Free Instructions---------Free Instructions----------Free Instructions-----------Free Instructions.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/ribbon-korker-hair-bow-clip-instructions-sm.jpg
New Instructions--How to make braided/woven headband instruction
New Instructions--How to make hair bow gift basket
Free Hair Bow Instructions-Snail
Free Hair Bow Instructions--Christmas Tree
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/bee/bumble%20bee%20sm.jpg

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/rainbow-ribbon-dragonfly-hair-clips-free-tutorial/dragonfly-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-23-2011, 09:05

Default Korker 911 Help!!!!

I just cannot figure out how to solve this korker problem!

When I am making korkers, I wrap 3/8" ribbon on 1/4" dowels. I spray them really good with heavy starch before I bake them. I bake them at 225 degrees for about 30 minutes then I spray them with starch again and allow to cool/dry.

When I take them off of the dowels, some of the korked ribbon ends become "loose" curls. Not all of my korked ribbon does this, but I would say about a third of them do this. They will be nice and tightly korked in the middle and then one end will have a larger curl.

What am I doing wrong? How can I solve this? I end up having to cut about 2 inches off the end of my korked ribbon because the curl is too big and sloppy looking.

HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2011, 09:10

Default Re: Korker 911 Help!!!!

I had this problem for a while. I figured it out eventually. It was a tension thing and a ribbon brand thing. Thicker ribbons such as yama kork excellent for me. Most of UB's do not (with the exception of black and brown. They kork fine for me.)

I also started using hair spray instead of starch on my korkers. I find it works better.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Nmd0E6MQ#gid=0

FACEBOOK GROUP FOR AWESOME BUYS:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/182211411884577/
www.PamperedPrincessPretties.com (Wholesale supplies)
Old 01-23-2011, 09:13

I agree with PP. UB doesnt kork very well for me in the lighter colors...yellow, white, light pink etc. I can get it to kork, but it takes several times baking and several starching. I dont starch at the end though.

I wrap first, run under the faucet with water, then spray starch and then bake. HTH
Old 01-24-2011, 01:54

Make sure you're wrapping with even tension and even spacing along the whole dowel. Also, make sure you're spraying your starch evenly over the whole ribbon.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:00

Thanks so much for the advice. I've tried to troubleshoot any possible scenerios, but I still can't find any consistency with the ribbon type or where it was manufactured. Sometimes the same ribbon will do fine one time and then terrible the next. I've tried to make sure that my ribbons were korked nice and tight.

I wasn't sure if maybe I needed to go up on my oven temp or not. I guess I may try that to see if it makes a difference or not. Sigh.....

If nothing else, I'll just re-bake and re-starch until they come out right, but what a pain that would be LOL!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:28

Have you tried increasing the temperature? I bake mine at 275 for 28 min.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:02

Definitely go up on the temp! I bake at 270* for 30 min. I almost never have a problem with my ribbon and I use UB.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:46

I agree. Try moving up in oven temp. It may not be a wrapping issue, it may be an oven temp issue. Everyones oven is diff. so it may be that yours is slightly cooler.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:48

I use UB for all my Korkers and I've never had a problem. But i also bake @ 275-300 for 30 min.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkincreations View Post
I use UB for all my Korkers and I've never had a problem. But i also bake @ 275-300 for 30 min.
that and also, make sure they are TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY cooled, I put mine in and then take them out and put them in the garage so I forget them until they are dry lol
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.