http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-22-2011, 07:38

Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileeDesigns View Post
If you have big order that needs done ASAP give your kids a tsp of benadryl... it will allow you the peace and uninterrupted craft time.
Well, I have twin boys that are 35 now & that was the only way I got important things done when they were very littleThey came out fine and none the worse, one's a Firefighter/Paramedic & the other a Surgeon...so shhh...Benadryl under extenuating circumstances..just don't post about it on the 'net, hehe.

Some years later, I suffered brain damage in my former career & memory & organization for me is a real problem. If I've learned one thing, when you can afford it, make the plastics industry rich & buy clear/transparent containers, envelopes, page protectors, etc..and you can never label too many things. And we eat our mother's words, "a place for everything and everything in it's place".

One tip I haven't seen mentioned which I've found helpful is using a piece of flat foam (in boxes) or foamcore board & pins when you're trying to figure out a new bow or clippie without benefit of a tutorial or measurements. You can do your mockup & save add'l ribbon and glue. Later when you've got it figured out (but aren't a speed demon yet) this set up is great as you glue, undo a pin, glue, etc.

Some people use angle irons or acrylic templates to throw all their korker bows between, then pull them together with one cinch of elastic or thread. I'm thinking of making my set up out of my foam instead!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54

When I make something for the first time from a tute that has specific colors, like a braided headband for example, I make a working copy of the pattern. Then I pencil in the colors that I am using for my project. This saves me a lot of time and frustration in matching my work to the directions.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:57

Quote:

I bought a tri-fold accessory bag that hangs. It has clear zippered compartments. I keep pieces of cut 3/8th ribbon, alligator clip, glue stick and small flowers in the different slots & zippered areas so when I am looking for something I have it hand. I just hang it on my wood blinds so it is right next to my chair.
--------------

OMG! I have one of those things that we got free! It's collecting dust, but now I have the perfect use for it!! Thank you!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:17

Ooooh thought of a couple of others. No need to go out and buy beeswax to make your thread/needle thicker and slideable. Include a bar of soap in your "tool kit". You'll get the wax off of that. A white ivory bar or clear would be best to avoid color transfer.

If you've entered the bifocular generation, like myself, here's a tip for threading your sewing machine needle (or any needle for that matter). Put a tiny piece of white paper, index card...something white & you'll be able to see more contrast & the outline of the hole in the needle better.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosey.nana View Post
Ooooh thought of a couple of others. No need to go out and buy beeswax to make your thread/needle thicker and slideable. Include a bar of soap in your "tool kit". You'll get the wax off of that. A white ivory bar or clear would be best to avoid color transfer.

If you've entered the bifocular generation, like myself, here's a tip for threading your sewing machine needle (or any needle for that matter). Put a tiny piece of white paper, index card...something white & you'll be able to see more contrast & the outline of the hole in the needle better.
Thanks for sharing your tips nosey.nana! (and welcome to hipgirls!)
Old 03-23-2011, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosey.nana View Post
One tip I haven't seen mentioned which I've found helpful is using a piece of flat foam (in boxes) or foamcore board & pins when you're trying to figure out a new bow or clippie without benefit of a tutorial or measurements. You can do your mockup & save add'l ribbon and glue. Later when you've got it figured out (but aren't a speed demon yet) this set up is great as you glue, undo a pin, glue, etc.
This is a great tip I've been using regular cardboard for ages (just cut up from packages we receive) but I like the idea of using foam board.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:45

Here is a fabulous tutorial that designsbycristi shared with the forum regarding how to make Interchangeable Necklaces. Thanks Cristi!

