Free Instructions---------Free Instructions----------Free Instructions-----------Free Instructions.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/ribbon-korker-hair-bow-clip-instructions-sm.jpg
New Instructions--How to make braided/woven headband instruction
New Instructions--How to make hair bow gift basket
Free Hair Bow Instructions-Snail
Free Hair Bow Instructions--Christmas Tree
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/bee/bumble%20bee%20sm.jpg

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/rainbow-ribbon-dragonfly-hair-clips-free-tutorial/dragonfly-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-06-2011, 04:56

Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendykay717 View Post
I know this may sound dumb, but I use glue dots when I am making ribbon figures. It lets me play with and for a short time move the ribbon if I am not happy with where I put it. I used to do a lot of scrapbooking and have a ton of glue dots left. After a short time they are permanent and it is really hard to move the ribbon!
Not dumb at all, in fact often the ideas/suggestions etc. we think sound dumb are usually the best ones
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 03-07-2011, 03:54

great tips.

whenever I need to use a dresspin to hold ribbn together, like in the middle when you make twisteds with a template or when you make the flower loop bows, I use a pushpin instead. It provides a better grip at the bottom and the needle doesn't go side to side.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:41

Thanks for posting these tips!! They seem as though they will be very helpful. I don't have anything to add at the moment, but hopefully in time I will.

Mom to Kali & Sia
http://kalihunefer.blogspot.com/ - Our Miracle
Old 03-07-2011, 04:43

I am new to this, and I didn't see this posted yet but sometimes when I'm using hot glue, it oozes out the sides where I don't want it. When it cools, I pull it off but sometimes it leaves a little glue behind which is hard to scrape off. I hold the wood burner just above where the glue is and it usually melts way (watch out though, whatever you were gluing will be soft so just make sure to not move anything until the area cools again).
Old 03-07-2011, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok2000 View Post
I am new to this, and I didn't see this posted yet but sometimes when I'm using hot glue, it oozes out the sides where I don't want it. When it cools, I pull it off but sometimes it leaves a little glue behind which is hard to scrape off. I hold the wood burner just above where the glue is and it usually melts way (watch out though, whatever you were gluing will be soft so just make sure to not move anything until the area cools again).
I do this also
Old 03-08-2011, 11:19

Thumbs up Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Using a ceramic mug to hold your wood burning tool is a terrific idea. I have been trying to figure something out and the best I came up with was laying it on a ceramic trivet. It works okay except it is still very easy to get pulled off if you even barely move the electrical cord. I will definitely be using a mug next time. Thanks for the wonderful tip.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:55

i hate to turn on the oven on a hot day..so when i need to make a bow stiff i spray it with strach and put it in the micowave..depending on the ribbon for stain..2 min..and for gross grain..3 min or once dry...works great...
Old 03-09-2011, 04:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink5js View Post
i hate to turn on the oven on a hot day..so when i need to make a bow stiff i spray it with strach and put it in the micowave..depending on the ribbon for stain..2 min..and for gross grain..3 min or once dry...works great...
good tip, i bet it saves energy too!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:28

Here is my tip that helped save my fingers

When I first started making bows and learning to use my glue gun and wood burner, I kept a small bowl of cold water on the table to dip my fingers in when I got hot glue on them. Helped stop the burn of hot glue really quick!!! I keep burn gel on my table too.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:58

Right now, I'm just dabbling in bow making (daughter will only wear headbands, so I've been focusing on those), so these tips are great. Mine will most likely be one everyone knows, but...

When making flower petals or butterfly wings (rounded edges) out of 1.5 ribbon, use a medicine cup as a template. It's the perfect size (I didn't feel like searching for a washer like I use for the 7/8 ribbon).
Sponsored Links

Tags
baby hairbow, ribbon, tips, wood burner