key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-04-2011, 12:14

Default Re: Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by briellasnana View Post
OM GOSH, if they had your pp addy, how did they tap into your pp acct. without a your password?
thank you for the warning too!!!!
There are computer programs that can figure out passwords. The less letters and numbers you have, and the less types, the easier it is for the program to figure your password out.

I make it a practice to have both lower and upper case letters, numbers, AND special characters (like !#$%) in mine.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:36

My PayPal account was hijacked about two years ago and I sympathize with you. It was a hassle, but I did get the money ($600+) returned to my account.

As a precaution, I got a PayPal Security Key (now called a security key card). I haven't had a problem since! No one can hack into your account because in addition to your password, they would have to have the security key card in their possession.

Here's how it works:

1. Put your password in.
2. Before you press ENTER, press your security key card for a 6-digit code and enter those number immediately after your password.
3. Press ENTER

PayPal verifies the password and security-key-generated digit code, then logs you in to your account.

The key is FREE, I believe. For more info, go to PayPal and do a Help search on "security key card".

Hope you and others find it helpful.

Last edited by Gr82cre8; 01-04-2011 at 12:40. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-04-2011, 12:44

I forgot to mention:

If you (or a hacker) enter only your password and press ENTER, you will be prompted to enter the 6-digit security key number.

The 6- digit number is randomly generated each time you use it, so it is never the same number.

If you are away from your card and want to use PayPal, you must answer a security question correctly or risk being locked out of the account (better than losing money, though).
Old 01-04-2011, 01:04

Thats crazy!! that is why I like to PM my address too. So crazy!! I hope everything works out for you!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr82cre8 View Post
My PayPal account was hijacked about two years ago and I sympathize with you. It was a hassle, but I did get the money ($600+) returned to my account.

As a precaution, I got a PayPal Security Key (now called a security key card). I haven't had a problem since! No one can hack into your account because in addition to your password, they would have to have the security key card in their possession.

Here's how it works:

1. Put your password in.
2. Before you press ENTER, press your security key card for a 6-digit code and enter those number immediately after your password.
3. Press ENTER

PayPal verifies the password and security-key-generated digit code, then logs you in to your account.

The key is FREE, I believe. For more info, go to PayPal and do a Help search on "security key card".

Hope you and others find it helpful.

These are really cool, although they aren't free any more. It's $5. (Which is worth the security, though!)
Old 01-04-2011, 01:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetinvasion View Post
Hackers have gotten very good at baiting people as well through email. Some of the emails they send these days look very legitimate, as well as the sites their emails send you to. (It's called phishing.)

One tip to combat this, is to never, ever, ever, ever, ever click on a link in an email from Paypal, whether you are sure it's actually from paypal or not. Just make it a habit, that when you want to sign in to paypal, open a new window or tab and type in paypal's address yourself, and log in that way.

You can't ever be "fished" if you do that.
It wasnt a email that I clicked on. I got a email saying my account had been froze due to unknown charges...please contact us at.....1-800---- to get your account back in good standings. So I went to paypal and got the number to make sure it was the right number....called it and went from there. I never ever click on a link in a email.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngr78us View Post
It wasnt a email that I clicked on. I got a email saying my account had been froze due to unknown charges...please contact us at.....1-800---- to get your account back in good standings. So I went to paypal and got the number to make sure it was the right number....called it and went from there. I never ever click on a link in a email.
That's great! I was just pointing that tip out, because I still see so many people I know falling for those emails from paypal. Or their banks.

I just ordered that security key thing. I think the $5 is worth the peace of mind.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:07

I have to ask, why do people keep so much money in their paypal accounts? My brother is an artist and sells paintings and such, uses paypal to collect the monies, sometimes 3 and 4 thousand at a time and every single day he transfers his PP money to his bank account, I do this as well and have never been hacked.

If there's no money to spend there's nothing to steal.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingmom View Post
I have to ask, why do people keep so much money in their paypal accounts? My brother is an artist and sells paintings and such, uses paypal to collect the monies, sometimes 3 and 4 thousand at a time and every single day he transfers his PP money to his bank account, I do this as well and have never been hacked.

If your paypal is attached to your bank account, then if someone hacks into your account and buys things, it will pull all the money from your bank account to cover it.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingmom View Post

Years ago it was highly recommended that you clean out your Paypal acct. every night but that was back in the day when Paypal would freeze your ENTIRE account when there was a dispute filed. Since they've lost their pants in lawsuits over this, they only take out the amount in question instead of taking the whole account so it's not 'necessary' to keep it empty anymore.

If I'm making a supplies purchase from a merchant who takes CC's, I like to use my PP funds through the debit card to get the 1.5% back. That means having several hundred dollars sitting there and sometimes it takes a while to build it up to where I can use it for a purchase.

But as pointed out above, even without having funds in the account, thieves can still use it and have the money removed from your other funding sources.
Sponsored Links