http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-04-2011, 01:27

Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcc View Post
IF this is a repeat, I apologize.

I used to pre-cut my ribbon for all my bows and put them in baggies labeled with "Small Boutique" "Medium Pinwheel", etc. and would throw my baggies in purse to work on at park, etc. Baggies soon were worn out and I spent a lot of time digging through the bag looking for the right baggie.

So...Here is my solution. In the school supply section, get some of those zippered pouches that fit in a 3-ring binder. Get enough for each type bow you want to pre-cut for. Label the clear part with permanent marker and put your pre-cut ribbon in them. Put them all in a 3-ring binder and take them with you when you go. You don't have to worry about fumbling around your purse/bag/whatever looking for the baggies or the baggies tearing up on you. Also, do a zippered pouch for supplies like thread, pins, etc. and keep it in the front of the binder too. Sometimes, you can even find binders not much bigger than the pouches that can easily fit in your purse (like the dayrunner types). Have a shoe box handy to toss your bows in when ready.

If you want to change the labels on the bag, just use some rubbing alcohol or a chlorox wipe...marker comes right off.

Hope that wasn't confusing and that it will help someone as much as ya'll have helped me.

God bless!
What a fabulous idea! I have my ribbon for my ribbon sculptures along with ribbon for clips, etc. cut and in baggies, and I can't tell you how frustrated I get digging through baggies looking for the right one! THANK YOU! I keep racking my brain trying to come up with a good tip to share myself, but I do everything the hard way, I think. LOL But I will post when something comes to me.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 05-04-2011, 03:27

All this info needs to be compiled into a book! So many clever, fantastic tips!

I use this mat when working with hot glue and especially with double sided tape, cuz nothing sticks to it and it can withstand heat. I love that I can let the tape land on it without reducing the stickyness of it. I also love that it's as flat as paper.

http://store.scrapbook.com/gb-rnsc77.html
Old 05-04-2011, 05:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertPearl View Post
All this info needs to be compiled into a book! So many clever, fantastic tips!

I use this mat when working with hot glue and especially with double sided tape, cuz nothing sticks to it and it can withstand heat. I love that I can let the tape land on it without reducing the stickyness of it. I also love that it's as flat as paper.

http://store.scrapbook.com/gb-rnsc77.html
Wow, this is new to me! Thanks so much for sharing this great tip DP! And it's a nice size too
Old 06-04-2011, 05:38

When cutting tulle for tutus I go and look at my kids book collection for a book with a hard cover and paper pages that is the size I need. The opening of the book has a 5mm gap between where the book ends and the pages start which is perfect to slide scissors down. :-)

I have a lamp I use in my craft room and when I have a ribbon that needs ironing I quickly run the winked area over the light bulb. no more waiting for the iron to heat up and no more wasted energy as I already had it on. :-)

When taking photos of my bows I use blank photo paper as my back ground as I take my photos in RAW it allows my backgrounds to be super white when I edit them :-)

Thats all I can think of for now :-)
Old 06-04-2011, 03:27

I do this and it works great! (That is until the new kitten has to investigate.)
Old 06-07-2011, 10:22

My first actually helpful tip to contribute! When taking pictures using a photo frame, wrap your elastic around but do not cut it. You can place the flower on top, and you're not wasting any elastic cutting a size headband you may never sell. Saves time also when trying to make new things and photograph them. When someone orders, just cut and add the elastic band and you're done!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 103_1974.jpg (59.4 KB, 88 views)
Old 06-07-2011, 01:42

i don't know if any of you will think it's a good idea..i have all my ribbon in cute boxes still on rolls..instead of putting tape at the end to hold the ribbon from going everywhere..i just use a simple tiny glue dot it holds the end of the ribbon in place and doesn't leave it sticky.

hugs
edee
Old 06-07-2011, 10:25

These are wonderful tips! Thanks so much for sharing
Old 06-13-2011, 12:15

Cool stuff! I've learned a few things I'll use for sure!

My tip: I love to shop Scrapbook stores for paper for backgrounds for my product pics. There are some gorgeous papers that can really make your products & photos stand out!! I'll attach a pic or 2 with a french script paper I recently fell in love with....
Old 06-13-2011, 02:54

A newbie here with a few tips (i just read the ENTIRE post, and no one has used mine yet!!)
1. I use wonder-under for several of my projects, so when I decided to try cheer bows for the first time I used the same trick I use for everything else...since you need high-heat to bond items well, and the heat will ruin lots of materials, including the sequin dots, i wet down a thin cloth and place over the item, then use my iron on high heat...it also keeps any debris left on your iron from getting on your ribbons
2. I made a display/organizer for my daughter's loose hair ribbons with a styrofoam ring...i cut strips of fabric with pinking shears, then wrapped around the ring, gluing and overlapping the ends...she uses thumbtacks or pushpins to attach her ribbons
3. Using the same idea above, when my ribbon rolls are almost empty, I take the scrap and push-pin it to a bulletin board so that I can easily see what and how much I have without digging!!!

Kim
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.

Tags
baby hairbow, ribbon, tips, wood burner