New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-15-2007, 03:44

Default hand painting licensed disney images

I saw this cutest outfit on ebay by someone. They painted an outfit down to the shoes of a disney character. I would like for my brother to reproduce this for me. Before I do, is it legally ok to hand reproduce a Disney Licensed image?

Old 10-15-2007, 04:05
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbland View Post
I saw this cutest outfit on ebay by someone. They painted an outfit down to the shoes of a disney character. I would like for my brother to reproduce this for me. Before I do, is it legally ok to hand reproduce a Disney Licensed image?
If you want to reproduce and sell it, then it's illegal. Not sure about personal use.

For example: Brother embroidery machine comes with Disney design. But they are for personal use only. You cannot make something using their design and sell it. I read the agreement so I'm pretty sure.

Michelle
Old 10-15-2007, 04:57

Yup, home use only. I've got a brother embroidery machine too and you can only use it for home use. I don't understand how all the people at the craft shows can sell disney items. At the last show I was at there were a bunch of different booths selling disney and college blankets, buckets, photo frames you name it! They were sellin like hotcakes too. People just don't understand that they can't sell them and they could get in trouble. So if your going to do it, make sure it's only for you and not for resale.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:55

I wondered that too...how do people get away with selling "mickey" bows or boutique bows with little mickey symbol shaped buttons on them? Are those legal? The all black 3 circles in the shape of a mickey head? I see those all the time. Same with the grinch face appliques on girls shirts and pants and stuff. They're super cute, i wouldn't be gutsy enough to do it :P
Old 10-18-2007, 04:29

I wouldn't think so.... I haven't found any good looking bulldogs. Any luck finding any?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:07

From what I understand you can make things to sell, like Blankets that have the Disney Charaters on them IF the material was bought with the charater already on it. You can not reproduce it yourself though.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:23

Default Re: hand painting licensed disney images

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyekatt View Post
From what I understand you can make things to sell, like Blankets that have the Disney Charaters on them IF the material was bought with the charater already on it. You can not reproduce it yourself though.
Absolutely incorrect.

You may not make a finished product with any licensed image and sell it.

I recently called the manufacturer of college ribbons. I asked about making bows with them because I was thinking of reselling the ribbons. He said you may buy the ribbon and resell the ribbon as is. You may not make a finished product, a bow for example, and sell the product. So anyone who buys the ribbon from me may not make a bow and sell the bow. He said you would have to have the license from each school for that.

Same goes for any copyrighted, licensed, trademarked image. I see a lot of people here selling bottlecaps with licensed images, mostly Disney and Nickelodeon images here. It is a copyright infringement.

The original question was about painting something for home use. I am not sure about hand painting an item. I would guess that is also an infringement. But you may make items for personal use with fabric, ribbon, etc. with licensed images. For example, you buy fabric with Cinderella. It will probably say somewhere for the home sewer only. It is for your personal use. That's why the sewing machine has the image. It is for your use, not to sell.

Same with cake pans. You can make that cake as many times as you want for your children as long as you don't make a cake and sell it.

Last edited by yellaribbon; 08-09-2008 at 03:26.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:43

So, for the princess ribbon sculptures then, would it be illegal to have them 'looking' like the princess (say Ariel), but naming them something else? Or could they still come after you?

That's all I need is Disney sueing me for a $5 hair clip, LOL!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellaribbon View Post
Absolutely incorrect.

You may not make a finished product with any licensed image and sell it.

I recently called the manufacturer of college ribbons. I asked about making bows with them because I was thinking of reselling the ribbons. He said you may buy the ribbon and resell the ribbon as is. You may not make a finished product, a bow for example, and sell the product. So anyone who buys the ribbon from me may not make a bow and sell the bow. He said you would have to have the license from each school for that.

Same goes for any copyrighted, licensed, trademarked image. I see a lot of people here selling bottlecaps with licensed images, mostly Disney and Nickelodeon images here. It is a copyright infringement.

The original question was about painting something for home use. I am not sure about hand painting an item. I would guess that is also an infringement. But you may make items for personal use with fabric, ribbon, etc. with licensed images. For example, you buy fabric with Cinderella. It will probably say somewhere for the home sewer only. It is for your personal use. That's why the sewing machine has the image. It is for your use, not to sell.

Same with cake pans. You can make that cake as many times as you want for your children as long as you don't make a cake and sell it.
Actually, this is also incorrect. Once you purchase, it is yours to do with as you please. Tabberone has won numerous lawsuits regarding this issue....

Look here:

Tabberone. Great fabrics and collectibles.

Tabber's Temptations ™ found it necessary to take "Da Mouse" to court in the Federal District Court for Colorado, alleging that Disney interferred with business by terminating auctions by Tabberone that were selling fabric items made from licensed Disney fabric. Disney has agreed in writing to leave us alone. CLICK HERE for details of the case and many others. Bear in mind, we represented ourselves entirely in this case. We received no help from any attorneys

THEY WON!
"The whole point of the first sale doctrine is that once the copyright owner places a copyrighted item in the stream of commerce by selling it, he has exhausted his exclusive statutory right to control its distribution."
Carter 5
Abby 3

www.mybellaboutique.com

www.mybellaboutique.etsy.com

Old 08-10-2008, 09:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennygoff View Post
What a great site... I was reading through the Hall of Shame. It's amazing
Sponsored Links