Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-10-2011, 04:53

Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Wow! I finally got to the end of the 25 pages and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for sharing their tips. This is a great thread.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2011, 01:12

Awesome tips....Here are a few of mine...

I keep a jar of Noxema around for burns. Surprisingly, it immediately takes the burn away from the worst burns *even the wood burning tool*

For those who sew, a microfiber cloth helps pick up stray threads and I always keep a refridgerator magnet by my machine to set my pins on as I sew. I don't drop any on the floor anymore...

I make cheer bows a lot and instead of using something like heat and bond to fuse my fabric (sequin, fat quarters, etc), I use spray adhesive. I lay out my fabric, wrong side up, and spray it with adhesive (do over newspaper). Then I lay my strips of ribbon on it and press down. Let dry for a few minutes and then cut out with a rotary tool and cutting mat.

You can also use glitter eyeshadow (sold at dollar stores) and mix it in with your spray starch to give your bows a little extra shine.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:31

My tip is.. I bought oneof those plastic storage boxes for beads that has adjustable panels and i used it store my already cut Korkers.. its perfect size, the colors are all separted , and they dont get ruin while their waiting to be made into a beautiful bow!! I love it.. and i also tape a peice of paper with my lenghs andintrustions for makeing them.. also i store my needle and thread in there and a bottle of fraycheck and a peice of ribbbon cut to the size i need as an example..Everything all in one place!!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:07

I don't think I've seen this posted yet.... I have been running across a lot of wrinkled ribbon. I didn't want to pull out the iron and the ironing board, then I rememberd my hair straighter that I have never used, it has an adjustable heat setting, and it has worked perfectly as a ribbon iron, and takes up almost no room on my work area!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl View Post
I don't think I've seen this posted yet.... I have been running across a lot of wrinkled ribbon. I didn't want to pull out the iron and the ironing board, then I rememberd my hair straighter that I have never used, it has an adjustable heat setting, and it has worked perfectly as a ribbon iron, and takes up almost no room on my work area!
I have a mini-hair straightener and keep it with my woodburner and hot glue gun when making my bows. Sometimes I fold the end of my ribbon over to make the V cut, I seem to always have that tiny crease at the center of the V, which bothers me . I pick up my mini-hair straightener, clamp down on the end and I have a nice straight end on my spikes or whatever else I've used the V cut for.

When setting up for a show, I will also take my mini-hair straightener with me. I may have to use it to touch up any bows that may not have traveled as easily as I had hoped for.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:29

I just saw a post that reminded me of this tip. I save all my tutorials on Google. Set up a google account and save them in Google Docs. That way, if something ever happens to you computer, you won't lose them- and you can access them from any computer!
Old 09-02-2011, 05:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulafairy View Post
Someone else shared this one not to long ago but Ill share it again.
dot a bit of hot glue to the end of a new stick when you load it. This way it does not slip back out.
OMG!! Your such life saver! I'm such a hahaha! IDK how many times I almost crucified myself at the times my glue stick would fly all over the place when picking up the glue gun! Finally!! No more glue stick carpets!!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok2000 View Post
I just saw a post that reminded me of this tip. I save all my tutorials on Google. Set up a google account and save them in Google Docs. That way, if something ever happens to you computer, you won't lose them- and you can access them from any computer!
That is genius. I currently print most and keep them in a binder but it would be nice to have a backup.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok2000 View Post
Why can't I be that smart??? Genius! I can't tell you how many tuts I have lost when my computer crashed!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulafairy View Post
Someone else shared this one not to long ago but Ill share it again.
dot a bit of hot glue to the end of a new stick when you load it. This way it does not slip back out.
This is great!!! I just tried it and it worked so well I can't believe I never thought of it before.
Sponsored Links

Tags
baby hairbow, ribbon, tips, wood burner