Instructions:

I have been asked a million times though how to make the magnetic interchageable chokers and as promised, thought I would share. If you ladies have any questions please post here. My PM box is about full and I am running around like a crazy person today so I might not be able to answer questions today! Here's what you need:

Microfiber tights - you do not need to buy ladies size tights. Childrens tights work just fine as long as they are the larger kids sizes of 12-14. I bought mine from Target in the girls section for somewhere around $1.99 each pair. Make sure they are microfiber
Washers - I bought these are Home Depot. I found them in the hardware isle. On that isle there are lots of bags hanging up on the wall. In between some of those bags are also small plastic boxes of washers as well. I bought a box of 100 for around $4.95. The size is 1/4"
Magnets - this is the hard part. Finding great magnets can be tricky. What you need are magents that are 1/4" round and 1/6" to 1/8" thick. I prefer to do my necklaces on regular bottle caps. I don't care for the inside out look (where the cap is reversed). That's just me though. So, therefore I use 1/8" thick magnets. If you were doing the cap reversed, you could get away with 1/16" thick magnets. You can do a search for rare earth magnet, neodium (not sure I have that quite right) magnet, etc. Sorry I don't have specific info on where to get these because I am a graphic designer for a major company and the owner sends me a ton of supplies in exchange for designs. My magnets are one of those things.
Self Healing Mat - The type that quilters use to cut things on. I'm not a quilter and I don't sew. There might be a better name for them, idk.
Rotary Cutter - Any size will do just fine
Straight Edge - Again, I don't sew but what you need here is one of those ruler things that are used in conjunction with the self healing mat so that your material doesn't slip when you cut it
E600 - This is what you will use to glue your magnet to your washer

Ok I think I have all of the supplies listed. Now, here's the steps:

Step 1 - Lay your tights out on your self healing mat
Step 2 - Cut the tights at the crotch part and discard the top part of the tights (the waist/crotch part).
Step 3 - Cut the feet tips off
Step 4 - Reposition your tights so that they are laying horizontally across the bottom of your self healing mat (line them up with the ruler part).
Step 5 - Using your rotary cutter and straight edge, cut the tights into 1/2" sections
Step 6 - Once your tights are all cut then you are ready to make the actual choker. When you pick up a piece that has been cut, you will see that the material automatically wants to fold back into itself. That is exactly what you want. In fact, you will need to roll it slightly to encourage it to continue folding. You want the ends folded back into themselves so that you don't see them on your necklace.
Step 7 - You are ready to attach the washer. This is just done by using a slip knot. You just stick one end of the tights through the washer and then loop the other end through it and pull. Try to pull gently and don't pull from the top, get your fingers close to the washer when you pull the tights. You really don't want them stretched out anymore than they need to be since they will automatically stretch when your customer puts them over their head.
Step 8 - Take your E600 and glue the magnet to the washer.
Step 9 - Take your bottle cap and put it on the washer. Obviously no need to glue since thats the whole point is to make them interchangeable. These magnets are super strong so once you get close to the magnet with your bottle cap, it will automatically grab the cap!

That's it. It's really pretty simple. I hope I have layed it out there in enough detail!

Cristi
Old 03-23-2011, 12:50

That is awesome! Thanks Maxine!

Here's my newest pearl! When baking surrounds, instead of using the ramekins, I use my muffin tin I cover it with foil and pop them in there

Also, it has been 147+ days since I have seen my DH, so don't expect me to be all rainbows and sunshine when you are being stupid. Oh, let us not forget the glitter.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBabyAccessories View Post
I also do this! Its great because you can pick the background color that will look best and make your bow stand out!

Great tips ladies, always appreciated.

My Tip- I use a pair of very fine tip tweezers to place my tiny rhinestones on the bows. As long as your hand is steady, it will get it exactly where you want it!! I also use the tweezers for glue spill over. If it spreads to a place where I don't want it on the bow, I use my lighter to heat up the end of the tweezers and heat up that glue spill over and it comes right off!
Love this idea... usually if I get glue where I don't want it, I use a straigt pin to scrape it away, but I have to be super duper quick or else I'm out of luck. Love the idea to heat the pin (or tweezers) first. GENIUS!!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:32

when modge podging the top of a bottle cap or the portion that shows through the glass on glass tiles, I use my finger rather than a brush or sponge, it leaves the image clear of marks etc
Sponsored Links

Tags
baby hairbow, ribbon, tips, wood burner