http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-30-2011, 09:36

Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
I do this I just wrap my center & use a straight pin on the back to hold the ribbon taut. The other benefit of this is that you can put whichever clip your customer wants on the bow.
Love the straight pin idea Shelley! (you always have great ideas ) Thanks for sharing them with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prleaf View Post
finally located the 2 pdf files for those of us that can't cut a round circle . i cut these out of milk bottle plastic and then heated a pin to make a hole in the center . . . now i just stack them up and cut away!

circle template: http://sew4home.com/images/articles/...ern-Circle.pdf

flower template: http://sew4home.com/images/articles/...ern-Flower.pdf

the above is from this website - they have tons of stuff to do w/ribbon . . . this month they're featuring drr . . . http://sew4home.com/

one more tip . . . i've been ironing a lot of wrinkled ribbon lately . . . and have always used a plastic iron cover for years & years - i lay my iron (on hi temp & have never melted/scorched any fabric) on the ironing board and pull the ribbon thru . . . no burns, no rusty water spots or other crap that seems to come out of the iron . . . it's a must have! i know i didn't pay $19.99 for mine . . . but this is what it looks like.

http://www.tryourdesigns.com/IronShoe.htm
Pr, thanks so much for sharing!! These tips are fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendysbows View Post
Just caught this thread and have had fun reading through all your tips. It was reassuring to see that I use many of them...makes feel like I'm "on the right track" so-to-speak!

My tip isn't much but I love it. When I make tutus I could never seem to get my knots to lay nice (to my eye anyway.) So I tie about 10 or so, slide a butter knife under 3 or 4 at a time and this allows me to pull on the knot to get it more snug and slide it together without pulling or tugging on the elastic. This gives my knots a nice uniform look too.

Thanks for starting this Maxine and thank you everyone for all the wonderful ideas!
Wendy, the butter knife tip is great! Thank you!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:10

oh my gosh! it was sooo awesome to read thru all of yalls ideas. I can't wait to test some of them out, i know several that will make my life a little more easy
Old 05-02-2011, 01:50

i didnt have a chance to go through all the tips so i dont know if this has been posted yet....
buy the soft tape measures (usually come in a three pack in the sewing section of the dollar store) or get the paper ones from ikea and cut them to the lengths you use most, i mark mine infant, baby, toddler etc. for headbands then i just cut my ribbon to size, this way you dont have to look at numbers when you measure (and you dont need to remeber any measurements)

Old 05-02-2011, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by my.sweet.art View Post
i didnt have a chance to go through all the tips so i dont know if this has been posted yet....
buy the soft tape measures (usually come in a three pack in the sewing section of the dollar store) or get the paper ones from ikea and cut them to the lengths you use most, i mark mine infant, baby, toddler etc. for headbands then i just cut my ribbon to size, this way you dont have to look at numbers when you measure (and you dont need to remeber any measurements)
Love this idea! Thanks for sharing it with us
Old 05-02-2011, 11:54

IF this is a repeat, I apologize.

I used to pre-cut my ribbon for all my bows and put them in baggies labeled with "Small Boutique" "Medium Pinwheel", etc. and would throw my baggies in purse to work on at park, etc. Baggies soon were worn out and I spent a lot of time digging through the bag looking for the right baggie.

So...Here is my solution. In the school supply section, get some of those zippered pouches that fit in a 3-ring binder. Get enough for each type bow you want to pre-cut for. Label the clear part with permanent marker and put your pre-cut ribbon in them. Put them all in a 3-ring binder and take them with you when you go. You don't have to worry about fumbling around your purse/bag/whatever looking for the baggies or the baggies tearing up on you. Also, do a zippered pouch for supplies like thread, pins, etc. and keep it in the front of the binder too. Sometimes, you can even find binders not much bigger than the pouches that can easily fit in your purse (like the dayrunner types). Have a shoe box handy to toss your bows in when ready.

If you want to change the labels on the bag, just use some rubbing alcohol or a chlorox wipe...marker comes right off.

Hope that wasn't confusing and that it will help someone as much as ya'll have helped me.

God bless!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcc View Post

I used to pre-cut my ribbon for all my bows and put them in baggies labeled with "Small Boutique" "Medium Pinwheel", etc. and would throw my baggies in purse to work on at park, etc. Baggies soon were worn out and I spent a lot of time digging through the bag looking for the right baggie.

So...Here is my solution. In the school supply section, get some of those zippered pouches that fit in a 3-ring binder. Get enough for each type bow you want to pre-cut for. Label the clear part with permanent marker and put your pre-cut ribbon in them. Put them all in a 3-ring binder and take them with you when you go. You don't have to worry about fumbling around your purse/bag/whatever looking for the baggies or the baggies tearing up on you. Also, do a zippered pouch for supplies like thread, pins, etc. and keep it in the front of the binder too. Sometimes, you can even find binders not much bigger than the pouches that can easily fit in your purse (like the dayrunner types). Have a shoe box handy to toss your bows in when ready.

If you want to change the labels on the bag, just use some rubbing alcohol or a chlorox wipe...marker comes right off.

Hope that wasn't confusing and that it will help someone as much as ya'll have helped me.

God bless!
This is a terrific idea Kelly!

I usually take my long strands of korker ribbon with me to cut while I sit and wait. This system will work great! Thanks for sharing
Old 05-03-2011, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by my.sweet.art View Post
Great idea!!!! I hadn't thought about that. I have a word doc with measurements for headbands, etc, but never thought about doing that. I have a ton of foe coming so I am definately going to use this idea - at my last show, I ended up with all bigger headbands because I didn't look at my chart...lol.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcc View Post

God bless!
LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! I'm gonna try it out
Old 05-03-2011, 02:42

I am sure lots of you have burned your finger with hot glue and its a PIA! So I started using the half silicone/rubber fingers that you use to count papers and it has saved my finger lots!! You can get 12 for $2.60 at office depot!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:19

oh I'm going to try this! my girls love making bows but I'm always the gluier bc it burns their fingers
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg

Tags
baby hairbow, ribbon, tips, wood burner