Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-03-2011, 02:16

Default Twisted Bow? or just a twisted mess?

as part of the new year (and when I'm on holidays) I thought I would give 'bows' a go. I tried them once before but got totally frustrated and gave up pretty quickly. Ages ago I made my own templates out of card and decided to give them ago again following the video for the twisted bows by NBNG.

This is what I came out with. You'll have to excuse the crappy phone pics, I was too lazy to use my camera lol

The ribbon I used was only 15mm so a bit smaller than recommended but I prefer smaller-ish bows anyway. You can see how small the bow is by the first pic against my hand and I don't have huge hands.

The first two pics I was placing the bow with the outside tail the same as the tut but thought it looked weird so flipped it in the third pic and that looks a tad better but the tail points down.

So any tips...advice...dos and don'ts that you could give me? I really struggled with the making an 'X' but keeping the back pieces straight. Does straight mean in a straight line OR straight as in not all bunched up?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35

Default Re: Twisted Bow? or just a twisted mess?

I can't give you any tips, cause I'm in the same boat. These have got to be the hardest bows, ever! Your bow is much closer than mine. I can only getlike one side to do what it is supposed to do. Since I know this isn't a bow you just get on t he first try, I will keep trying!! I think you have a good start!! It looks good.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:08

Thanks! I can sorta see some potential in it lol I guess.......
Old 01-03-2011, 09:20

I say you have it. I think the tail is better down as well. Now, just shape your bow so the loops are even and starch/bake. Don't be afraid to move them around til you get them where you want them.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:45

Its definitely on its way! Use an alligator clip to hold the back down while you shape.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:23

Ah good idea! Clips come in handy, don't they?! lol

I'll keep at it.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:29

I prefer how they look when the loops are a little smaller. I only mean a tiny bit smaller than yours though. Getting them even is always an issue for me when I do them without a template. I'm so ocd I can't stand it when one loop is slightly off.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:02

It does look to me, too, that you are very close. Play around with the shaping a little. I prefer my tail to be down in front as well, sometimes I have to cut and re-seal it, though after the bow is formed to make it as short as I like. Saying the back ribbon needs to be straight means to have them straight horizontally (and overlapping, but not bunched up). I use a pin to hold mine in place - I've found it can shift a little even when using a clip to hold it. HTH and don't give up - you're super close!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:34

I have finally started to get these down. One thing someone told me that I thought I was already doing but I wasn't was angle your ribbon more!!! I think if you angle it more you will see a difference. Also your "Valleys" and "Hills" need to be dead on so that the ribbon meets right in the middle and it also helps to adjust your ribbon to make it lay right. If you don't know what I mean by that it is the ups and downs in your fold/crease. I start my folding at the bottom of the bow. I always use a "hill" first and then fold down then another hill till I have 3 hills and 2 valleys. When you do that it will make your very center crease a Hill. Here is a picture of mine so that maybe you can see what I am talking about... I tried to type it in but the words arent as visible as I thought they would be. Also I got my crease a little off(where I tied off so my bow looks a little bigger on one side. HTH

P.S The first box on the bottom left says hill and then the next valley then hill and so forth. Also where the star is at, that is what I was talking about if your crease(hills and valleys) are on then it will bring your ribbon closer together like its suppose to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hbdlf.jpg (56.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-04-2011, 05:12

Thanks for everyones tips!

I think my hills and valleys do need some work. I knew they were slightly off even when making this one and I guess it does cause quite an effect.
Sponsored Links