http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-08-2011, 01:41

Default Re: I just ruined 5 yards of korker ribbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davang1027 View Post
There have been several discussions on this but it's been a while- I know it was advised to bake longer at a lesser temp but let me see if I can find specifics!
Maybe not! I found one discussion in which several said it still didn't help but I found this suggestion I'd never heard before:

"I spray my dot korkers with 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar. I just spritz it on, they don't have to be soaked. I bake them the same as my reg. korkers. I have never had a problem with the dots discoloring. I read this tip somewhere years ago when I started making bows and it really works.

Julie"

www.sassyfrog.etsy.com
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:42

I find that occasionally some ribbons just don't like to be wet--I make lots of korkers and I always cook them dry--275 for 25 min then I take them out of the oven--turn the oven off, spray them well with starch from a can and pop them back in the oven for 5 min--since they are hot the starch doesn't really have a chance to get really wet and make the colors run. Also, I use specific sticks for white and light ribbon, some for red and some for dark colors to keep colors from transferring.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:42

I did some last night. There was a thread on here from someone who has beautiful korkers. She sprays them with starch from a can. Makes them wet. Then puts them in the oven at 275 for 20 mins. I did it exactly as she said and they came out great. I do put them in a big pan that is lined with foil. I actually put mine in for 30 mins. I did them at 350 also and no problems.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:47

I spray mine, bake at 215 for about twenty minutes and don't have a problem. However, some ribbons just fade, I'm thinking this is the case, and that you didn't do anything wrong. I will never use UB ribbon again, it stained all my dowel rods so that I wasn't able to use them on light colored ribbon. So maybe it's just the ribbon, I bought some hearts at Michaels that also did that,
Jeannie

Facebook Group for Destash and Wholesaling your items. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Craf...handWholesale/
Old 02-08-2011, 01:48

Here is the post. Hers are gorgeous. She is very helpful.

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/hairb...sbowtique.html
Old 02-08-2011, 02:32

I don't usually put anything on my ribbon at all and I never have trouble with discoloring unless I've done something like red on a dowel and then I try to do a light color on it.

I have korkers that I made well over a year ago and they are still perfectly korked.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:35

I haven't had any problems like this. hmmm.... I have had fading on my dowels that will transfer on to my ribbon. So all my reds and dark colors use the same dowels and my pastels and light colors use different ones.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty105 View Post
I noticed that when I do korkers, the ribbon tends to bleed onto the dowel. Then when you use it again with a lighter color ribbon it will transfer the dye on to it. The best solution is that you use a dowel only for that specific color. Sorry you had to go thrugh that. Hope it helps.
Thats what I was going to say... I am sorry this happened to you!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
I've sprayed my finished bows with the 50/50 solution and let them air dry. There hasn't been any issues.

So why are the korkers getting ruined? (sigh)
Lower your oven temp. I have this same problem with dots or printed ribbon. I bake mine at 260 for around 20-25 mins for dots and prints.

Also, check your oven temp. Get a meat thermometer and use it to check your oven temp. It may just be hotter than its supposed to be!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:43

sorry to hear this happended!!! i spray them with heavy duty starch and pop them in the oven at 275 degrees...i sometimes forget that they are there (like right now) and i have never had an issue with them UNLESS i put white ribbon on my dowels that i use for red or black ribbon it does bleed through...i dont even use a baking sheet/pan i just throw them in there...the only thing i make sure of is that my reds/blacks dont touch my lighter ribbons even in the oven...try just a small piece of ribbon at different degrees, some ovens are hotter than others OR you can also use a toaster oven at the lowest temp!