Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-10-2008, 10:50

Default Re: hand painting licensed disney images

There is this women that a friend of mine told me about. She hand painted her nursery with all the disney princess. She was of proud of her work. She showed her neighbor and was sewed by disney for 1,800 bucks and they came and painted over it. Her neighbor worked for disney.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2008, 11:37

Wow that is interesting stuff! I have always been under the impression that you could use trademarked things as long as you paid for the original item (ie ribbon, material) and advertised as it being handmade from that product. Tabberone is very clever and witty! I am glad to see someone take on the "big dogs." They get their cut in the begining......they are just being GREEDY!

Just my opinion.

~~Jenn~~
Old 08-10-2008, 11:52

That's an interesting site. Did you read their disclaimer?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyladybug01 View Post
There is this women that a friend of mine told me about. She hand painted her nursery with all the disney princess. She was of proud of her work. She showed her neighbor and was sewed by disney for 1,800 bucks and they came and painted over it. Her neighbor worked for disney.
What a jerk her neighbor was!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe that story!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellaribbon View Post
That's an interesting site. Did you read their disclaimer?
Yep...I think it's great.

But first, the required legal disclaimer. We are not lawyers. The statements made here concerning legal rights and legal options are opinions and a result of our encounters, in and out of federal court, with lawyers representing corporations who have threatened us over trademark and copyright issues. We strongly suggest you seek competent legal advice before attempting to do what we have done. We did. And we were told we didn't have a chance. So we ignored them. And we won. End of disclaimer.
Carter 5
Abby 3

www.mybellaboutique.com

www.mybellaboutique.etsy.com

Old 08-11-2008, 12:04

Old 07-16-2009, 07:30

Those stories about Disney coming in and taking action against home crafters are all urban myths. Not one can be verified; they are ALL second hand. None are true. No company has the legal right to do anything in your home or business without a court order.

The statements on fabrics or software about limits on selling products made are not enforceable under federal law. Items made from licensed fabrics fall under trademark law, not copyright law. Permission from the fabric manufacturer is not required under the First Sale Doctrine to make and then sell items made from their fabric (see Precious Moments v La Infantil, 1997, (D.P.R.) 971 F.Supp. 66).

We have been in federal court against M&M/Mars, Disney, Major League Baseball, Sanrio (Hello Kitty) and United Media (Peanuts), all over the use of their licensed fabrics, and everyone of them preferred to settle the matter rather than fight it in court. And we represented ourselves. Every one of these cases and settlements are on our web site. These are billion dollar companies that have very large legal budgets who did not want to be on the losing side of this issue in federal court like Precious Moments was.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:15

Bravo.

My husband is an attorney and I am usually on the side of the Licensor/Infringee, however not in this case.

Crafters owe more to you for what you were willing to stand up for then they will ever realize.

Bravo.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella01 View Post
So, for the princess ribbon sculptures then, would it be illegal to have them 'looking' like the princess (say Ariel), but naming them something else? Or could they still come after you?

That's all I need is Disney sueing me for a $5 hair clip, LOL!!!!!!

i heard that as long as u dont call it "ariel" its fine
Old 07-16-2009, 10:47

hmmm interesting...The back of my UT ribbon I bought from Walmart did say not to be sold as a completed project. I see this stuff all the time at craft shows too...What about those Mickey appliques? Everyone sells them. I sell them. I'm not worried about it..
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies