New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2011, 09:54
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobie View Post
Right now, I'm just dabbling in bow making (daughter will only wear headbands, so I've been focusing on those), so these tips are great. Mine will most likely be one everyone knows, but...

When making flower petals or butterfly wings (rounded edges) out of 1.5 ribbon, use a medicine cup as a template. It's the perfect size (I didn't feel like searching for a washer like I use for the 7/8 ribbon).
Love this idea Woobie! Thanks so much for sharing
__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
  #152 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2011, 06:50
lakesidesewing's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 428
Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

For those of you who sew and have issues with your machine "walking" away from you while you are using it....instead of purchasing the mats that the dealers sell for way too much $$$, go to your local box lot store and pick up one of those rubber kitchen mats (they are about a half in thick) that have the pictures on them, usually the picture is not pretty or printed badly that's why they are there....cut it to the size of your machine's footprint and put your machine on it....keeps your machine still...cuts down on the noise too (great for those late night sewing binges, and if you cut it slightly wider, you've got a strip to use as a pin cushion too. One regular size mat is big enough for a sewing machine and a serger.
Reply With Quote
  #153 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 04:55
noahsmom8497's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 757
Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

The best investment I made in my craft room was a (used, craigslist) baker's rack. It has two shelves up top where I store my tulle, etc. Then on the flat surface, that's where I do my glue stuff (sans a silicone mat but not for long).
Under that are the circular spaces to put wine bottles but I have skeins of yarn and then there's another shelf on the bottom where I keep random things.
Reply With Quote
  #154 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 05:43
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmom8497 View Post
The best investment I made in my craft room was a (used, craigslist) baker's rack. It has two shelves up top where I store my tulle, etc. Then on the flat surface, that's where I do my glue stuff (sans a silicone mat but not for long).
Under that are the circular spaces to put wine bottles but I have skeins of yarn and then there's another shelf on the bottom where I keep random things.
Super idea!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #155 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 05:44
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesidesewing View Post
For those of you who sew and have issues with your machine "walking" away from you while you are using it....instead of purchasing the mats that the dealers sell for way too much $$$, go to your local box lot store and pick up one of those rubber kitchen mats (they are about a half in thick) that have the pictures on them, usually the picture is not pretty or printed badly that's why they are there....cut it to the size of your machine's footprint and put your machine on it....keeps your machine still...cuts down on the noise too (great for those late night sewing binges, and if you cut it slightly wider, you've got a strip to use as a pin cushion too. One regular size mat is big enough for a sewing machine and a serger.
Great idea!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #156 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 07:25
elly760's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: McAllen, TX
Posts: 1,436
Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Here's a recent one that I just discovered - instead of cutting out cardboard pieces for my tulle I used a plastic box lid and it actually has worked better for me! It doesnt bend like the cardboard does AND it has an empty space on the bottom of the lid so the scissors are easier to put through to cut.
__________________
Martha
Reply With Quote
  #157 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 09:57
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly760 View Post
Here's a recent one that I just discovered - instead of cutting out cardboard pieces for my tulle I used a plastic box lid and it actually has worked better for me! It doesnt bend like the cardboard does AND it has an empty space on the bottom of the lid so the scissors are easier to put through to cut.
This is great Elly! I'm going to try it out this week! Thanks for sharing!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #158 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 10:42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 136
Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

this is such a great thread!! Unfortunately I cant seem to think of any tips I have at this moment that haven't already been posted Will be back for sure once I do!
Reply With Quote
  #159 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2011, 06:48
lpeacock's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 191
Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Ive read some great ideas!! I'm pretty new & have lots of ribbon everywhere....today I put my 3/8in ribbon in a wipes container to keep it Ll together
Reply With Quote
  #160 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2011, 07:13
GARandMCR's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,611
Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

I think I have new one!

I made a ton of spikes yesterday and didn't want to buy a metal square. I had a piece of glass lying around from a frame that I use to photograph on and used the corner of it as my guide to cut my dove tails with my wood burner! They are still time consuming, but with this and the help from Maxine and LilRedSmiles, my spikes came out perfect!
__________________
There is a grave difference between supporting the war effort and those in uniform. If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Also, it has been 147+ days since I have seen my DH, so don't expect me to be all rainbows and sunshine when you are being stupid. Oh, let us not forget the glitter.

Last edited by GARandMCR; 03-15-2011 at 08:17.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Reply

Tags
baby hairbow, ribbon, tips, wood burner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Free Instructions---------Free Instructions----------Free Instructions-----------Free Instructions.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/ribbon-korker-hair-bow-clip-instructions-sm.jpg
New Instructions--How to make braided/woven headband instruction
New Instructions--How to make hair bow gift basket
Free Hair Bow Instructions-Snail
Free Hair Bow Instructions--Christmas Tree
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/bee/bumble%20bee%20sm.jpg

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/rainbow-ribbon-dragonfly-hair-clips-free-tutorial/dragonfly-rainbow.jpg

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger