New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
Hipgirl 20pcs 1.75 Inch Hair Clips Barrettes--Boutique No Slip Grip Metal Babies Girls Todders Teens Women Grosgrain Ribbon Lined Single Prong Alligator Clip With Teeth, Assorted Beauty Accessories
HipGirl DIY Bulk Plain Craft Plastic Headbands--Create Individualized and Personalized Girls Women Hair Accessories (30pc 1/2" (11 mm) Inch Ivory Non - Tapered)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/30mm-webbing-dk-pink.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-22-2011, 06:18

Default Re: What's the next best glue after E6000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dede View Post
Somebody already did! Well, it's more jewelry-related, but still very useful.
thanks! just watched it . . . and it's tested gluing metal to metal & metal to a pearl . . . and aleen's jewelry & metal glue got a 10!

here's the other ratings from this video . . .

e6000 - 6 . . . uhu 2 part epoxy - 6, glass metal & more - 8, beacon 527 - 5, s/glue metal epoxy - 5, s/glue quick set epoxy - 7, liquid fusion - 4, devcon jewelry epoxy - 9.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2011, 09:51

Very helpful thread thank you ladies. I have a hard time with e6000 it doesn't stick right away. I end up having to let it nearly dry before sticking the parts together or adding a dab of hot glue in for temporary hold while the e6000 dries. Not to mention the fumes.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie View Post
maxine, just making sure you saw this report of it's usage. i'd hate for you to buy and try if it is reported to be not suitable for this type of a project
Yes, I did hon. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though (just in case I might've missed it) (hugs!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flora bella View Post

Did all of the glue actually harden or was it just the tip? I usually have to poke a needle or something in the tip and it will finally ooze out some. But I can imagine your frustration if the whole tube hardens. I love my E6000 because it does work so well but if you can't use it I guess it's kind of pointless to keep buying it!
Yes, the entire tube solidified Over the times I was still able to use it (it didn't harden overnight), I could feel the body of the tube start to harden but it would still have a squishy middle. Then, when I went back to use it, it was one solid piece. I agree with you though, I love it's holding power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dede View Post
Somebody already did! Well, it's more jewelry-related, but still very useful.
A glue video! I'm going to have to watch that ~ thanks Dede!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTrends View Post
I completely despise my E6000. It stinks. And it oozes out of the bottle and gets everything dirty. I will stick with my hot glue.
I just don't like the glue strings. Like flora said, you can use a lighter (but I don't use lighters because we have so many ceiling fans) so I only use a wood burner for sealing ribbon. I've never had a problem with oozing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prleaf View Post
thanks! just watched it . . . and it's tested gluing metal to metal & metal to a pearl . . . and aleen's jewelry & metal glue got a 10!

here's the other ratings from this video . . .

e6000 - 6 . . . uhu 2 part epoxy - 6, glass metal & more - 8, beacon 527 - 5, s/glue metal epoxy - 5, s/glue quick set epoxy - 7, liquid fusion - 4, devcon jewelry epoxy - 9.
Thanks for the report prleaf Before I watch it, does he mention anything about fabric to ribbon.. or ribbon to ribbon?
Old 01-22-2011, 10:20

For me, other than hot glue and e6000 nothing else. I know e6000 takes longer to dry but after it dries really good, I haven't had any problems. I honestly don't like to deal with e6000, so what I do is, I make a whole bunch of bows, and then I glue them with e6000, I placed 2 alligator clips to hold the bow down on the lined clip, leave it there for a day and done. If I'm in a hurry then I use hot glue. I hate the strings too, but I do my best to not leave strings on the bows.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
I hope we get some suggestions too. E6000 just doesn't like me at all
And I'm pretty sure E6000 has perchlorates in it. I'm not sure I want to be working with that stuff.

Kel
Old 01-22-2011, 12:00

I use Gem-Tac. It's for adding jewelry to everything...it's non-toxic, doesn't smell, and I've not had any issues with the items coming off.

Deanna
www.birdsongbows.etsy.com
www.birdsongbows.blogspot.com
Old 01-22-2011, 06:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by korker2010 View Post
For me, other than hot glue and e6000 nothing else. I know e6000 takes longer to dry but after it dries really good, I haven't had any problems. I honestly don't like to deal with e6000, so what I do is, I make a whole bunch of bows, and then I glue them with e6000, I placed 2 alligator clips to hold the bow down on the lined clip, leave it there for a day and done. If I'm in a hurry then I use hot glue. I hate the strings too, but I do my best to not leave strings on the bows.
I do love the holding power of E6000 (I've mentioned that) but I just can't keep it from hardening in the tube. I'd keep using it if it stayed pliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac View Post
And I'm pretty sure E6000 has perchlorates in it. I'm not sure I want to be working with that stuff.

Kel
I use sooo little of it but it does have a strong odor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsongbows View Post
I use Gem-Tac. It's for adding jewelry to everything...it's non-toxic, doesn't smell, and I've not had any issues with the items coming off.

Deanna
www.birdsongbows.etsy.com
www.birdsongbows.blogspot.com
Thanks Deanna! I'll definitely check into that!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
Yes, I did hon. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though (just in case I might've missed it) (hugs!)

Yes, the entire tube solidified Over the times I was still able to use it (it didn't harden overnight), I could feel the body of the tube start to harden but it would still have a squishy middle. Then, when I went back to use it, it was one solid piece. I agree with you though, I love it's holding power!

A glue video! I'm going to have to watch that ~ thanks Dede!

I just don't like the glue strings. Like flora said, you can use a lighter (but I don't use lighters because we have so many ceiling fans) so I only use a wood burner for sealing ribbon. I've never had a problem with oozing.

Thanks for the report prleaf Before I watch it, does he mention anything about fabric to ribbon.. or ribbon to ribbon?

unfortunately, no . . . but m/stewart uses fabric glue, if that's any help

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/ribbon-barrettes

edit . . . this applicator looks neat . . . and never heard of this glue, but i'd think the seep would be desirable for a stronger bond.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP...ource=Shopping

Last edited by prleaf; 01-22-2011 at 06:48.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by prleaf View Post
unfortunately, no . . . but m/stewart uses fabric glue, if that's any help

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/ribbon-barrettes

edit . . . this applicator looks neat . . . and never heard of this glue, but i'd think the seep would be desirable for a stronger bond.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP...ource=Shopping
Wow, thanks pr! I never thought to give good ol' Martha a look-see
Old 01-22-2011, 06:53

Ritzcamera sells glue? I never knew that. How did you know to look there? Good for you!

That glue sounds very promising!

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.