Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-10-2011, 09:21

Default Re: melted my korkers ribbon

thanks for all the suggestions, tips and tricks!

I am going to get a new thermometer this wknd and try it again... I will succeed at this!

I think that my oven is just one that runs hot.. I have an older oven that has a broil and a speed broil.. I had pulled the speed broil out the other day, so I could fit my 6 qt dutch oven in there for lunch and I didn't put it back in when I baKed my korkers.. didn't think I needed it.. so I put it back in tonite and will try one korker this wknd and see what happens..hopefully success

I will let you all know and keep you posted.. thanks again.. so glad I found this forum!
Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2011, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboyd10 View Post
thanks for all the suggestions, tips and tricks!

I am going to get a new thermometer this wknd and try it again... I will succeed at this!

I think that my oven is just one that runs hot.. I have an older oven that has a broil and a speed broil.. I had pulled the speed broil out the other day, so I could fit my 6 qt dutch oven in there for lunch and I didn't put it back in when I baKed my korkers.. didn't think I needed it.. so I put it back in tonite and will try one korker this wknd and see what happens..hopefully success

I will let you all know and keep you posted.. thanks again.. so glad I found this forum!
Let us know ~ I'm glad you have a good attitude about it! That's great!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:04

Good Luck! My first ones had NO curl, so I had to adjust my oven and time. Just use a small piece of ribbon and play around until you get it just right.
Wholesale Ribbon Sculptures- accepting limited orders- http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/ribbo...culptures.html
Old 02-10-2011, 11:02

thanks!

Yeah, that is what I plan on doing.. just testing one and seeing how to adjust from there.. I'm excited bc I can have a relaxing hobby (finally).. but after I saw the melted ribbon.. I wasn't so relaxed!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56

I've had my little clothespins too close to the element and they caught on fire once. It was the only time my ribbons looked like that. Did you have smoke at all? I wonder if they caught fire but burned out once the ribbon melted away?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:40

That's pretty crazy. Yesterday was a busy morning and I forgot my ribbon in the oven for about an hour. I was sure they would be melted but they weren't.

I do mine at 275 and leave it for 30 mins, then I just turn off the oven and leave them in there until I'm ready to use them.

Hopefully next time will work out!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:35

Good to hear that you aren't giving up!

That is just amazing the see the ribbon melted like that. The only time I've had issues with korker ribbon is when I've starched them and the wood 'dirt' has soaked through to the ribbon and left marks.

Def try and use a lower heat, even if you need to put them in for longer.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:57

okay, here is the update:

I went and bought a new oven thermometer.. tested my oven and it preheated to 275 in 5 min! My husband replaced both the thermostat and the heating unit on the oven.. so it works great-- he did that last year..

I made the korkers and baked them for 275 for 1/2 hr.. they turned out great.. I continued with the directions, but my korkers seemed limp.. so I trimmed them back-- they were about 6" long and now they are about 3 1/2" long.. is that about right? each korker is about 4 curls ... so since I couldn't get the knack yet for a single korker, I made 2 little korkers that my niece can wear together or individually...

let me know what you all think!

I am not mailing them yet, til I get 2 other bows for her made (an Easter one and her birthday one).. then I am mailing her out 4 different bows (these korkers and a St Patty's Day one)...

Thanks for all your help and let me know if I need to trim them shorter or if there was something else I should have done..

I did spray them with spray starch and attached a lined alligator clip to the backs..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pics 061.jpg (54.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg pics 058.jpg (54.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg pics 062.jpg (53.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-14-2011, 10:20

That's a bummer! I have never had a problem with baking my korkers but one day i decided to spray some bows with staflo (i think that is the name) first time using it and my bows melted!!! So upset!!! It was hobby lobby ribbon too. I didn't bake them any longer than i do my korkers. Did you spray yours with anything? By chance use hobby lobby ribbon? I usually use faultless spray starch and will only use that from now on.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/alyssa232007
Old 02-14-2011, 10:24

Oh yeah!! Glad it worked for you. 2 1/2-3 1/2 in is a good size and make them nice and full. Personally 6 in is way too long. If you trim them a little shorter they may fluff up a little better for you and seem less limp. You can even try a bigger dowel to kork the ribbon on, this will give you bigger curls.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/alyssa232007
Sponsored Links