Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-10-2011, 07:42

Default TUTU makers, please read and help me out!

Hello everyone!

I thought I was unlucky that my daughter refused to wear tutus. She said they were itchy, pinchy and scratchy. Boo for me.

When I am finally over the hump and thinking, oh I don't have to buy or make tutus!!!! my daughter peers over my shoulder as I'm shopping etsy and says "Mom!! That baby is adorable and I love her pretty dress..." of course it's a tutu dress. The kind of tulle dress that has strips of tulle to the ankles.

Now I have to ask, if I want a no sew tut (or even sew, I have a machine) to make the longer style (not short and puffy), where should I go?

And as far as purchasing tulle, what's the softest kind out there? Best way to purchase for just 1 dress?

You all have helped me out so much, I know you'll point me in the right direction. I want to make something like these dresses:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/43753954..._noautofacet=1

http://www.etsy.com/listing/66690073...-2t-to-4t-with

mylittlenuggets.etsy.com, Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2011, 12:18

Default Re: TUTU makers, please read and help me out!

Not sure about the first one but the second is just a very long tutu pulled up so it fits below the arms and the ribbon has been added as a halter strap.
Best place for good quality tulle I have found is angelbabes you can find he on esty or her website.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:38

The softest tulle type of mesh material is english netting and it's about 20 - 30 dollars a yard. The way I avoid the itchy part is just have DD wear a onesie under her dress or a shirt.

The first one is just a layer of tulle from the bolt sewn into the skirt of a dress.

The second one is regular tulle you get from Hobby Lobby, several rolls by the look of it. I made my daughter a dress like that for Halloween but of course she's only 2 so it wasn't as long. :-)
Old 02-12-2011, 03:58

Alright, I'm going to really try to make one -- but I can't figure the cost of tulle, amount needed and if it looks good, how to price on my site (if it ever gets that far). You need A LOT of tulle for just 1 dress...

Old 02-12-2011, 04:42

BB Crafts sells premium tulle in 6" rolls if 100 yds and they are reasonable at $5 per roll. HTH!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleK View Post
BB Crafts sells premium tulle in 6" rolls if 100 yds and they are reasonable at $5 per roll. HTH!
Just checked out bb crafts, $6/100yds -- that's very reasonable since michaels is 2.99 for 25yds! Is it soft?

Checked out angelbabes and for just some tulle to practice 1 tutu or for fairy wand goody bag gifts I think the price is reasonable. Any other tips for finding affordable tulle?

Old 02-14-2011, 10:00

BB crafts is cheapest or Gifts int for tulle -you want a soft nylon tulle -when you are making a long tutu --best to get it in the 6" rolls like pp said its the same tulle you see for wedding favours -soft very soft it wont feel scratchy to thier skin
Old 02-14-2011, 11:04

Thanks so much ladies! I ordered some from angelbabes, and will see if I can make the tutu. If it works out, I'll order more from bb crafts and compare the two.

There aren't any craft stores where I live (except michaels and joanns).

Old 02-15-2011, 10:06

Good luck with the dress!! Post pics when you are done
Old 02-15-2011, 10:50

I will! I'm so excited -- but I bet my daughter won't wear even though she's asking for it.

I just realized that when I post, it says "senior member"!!! Wooooohooooo

Sponsored Links