http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-26-2011, 02:59

Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Oooh, love the idea of the surrounds. I haven't tried them yet, but now I know to bake them and how, hehe.

If you need to use tweezers & you have a serger, use the serger tweezers that are used for threading. The extra length will give you more control. No serger? Besides finding them at sewing machine type stores, check medical & dental supplies for hemostats, if you like a two finger control: http://www.amazon.com/Excel-Hobby-Bl.../dp/B000BQ552Q

I'm cheap and haven't used heat set rhinestones yet. Know where to get real cheap tiny, small rhinestones for say, ribbon sculptures? Nail supply stores (personally I got a super buy on Ebay, (same with those googlie/googly eyes)

Manicurists use a special tool to apply them, but you can do the same thing with a little rolled up ball of tacky strip (the stuff you can put on behind your kid's artwork and then remove easy) or in a pinch a bit of chewing gum. Put the little ball on a chopstick or bar-b-que skewer, then stick on the rhinestone. Put your dab of glue or hotglue (smallest gun works best), then hover and aim your stick over glue & press lightly. If the rhinestone doesn't come right off, just wait for the glue to harden a bit, then remove.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 03-26-2011, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosey.nana View Post
Oooh, love the idea of the surrounds. I haven't tried them yet, but now I know to bake them and how, hehe.

If you need to use tweezers & you have a serger, use the serger tweezers that are used for threading. The extra length will give you more control. No serger? Besides finding them at sewing machine type stores, check medical & dental supplies for hemostats, if you like a two finger control: http://www.amazon.com/Excel-Hobby-Bl.../dp/B000BQ552Q

I'm cheap and haven't used heat set rhinestones yet. Know where to get real cheap tiny, small rhinestones for say, ribbon sculptures? Nail supply stores (personally I got a super buy on Ebay, (same with those googlie/googly eyes)

Manicurists use a special tool to apply them, but you can do the same thing with a little rolled up ball of tacky strip (the stuff you can put on behind your kid's artwork and then remove easy) or in a pinch a bit of chewing gum. Put the little ball on a chopstick or bar-b-que skewer, then stick on the rhinestone. Put your dab of glue or hotglue (smallest gun works best), then hover and aim your stick over glue & press lightly. If the rhinestone doesn't come right off, just wait for the glue to harden a bit, then remove.
What I love about hemostats is they lock Thanks for some great tips nosey.nana
Old 03-29-2011, 12:51

Not maybe a huge tip. But seems everyone is end to these singed flowers. I have bought a lot of different materials to try. I gotta say the one that for me works the best, and always works right is the polysatin from Hobby Lobby. The best news is it's always 2.99 a yard! You can even get half or a 1/3. I personally will only buy this now.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45

These are all great ideas and tips. Thanks. Nothing I can add, still a newbie learning
Old 03-31-2011, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
laurennicole shared a fabulous tut she found online for making...

"No Sew Fabric Flowers"

The tip here is to use a pipe cleaner The flowers look fabulous!
This is great! Love the pipecleaners! Mine take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to sew!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahg View Post
I just wanna say that the person who recommended "dot a bit of hot glue to the end of a new stick when you load it. This way it does not slip back out" is a FREAKING GENIUS!!!!!

I think that every time I use this tip, and wonder why I never figured that out before

So thanks
Agreed!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieboosmama View Post
My tip is I use a hanging jewelry organizer to keep my embellishments in I can see what I have at a glance and it frees up space on my table

Great idea! I have one of these in my closet and I don't use it. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryandlemons View Post
This is great! Love the pipecleaners! Mine take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to sew!
Glad it was helpful (and welcome to hg!)
Old 04-01-2011, 09:54

i am a newbie and ALL of these tips are fantastic! i have to admit i am slightly overwhelmed, but just from reading, i've already identified several that are going to make my life easier and save tons of time. thanks so much to all who shared!!

sandy
Old 04-01-2011, 07:17

Wink Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Ever slightly burn your finger so it is useless for an hour or so when you're close to finishing a bow? For a TEMPORARY fix dab a bit of butter on the burn. It will not benefit the wound in anyway besides subsiding the burning/throbbing sensation for a few minutes. It is not meant for constant use. Some swear by the Old Wives Tale, some are against it. It's your call..I've done this about 10 times and my burns healed just fine and no differently than they normally would have. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies

Tags
baby hairbow, ribbon, tips, wood burner