printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-10-2011, 03:56

Default melted my korkers ribbon

hi, I am a newbie to ribbon crafts and this forum..

I was making my first korkers and followed instructions of oven temp at 275 for 15-20 min... I did and this is what happened-- my ribbon melted

help!! I am making them for my 8 yr old niece... school colors

I used 3/8" grosgrain in the following colors:

red, white, black, red with white dots, black with white dots and a satin ribbon (100% polyester-- which I read was ok for korkers, too) white with red and black dots...

thanks for any help or suggestions..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pics 001.jpg (71.1 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg pics 002.jpg (63.3 KB, 168 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2011, 04:03

Default Re: melted my korkers ribbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboyd10 View Post
hi, I am a newbie to ribbon crafts and this forum..

I was making my first korkers and followed instructions of oven temp at 275 for 15-20 min... I did and this is what happened-- my ribbon melted

help!! I am making them for my 8 yr old niece... school colors

I used 3/8" grosgrain in the following colors:

red, white, black, red with white dots, black with white dots and a satin ribbon (100% polyester-- which I read was ok for korkers, too) white with red and black dots...

thanks for any help or suggestions..
I am so sorry! Wow, those are really burnt!

Are you sure someone didn't accidentally turn up the heat on the oven while they were in there baking?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:05

ooh ...ms maxine is right...ur oven is too hot! turn it down to 220 degrees and try just a piece to see if that works! some ovens run hotter than others, hope this helps!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:06

Yikes! Sorry that happened. I usually do 20 minutes at 250. That is what works best for my oven.
Wholesale Ribbon Sculptures- accepting limited orders- http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/ribbo...culptures.html
Old 02-10-2011, 04:06

Oh dear! I've never seen that before! The only things I could suggest is that, like Maxine said, maybe the oven accidently got turned up or could it possibly be because maybe your rack is too close to the heat? I don't know though, that might not have anything to do with it. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:07

Wow, I usually bake mine 250 for 30 minutes but have left them up to an hour! Never had them melt! Try putting a thermometer in your oven to see what the true temp is.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugabugzboutique View Post
Wow, I usually bake mine 250 for 30 minutes but have left them up to an hour! Never had them melt! Try putting a thermometer in your oven to see what the true temp is.
Yep, this happened to me today. I put a tray in, forgot to check them and 50 minutes later ran to the oven. Wasn't sure what I was going to find, but it was all good. It was light colored ribbon too, so I thought for sure they would be discolored or something. But they weren't. Not sure why yours melted?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:14

Hmmm...thought of something else, could there any chance you had the broiler on? Like some of the pp I have left my ribbon in at 270* for close to and hour and nothing happened to it.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhite214 View Post
Hmmm...thought of something else, could there any chance you had the broiler on? Like some of the pp I have left my ribbon in at 270* for close to and hour and nothing happened to it.
Ahhh, that could be it! Good thinking!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:28

I have also left bows in the oven for almost an hour and they have never melted.. I have also done satin like that and nothing your oven must be super hot. Like one of the other girls said I would get a thermometer and check the true temp of your oven. GL!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.