http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-01-2011, 05:02

Default Bottle cap experts I need ur help!

Hi girls! I have never make bottle caps before, but want to try it out
There are different ways to make them but which is the best method?
Any advise? Also how do u guys print the images so they won't smear? And how to get those nice clear images not blurry images?
Where can I buy the split rings?

Sorry I have so many questions.

Thank u in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 07:29

Default Re: Bottle cap experts I need ur help!

Hey I just made my first bottle caps the other night so I am by FAR an expert..But what I did was went down to free cycle on this forum and typed in bottle cap in the search.. found a couple that I liked printed them off at home cut them out (I have a 1 inch hole punch) then I used a glue stick and glued it on and then I mixed my ET lite and poured it on..Im not sure this if this is how everyone else does theirs but it worked for me HTH!!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:34

Haven't made a ton myself, but the ones I have made seem to do ok. I bought all my images from etsy. I take them to places like Walgreens and print them out on photo paper. I use mod podge to adhere to cap then cover image with mod podge. When that is thoroughly dry, I use Diamond Glaze and when that dries, your finished.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:16

Thanks for ur help lady's I will try see how the come up.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:47

I have bought images already printed on photo paper and cut or I print my own at home on photo paper and cut them out with a 1" circle punch.

I use resin drops and stick those to the image first and smooth it on, then glue the image to the cap with Aleenes glue.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxybunnyg View Post
Hi girls! I have never make bottle caps before, but want to try it out
There are different ways to make them but which is the best method?
Any advise? Also how do u guys print the images so they won't smear? And how to get those nice clear images not blurry images?
Where can I buy the split rings?

Sorry I have so many questions.

Thank u in advance.
Hey girlie!! Long time, no talk!

I use ET Lite for my resin. Make sure that it isn't even remotely cool out otherwise it will get this "film" on it once it cures. If it is cool out, put the bottles in a bowl with warm water to warm up the resin and sealer first. That will take care of that.

I have all my images printed at Costco. Definitely need to have them printed on photo paper so the images don't smear.

The images need to have a high resolution otherwise they will be blurry. I make my own images so I can make sure they are clear.

I buy my split rings at Michaels.

I would HIGHLY recommend buying Thermo-Web to attach your images to the cap. I cut my circles out with my circle punch, peel off one side, stick it to the cap, peel off the other side, and stick the image on. I haven't gotten any air bubbles since that sneak out when you aren't looking and ruin your cap.

I use a straw to blow on the cap about 1-2 minutes after I pour the resin to pop the bubbles.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleK View Post
I have bought images already printed on photo paper and cut or I print my own at home on photo paper and cut them out with a 1" circle punch.

I use resin drops and stick those to the image first and smooth it on, then glue the image to the cap with Aleenes glue.
Thank's for your help!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah4185 View Post
Hey girlie!! Long time, no talk!

I use ET Lite for my resin. Make sure that it isn't even remotely cool out otherwise it will get this "film" on it once it cures. If it is cool out, put the bottles in a bowl with warm water to warm up the resin and sealer first. That will take care of that.

I have all my images printed at Costco. Definitely need to have them printed on photo paper so the images don't smear.

The images need to have a high resolution otherwise they will be blurry. I make my own images so I can make sure they are clear.

I buy my split rings at Michaels.

I would HIGHLY recommend buying Thermo-Web to attach your images to the cap. I cut my circles out with my circle punch, peel off one side, stick it to the cap, peel off the other side, and stick the image on. I haven't gotten any air bubbles since that sneak out when you aren't looking and ruin your cap.

I use a straw to blow on the cap about 1-2 minutes after I pour the resin to pop the bubbles.

Hope that helps!
Thanks so much Heather that was very helpful, i'm gonna get all my supplies together and see what I come up with...it's been a long time
since ive been wanting to try it out but never have time or the stuff
to make them lol.

Do you bake your caps? ive heard people that does but why?

by the way "congratulations on your little one" she is beautiful I just
saw the pic you posted
Old 01-04-2011, 02:32

Um, don't bake them. You need to keep them level and free from dust and curious little fingers. I put wax paper on my cookie sheet and then stick the pan in the oven overnight. Warn the dh though. I, being a baker, chef, mom, knows what I am doing in the kitchen person, ALWAYS opens the oven door prior to preheating. DH does not. He baked my caps and the fumes were so terrible he had to take all 3 kids, including our 10 week old outside while the house aired out. I have one less cookie sheet now.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxybunnyg View Post
Thanks so much Heather that was very helpful, i'm gonna get all my supplies together and see what I come up with...it's been a long time
since ive been wanting to try it out but never have time or the stuff
to make them lol.

Do you bake your caps? ive heard people that does but why?

by the way "congratulations on your little one" she is beautiful I just
saw the pic you posted
Aww ~ thanks!! She is really something! Those 3 girls keep me on my toes.

I don't bake my caps. I just let them dry in the room ~ takes about 24-36 hours to cure completely. I've heard of baking them to get them to set faster. Makes me nervous, though. I'm thinking "fire hazard". Don't know about that for sure, though.

Oh ~ make sure you come back and check your caps at about 1-2 minutes and then again at 10-15 because there are always straggler bubbles that come up. I even check again around 1/2 hour later. If they are big ones (which the later ones are), you can pop them with a pin.

You doing okay?