Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-14-2011, 10:28

Default Re: melted my korkers ribbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboyd10 View Post
okay, here is the update:

I went and bought a new oven thermometer.. tested my oven and it preheated to 275 in 5 min! My husband replaced both the thermostat and the heating unit on the oven.. so it works great-- he did that last year..

I made the korkers and baked them for 275 for 1/2 hr.. they turned out great.. I continued with the directions, but my korkers seemed limp.. so I trimmed them back-- they were about 6" long and now they are about 3 1/2" long.. is that about right? each korker is about 4 curls ... so since I couldn't get the knack yet for a single korker, I made 2 little korkers that my niece can wear together or individually...

let me know what you all think!

I am not mailing them yet, til I get 2 other bows for her made (an Easter one and her birthday one).. then I am mailing her out 4 different bows (these korkers and a St Patty's Day one)...

Thanks for all your help and let me know if I need to trim them shorter or if there was something else I should have done..

I did spray them with spray starch and attached a lined alligator clip to the backs..
Yay! They look great!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa23 View Post
Oh yeah!! Glad it worked for you. 2 1/2-3 1/2 in is a good size and make them nice and full. Personally 6 in is way too long. If you trim them a little shorter they may fluff up a little better for you and seem less limp. You can even try a bigger dowel to kork the ribbon on, this will give you bigger curls.
I make 3 different size korkers.. 2", 2.5" and 3". I actually like the tinier ones better

I agree that 6" would be too long.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
I make 3 different size korkers.. 2", 2.5" and 3". I actually like the tinier ones better

I agree that 6" would be too long.
I was just thinking maybe i should get some thinner dowels for the mini korkers i make, i could use more pieces with smaller curls LOL , duh why didn't i think of that before

http://www.etsy.com/shop/alyssa232007
Old 02-15-2011, 08:12

i'm coming in here late w/a possible suggestion . . . but it looks like you have the shiny side of aluminum foil facing up - that reflects heat/increases the temp!

try dull side up this time . . . or use a glass casserole & rest the dowels on the rim w/no foil.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:39

Quote:
I was just thinking maybe i should get some thinner dowels for the mini korkers i make, i could use more pieces with smaller curls LOL , duh why didn't i think of that before
Great idea! Let me know how it turns out, ok?

All my korkers (to this point) are made with 3/8" ribbon. I usually use 40 pieces (at least) per piece.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:37

By any chance is your oven a convection oven? I baked some at my cousins house one time and the same thing happened. We used a thermometer and everything the temp was correct and we put them in for the same time I normally do.

--Cassie
Old 02-15-2011, 01:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlsnswirls View Post
By any chance is your oven a convection oven? I baked some at my cousins house one time and the same thing happened. We used a thermometer and everything the temp was correct and we put them in for the same time I normally do.

--Cassie
LOL If I woulda looked above I wouldve seen that you solved your problem . I've been told I have the attn span of a goldfish so I just run through things
Old 02-15-2011, 09:47

Quote:
Oh yeah!! Glad it worked for you. 2 1/2-3 1/2 in is a good size and make them nice and full. Personally 6 in is way too long. If you trim them a little shorter they may fluff up a little better for you and seem less limp. You can even try a bigger dowel to kork the ribbon on, this will give you bigger curls.
when I cut them-- the original korker was off a 12" dowel rod (1/4" in thickness)..so I cut the korker in half-- hence the 6" in length.. bc I figured, that if I put the korker together, each side would be about 3" in length-- but it didn't work how I thought it would-- it looked more like a weeping willow :O)

so after I trimmed it, it seemed to perk up a bit..I did spray it with Faultless spray starch and let it hang upside down over nite.. now it stands straight up! I just looks not as full as I thought it would.. I had about 40 korkers.. between the 2 bows... but it just didn't work out as a full one, that is why I made 2 smaller ones... I will have to try the larger dowels and see how that works out -- thanks for the tip!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
Yay! They look great!

thank you! I am going to keep trying and perfect these! :O)
Old 02-15-2011, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by prleaf View Post
i'm coming in here late w/a possible suggestion . . . but it looks like you have the shiny side of aluminum foil facing up - that reflects heat/increases the temp!

try dull side up this time . . . or use a glass casserole & rest the dowels on the rim w/no foil.

thanks, I didn't even think of that! I will try it the other way next time.. with the foil shiny side down... or the casserole idea
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/appletati.png