new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-06-2011, 10:08
Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Finally, a good thing comes out of all this heat!!!
Check out our website!
Sponsored Links
hair flower patterns and instructions
Old 07-10-2011, 02:10

I've finally had time to read through this whole thread, sooo many great tips

I've got a few, so to make it easier to read, I'll post it in separate posts

When using a Xyron sticker maker, before I peel off the top layer of the xyron tape, I rub my hands all over it. But I also use the round end of a stylus (looks like a ball) and run it firmly, but gently, over the edge of the image. Don't do it too hard, because if you miss, you'll dent your image This will allow the top layer to pick up any extra glue that may have stuck to the edge of the image...just makes it a little cleaner. Then peel off the top, and you're good to go!

Also, someone had mentioned putting the resin drops on the image BEFORE putting them on the bottle cap. I tried both ways...image on cap first, then drop on top. And also, resin drop on image first, then on bottlecap. By far, the better way is to put the drop on your image first, while it's still stuck on the wax paper from the Xyron. That way, if I'm stlightly off when putting on the drop, I can trim off the teeny edge of the image, so that it doesn't stick out.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:25

Ribbon Cutting
If you don't use a woodburner or have something premarked for cutting ribbons, this may speed things up a bit.

Cut your ribbon in sections of 18".

Measure each ribbon to 18". Then fold in half, cut and you've got 2 ribbons at 9". Then fold both ribbons in half and cut again.

Voila! 4 x 4.5" ribbons ready to be heat sealed and attached to your clips.

You could also do 36" or 72", but not 54" =)

The idea that you have to be able to keep cuting in half repeatedly, to eventually get to 4.5". Minimizes measuring time
Old 07-10-2011, 09:33

Originally Posted by Katieboosmama View Post
My tip is I use a hanging jewelry organizer to keep my embellishments in I can see what I have at a glance and it frees up space on my table

Awesome, I have an extra one and am not using it... Now I will
Old 07-11-2011, 02:18

I thought I would share... I am forever lossing my scissors so I bought a coffee cup tree and hang all of my scissors on its arms simple to use and at a glance I can see where they are with out stabing myself from them been hidden under a plie of crap... I mean beautiful things.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:52

this is a tip for those who do a lot of snipping threads. i didn't come up with it, but it's been a real lifesaver for me. when you vacuum up those threads and they get caught around that rolling thingy with the brushes that goes around and catches the threads - take your seam ripper and rip through them. it's the best way i've found to clean that roling thingy when all the threads get caught up and tangled in it. hope it helps someone!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:42

Whew! Finally made it through! I'll add my 2 cents for a great thread. I have a section of PVC pipe on my worktable and it sits in front of my fan. I am able to put one leg of a headband in it so that it balances in front of the fan to allow glue to dry.

Also, this is probably one everyone already knows. I went to Michaels and found little tiny clothespins and I use them constantly to clip ribbons to hold in place and while drying. They are only about 1/2" long and very light as well.

Thanks to everyone who has posted such great tips!

Last edited by nosillanaj; 07-18-2011 at 03:43. Reason: left out part
Old 07-19-2011, 11:01

This already may be on here as I didn't sit and read all 25 pages. There are lot of cute felt stickers available now - ki memories, michaels brand felties, martha stewart, etc. I buy them and use a paint brush and corn starch to take away the stickiness - put it on a clip and add some extras. Cute and easy clips in a fraction of the time. I especially like the owls at michaels...
Old 08-02-2011, 01:13

Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
Here's another great tip from Lilredsmiles... one of our resident craft experts (yes, I gave her that title.. she deserves it! )

All crystals have lead in them and are not CPSIA compliant. The only ones I use are the craftsafe brand!

THANK YOU for sharing this! I've had the darndest time trying to find good compliant sources.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:42

I had a bunch of wrinkle foe, and used my hair straightener at a med/low setting to iron it out.
Sponsored Links
hip girl boutique LLC forum advertisement--pink-lily-wholesale

baby hairbow, ribbon, tips, wood burner