printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-07-2011, 12:04

Default Korker confusion..

Once the ribbon is korked..do you lay it stretched out and then cut your pieces to whatever size you want to make? or do you cut the pieces as they are all korked up not stretched? This is probably stupid to ask but I'm confused...

Let's just say my last korkers were not that great..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 12:54

Default Re: Korker confusion..

I kork my ribbon and then I lay it out next to a ruler/yard stick whatever. They I cut a 3" piece etc out of all of it while it is korked and then go back and heat seal the ends.
-OR- if using a woodburner:

same thing on a glass cutting board or something similiar take the 3" piece and open it up slightly so you are laying it flat for about an inch exposed and cut there. This way you arent laying it all flat and the kork should stay well.

Hope I explained this right.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59

You leave it curled to cut it. Just lay it on a flat surface (I do mine on a piece of glass) and cut it to the desired length. I use a woodburner to cut and seal in one step. I read about that tip on here and LOVE using it! As far as the length of each curl...everyone has their own preference. I go by the number of curls (5) but some people measure theirs and then cut. HTH
Old 01-07-2011, 02:03

I also take mine off the dowel and use a woodburner to cut it. I lay it on an old piece of glass from a picture frame and cut it about every 5 curls or so. HTH!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:17

Ok I see what your saying. I just ended up with lots of uneven pieces. I guess Ill just have to try them up once assembled or something. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyBean80 View Post
I also take mine off the dowel and use a woodburner to cut it. I lay it on an old piece of glass from a picture frame and cut it about every 5 curls or so. HTH!

That's what I do...I kork it as tight as I can get it (no spaces showing thru the ribbon) and then after it's baked I count the curls. Smalls I do at three curls and larges I do at 5 curls. (roughly speaking)
Old 01-07-2011, 10:39

I also just go by the number of curls, I found most times my korkers were wrapped evenly so it works out fine. Another tip I read on here somewhere before, if you have a woodburner, was to cut them while still on the dowel. They don't move around then and I find it much easier.. Cuts & seals in one go, then you can just slide them off and they're ready to go
Old 01-07-2011, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsh56 View Post
Another tip I read on here somewhere before, if you have a woodburner, was to cut them while still on the dowel. They don't move around then and I find it much easier.. Cuts & seals in one go, then you can just slide them off and they're ready to go
I have thought about that but wouldnt it ruin the dowels after awhile?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsh56 View Post
I also just go by the number of curls, I found most times my korkers were wrapped evenly so it works out fine. Another tip I read on here somewhere before, if you have a woodburner, was to cut them while still on the dowel. They don't move around then and I find it much easier.. Cuts & seals in one go, then you can just slide them off and they're ready to go
Wouldn't it start to unravel off the dowel after the first cut?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilkins View Post
Ok I see what your saying. I just ended up with lots of uneven pieces. I guess Ill just have to try them up once assembled or something. Thanks for the info.
Mine are usually uneven just b/c thats me lol I'm not into everything being precise...they usually turn out great....

--Cassie
Sponsored Links