key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-25-2011, 06:47

Question Wood burner question.. please help?

I've been reading about wood burners that can cut and also have a V-shape tip (for making clean, crisp V-cuts).

Can you please post a photo of your wood burner if you have one of these? Or link me to a place where there is a photo? I've looked around, but I can't find one with a V-shaped tip(?)

I've seen one with an exacto blade (I'm assuming that gets hot and you can cut your korkers right on the rod)... is that how that works?

I love my wood burner, but I'd love it even more if I could cut korkers off the dowel and make nice, V-shaped spikes.

Thanks girls
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 01-25-2011, 06:56

Default Re: Wood burner question.. please help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
I've been reading about wood burners that can cut and also have a V-shape tip (for making clean, crisp V-cuts).

Can you please post a photo of your wood burner if you have one of these? Or link me to a place where there is a photo? I've looked around, but I can't find one with a V-shaped tip(?)

I've seen one with an exacto blade (I'm assuming that gets hot and you can cut your korkers right on the rod)... is that how that works?

I love my wood burner, but I'd love it even more if I could cut korkers off the dowel and make nice, V-shaped spikes.

Thanks girls
Great question! I would love to know that too. I haven't used a wood burner yet, don't really know what all you would use it for.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:29

This is an image I found of one that is similar to mine. The tip which is on this one is the one I use to cut korkers. I always leave this tip on. I cut my V's with scissors then use the barrell of my wood burner to seal the ends. I do it exactly the way the tutorial shows that another hg posted some time back. I think grammyj commented on this thread recently, so it should be in the new posts!!!! HTH!
Tasha
Old 01-25-2011, 07:45

Yep this is mine too, got it at Walmart, $8 and LOVE it! Just make sure it doesn't fall and hit a hard floor like travertine, the tip may break off

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashanwrn View Post

This is an image I found of one that is similar to mine. The tip which is on this one is the one I use to cut korkers. I always leave this tip on. I cut my V's with scissors then use the barrell of my wood burner to seal the ends. I do it exactly the way the tutorial shows that another hg posted some time back. I think grammyj commented on this thread recently, so it should be in the new posts!!!! HTH!
Tasha
Old 01-25-2011, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashanwrn View Post

Tasha
This is the same on I have. I cut my korkers on the dowel also, and never use the other tips.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:04

Thanks for posting the pic and for the helpful replies.

I had no idea that was the tip you use to cut on the dowel. I just went and bought 2 blades.

Does anyone know anything about the v-cut blade/tip? I do make my v-cuts like the tut, but I think using a specific tip might be better?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:16

Unless you buy that cutter that costs $$$$ this is pretty much the only option. There isn't an attachment for a wood burner that will make the actual "V" cut for you.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:17

i don't have a w/burner or an exacto blade for it . . . but i wonder . . . if i did, would i be able to fold the ribbon in 1/2 lengthwise & using a metal ruler, cut the "v" with the w/burner xacto blade on it . . . thereby cutting & sealing in 1 step?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
Unless you buy that cutter that costs $$$$ this is pretty much the only option. There isn't an attachment for a wood burner that will make the actual "V" cut for you.
Thanks bstimpert! That definitely answers my question

Quote:
Originally Posted by prleaf View Post
i don't have a w/burner or an exacto blade for it . . . but i wonder . . . if i did, would i be able to fold the ribbon in 1/2 lengthwise & using a metal ruler, cut the "v" with the w/burner xacto blade on it . . . thereby cutting & sealing in 1 step?
I couldn't function without my wood burner... it's like a 3rd hand to me. You can't cut folded ribbon with heat because it will fuse the fibers together. They have to be separated (as in the tut). However, you can cut and seal korker ribbon in one step.. just cut on the dowel.