Thanks so much for this & all the other great tips! I'm brand new here, so I can use all the help I can get!!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:48

Thumbs up Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snmhxf View Post
Great Idea on this thread. I have a couple of ideas... but most are borrowed but maybe they will help someone

I use a shoe rack (the kind with teh see through pockets) to hold all my odds and ends ... small rolls of ribbon, centers and other random crap -- easy to find stuff

I also use an old yardsale mirror to cut my ribbon on, I have lines written on them for sizes i cut all the time as well as ruler taped on, made my life SO much easier.

I have my wood burner and glue gun on a power strip so i can just flip the button each time and not worry about having to plug and unplug each time.
love the shoe rack idea!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley1010 View Post
This is a FANTASTIC idea!! I usually have a notepad on my desk that I write links (no matter how long) to take home. Can you hear me slapping my forehead??? Thanks so much for this & all the other great tips! I'm brand new here, so I can use all the help I can get!!
I use pinterest to save all my ideas. You request to join and it take few hours.. than you can start pinning your ideas! It's come in handy a TON as I don't have tons of bookmarks and emails to myself on my work pc.. I can just pin the idea(blog, site, or whatever from the net) and when I get home I just log into my pinterest account and BAM all my ideas are there. I should warn you it's addicting!!! I've found SO many ideas I HAVE to try and actually went out and bought stuff to do a few of them too!!
www.pinterest.com
Old 09-23-2011, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileeDesigns View Post
I use pinterest to save all my ideas. You request to join and it take few hours.. than you can start pinning your ideas! It's come in handy a TON as I don't have tons of bookmarks and emails to myself on my work pc.. I can just pin the idea(blog, site, or whatever from the net) and when I get home I just log into my pinterest account and BAM all my ideas are there. I should warn you it's addicting!!! I've found SO many ideas I HAVE to try and actually went out and bought stuff to do a few of them too!!
www.pinterest.com
Yeah. I love Pinterest. *sigh* Good therapy as well.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:55

I just read through ALL 27 pages. WOW there are some great tips on here! THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif

Tags
baby hairbow, ribbon, tips, wood burner