ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

New To Forum? Please check this out:

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-29-2008, 11:50
Default not sure the best place to post this

question or how best to word it so here goes. You very talented ladies get on here and showcase your beautiful work, are you not concerned that
your stuff will be copied? Or, do you assume to a certain extent that if you are sharing on the internet you WILL be copied? Or do you not care? The reason I am asking is that I for one am one of the poor people that doesn't have an original idea in my head grrrrr! I can look at something that catches my eye and usually come up with something close, I may not have the exact items or colors as the 'sample' and I may change out something here or there, but generally, I rarely 'create' something on my own (and envy those who can)! I just wondered, I had read a thread here or somewhere else where the gal was approached at a craft show and told she was violating someone else's copy right and that there was a patent pending or something to that effect....what do you all think? I am hoping to do a craft show with my mother in law, it is a small 'old home days' in a rural community and I will do cards and other paper crafts, she will do some crocheted items
and I was thinking of doing some bows as well.....maybe...assuming I can figure out how to make them lol~ I have yet to actually make a bow, though I did do a braided headband tee hee! So, just looking for opinions out there.
thanks, and I hope no one is offended by my post, that is not my intention at all...just looking to find the 'ethics' here.
thanx a bunch
Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2008, 12:04
Default Re: not sure the best place to post this

Personally, I don't mind being "copied." As long as people are not taking the few free instructions I posted here and try to sell my instructions as their own, I don't really care if someone else uses my idea or copies my creation. I know what you mean about your stuff looking simailar to other people's. Sometimes I feel that mine does too. I started doing polymer clay and I make it a point not to look at too much polymer clay creations by other ladies, so that my creations can be as original as they can be (which they are not ). If I have an idea, I will just try it and learn it through trials and errors.
My etsy shop:

My online store:

Old 04-29-2008, 12:18

I don't think you can patent a hair bow. I could be wrong. I do know of a girl online that tried doing that by saying she created a certain style of bow but it did no good because someone else mentioned that she had bows like that when she was younger.

It's unlikely that something like a bow is copyrighted. Someone may have a name trademarked, but they can't copyright how a bow is folded.

Also, you cannot copy other people's instructions and then decide to sell them to others.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:08

I think that anyone here that posts pictures or instructions want to share. I also sometimes cannot come up with original ideas. Not because I can't, I just don't have the space in my head to do it at this point in my life. I admit I look at others and make my own. To me that is a talent in it's self. But because I make alot of things by sight alone, I of course make it my way. I appreciate all the sharing that does happen, so thank you to all that share. I just hope that someday I can return the favor.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:50

I personally like to share so I can see what people like and don't like. And on the bow fold thing. I think that everyone has their OWN way of really doing it anyway. You can read instructions but they may not necessarily work for you. I've bought instructions before and did it their way and it didn't look great but what I did do is take a bit of their advice and others advice from here and it has helped me greatly. Like others have said, I really don't think you could patent a bow fold. That's like saying you can't fold your company letterhead the same as another company. That's just my opinion though, but I could also be wrong about that.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:56

Even if I didn't post in here what I make- people will find my shop online and copy from there. So IMO-= if you sell online.. then someone is going to copy you at some point.

Now- when I first started doing this- I didn't know satin from grosgrain. Over a period of time I have learned so much! I can sit at the bow table and things just pop into my head. OH!!! I can take this idea and make it this.. or I know how to make a round body.. I wonder if I could make a pig? like that! LOLOL
Old 04-29-2008, 10:01

I agree with chanilly....I've seen some of the instructions. I just do what's best for me. But...when I first started...I was really worried when I found out another mom at my daugther's school makes bows too....it had me bummed for days...we had a few similiar items, but then I realized we have more items that are different than alike. That's kinda how everyone is on here. Everyone has a few similiar items, but we all have certain things that makes us stand out....so it all evens out I think. Plus....the more bow makers....the more kids who wear them....the more moms will want them. Win win for everybody.
Sponsored Links