Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-30-2011, 08:55

Default I hate my knots!!!

I tie them into perfect peaks, leave them a little loose and then when I attach them they distort my bows and end up too tight or twisted looking. (the knots not the bows, but soimetimes those too ) I prefer to use centers but then you can see the thread you tie or sew with on the sides and I don't like that. Any solutions to my dilemma??
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 01-30-2011, 08:58

Default Re: I hate my knots!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieboosmama View Post
I tie them into perfect peaks, leave them a little loose and then when I attach them they distort my bows and end up too tight or twisted looking. (the knots not the bows, but soimetimes those too ) I prefer to use centers but then you can see the thread you tie or sew with on the sides and I don't like that. Any solutions to my dilemma??
I felt the same way last night while I was making bows. I am about to do a web search to see if there are any tuts on making perfect knots.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherjdrake View Post
I felt the same way last night while I was making bows. I am about to do a web search to see if there are any tuts on making perfect knots.
you should check out the NBNG site and tuts for help with this i lknow it taught me a lot hth!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:07

OMG!!!!! I was just thinking the same thing!!! I also like the look of a big bow with a 7/8in ribbon knot, but for the life of me can't get it to look right~!! The knot itself looks awful, and then when I try to wrap the ends around to the back they scrunch and look terrible!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieboosmama View Post
What size ribbon do you use for the knots? Have you tried 5/8? I use that for my 7/8 & 1 1/2 inch ribbons. Also if I am going to put a center on instead of a knot I will wrap 3/8 around the center just to cover up the threads.

Hth
Deb
Old 01-30-2011, 12:43

When I put my knot on, I put a dab of glue on the top of the bow and sit the knot on. Let that dry a little then pull the ribbon around one side and attach. Then I pull the other side around to the back, but I hold my knot in place so it doesn't move. HTH!
Old 01-30-2011, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhardison1 View Post
When I put my knot on, I put a dab of glue on the top of the bow and sit the knot on. Let that dry a little then pull the ribbon around one side and attach. Then I pull the other side around to the back, but I hold my knot in place so it doesn't move. HTH!

This is a very good tip..I just started doing this and it definately helps everything stay in place.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:02

i use 3/8" for my smaller bows that go on alligator clips and 7/8" for the bigger bows (folded in half and then knoted) I used to use 7/8" on all of them but when you fold the 7/8" in half it left a hump where that alligator would close and I didn't like that. You have to turn as you pull and that will help that peak come up. I learned years ago from LAMB. Maybe check it out to see if she has any freebie demos up?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:56

I make my knot and get the peak or tightness to what I want and then I turn it over and run some hot glue across the back, with a little glue on either side of the knot area and let it cool and then put the glue on the middle of the bow and lay the knot on top I will try to take some pics in a minute when my glue gun warms up.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlessingsBowtique View Post
I make my knot and get the peak or tightness to what I want and then I turn it over and run some hot glue across the back, with a little glue on either side of the knot area and let it cool and then put the glue on the middle of the bow and lay the knot on top I will try to take some pics in a minute when my glue gun warms up.
So are you putting glue on the inside of the knot? Just trying to get a visual I already put glue on the back of the knot to try to keep it centered. but it still pulls tighter when I wrap it around to the back. I use 3/8 on my small stuff and if it is a single little bow I can get it to do ok. But when doing a larger stacked bow it does not seem to matter what size ribbon, I have been battling this so long I can't remember if I tried 5/8 or not. May have to give it another try.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!
Sponsored Links